Problems using SMSL SD-1955+ DAC with Win XP and Acer Aspire One - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 10:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Problems using SMSL SD-1955+ DAC with Win XP and Acer Aspire One

I have an issue using the SMSL SD-1955+ DAC with Win XP on an Acer Aspire One (AO751). I am trying to use this as a music server and i use WINAMP 5.63 as my audio player. I use the USB 2.0 port on the laptop to connect to the USB input on SD-1955+. It only seems to be a problem with this laptop. Regardless, of Winamp configuration or laptop audio configuration (and believe me i have tried all the usual fixes and tweaks), i get "snap, crackle and pop" replay until Winamp keels over and locks up, usually within a few minutes. The only solution is to kill Winamp process in Task Manager and restart Winamp. I say its only a problem on the Acer One because i have 2 other laptops

1) Acer Aspire 5742 Win 7 OS
2) Samsung NC10 Win XP SP3

and the Winamp/SD-1955+ works perfectly on these platforms every time! Typical, i have to get it working on the Acer One because that was what i purchased for the job!

I did some research into possible solutions and ended up trying the ASIO4ALL ver 2.10 WINAMP plug-in driver instead of the default Nullsoft DIRECTSOUND driver. Lo and behold, a big improvement - the playback was much more robust (no WINAMP crashes) but playback still gets interrupted, stutters and is not really useable. I have tried all the usual buffer settings in ASIO Control Panel but no resolution. Is it time to cut my losses, ditch the Acer Aspire One and get a Win 7 laptop that has much better i.e. more up-to-date USB sound support and drivers?

Hide this!Advertise here!