Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2013, 08:35 AM   #1
JanErik is offline JanErik  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Coaxial SPDIF and transformer, DIR9001

Is it absolutely necessary to use a transformer, or can I connect the coaxial input directly to the DIR9001 input, perhaps with a 75 ohm load resistor?
Will be using motherboard output.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Not essential, no. But if you want the lowest noise (normally means best SQ) then use a transformer to gain isolation from your motherboard.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Seems some people have used the transformer off an old Ethernet card, would that be OK?
Old 20th February 2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Probably it'll work, might not be the lowest jitter though because they're not usually very high primary inductance. Whether you're going to be bothered by jitter depends on the kind of DAC its feeding - certain S-D ones (without on-chip switched cap filters) are the most sensitive.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It will be feeding a PCM1794A.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Sin Bin

That's one of the more jitter sensitive ones in my estimation as its using off-board I/V conversion. If you want the best sound then probably best pay at least some attention to how the transformer is distorting the S/PDIF waveform - you need high primary inductance and low leakage inductance. But then again if you use the TI recommended opamps for I/V (NE5534) its attention that's not worth paying because the opamps will probably be the weakest link for SQ, not jitter.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The PE-65612, sold by Mouser (and others) is a transformer made for this application. currently it's only $5.26 (US). Futher, The 9001 data sheet page 8, (last two bullets) indicates that with a coaxial input, a buffer is needed. Pavouk suggests a 75176, which requires a 5 volt supply in addition to the 3.3 volts needed by the CD9001 itself. The 75176 output is TTL, which is acceptable to the 9001's input. Careful attention to the transmission and input signal IMHO, will reduce the chance of jitter.

Hide this!Advertise here!