Potato 74G14 vs Fairchild 74VHC14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I really am only interested in using the 74_14 in the best way possible, which is why I started the thread. Hopefully if you look at my first reply, you'll see this. Perhaps i didn't make myself clear.

So, to be 100% clear, this is about the 74_14, not any alternative. No matter how "really wrong" anyone thinks this is, it's what I'm asking about. Except that now, I'm not asking. I don't want help or advice. Thank you. I can self-educate thanks to this, which gives me access to the world's libraries, and if I want any particular library I can set it in preferences. Cool tool.

art of electronics - Google Scholar

Also, contrary to the above posts, the 74_14 works very well, and the purpose of the thread was to establish why faster was not better, and if there was a way to optimise the use of a 74_14.

In fact, it turned out that the part's speed was not the problem, well, according to what I found out. It seems that the trigger needs very clean power and a very clean input signal or it will create noise on the rising edge, and a bit of ringing too. I suspect that is why the DACs designer had used RC (100R, tiny C value - can't measure it) after the vhc. I'm really impressed with Tanly Audio. The guy knows how to make DACs.

Anyway, it should be noted that the original worked very well and it was my hacking that messed it up, and that there's nothing wrong with the Potato part either.

So, back to the circuit; I removed the shunt C and put some resistor wire across the 100R and it sounded really good, better than the VHC and better than any other DAC I have, including the ES9018.

So I thought, well, if that is better, then I should remove the 100R and wire, and use some copper strip to emulate a pcb trace. Unfortunately, this degraded the sound again. So, I've ordered some 0R thin film and will try them next. And if that doesn't work, I'll try 22R with a wire bypass.

Anyway, this is just a follow up comment to end my contribution and give a conclusion for anyone reading this later. I already clicked "unsubscribe". :)

So now I'm just waiting on some group buys, and then I'm John Denver.

Peace and love to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.