quick question about Behringer DCX2496 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Banned

Default quick question about Behringer DCX2496

I'm new to 2496. I'm building XLR > XLR and XLR > RCA cable. I don't know I should solder them in stereo mode or mono. any help is much much appreciated soldering iron is hot so a faster reply is a big favor
Old 4th February 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't understand the question. A cable carries one signal, a DCX output is balanced XLR which you can also use unbalanced (single ended) RCA. The DCX has 6 outputs for 3-way stereo (or less).
Do you mean balanced/unbalanced instead of stereo/mono?

jan
Old 4th February 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Banned

I don't know what is the difference if there is two RCAs at one end, it should be stereo. aint it?
Old 4th February 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
tomtom is offline tomtom  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Yes two RCA /and two XLR/ make stereo pair. You also probably need to lower output level. Simple two resitor lpad that you can solder inside RCA conector is enough.
Old 4th February 2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Yes two RCA /and two XLR/ make stereo pair. You also probably need to lower output level. Simple two resitor lpad that you can solder inside RCA conector is enough.

Uh thanks, where can I find more info about resistor values? any picture of XLR to RCA wiring?
Old 4th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #6
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would buy ready made cables initialy it may be safer.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldies View Post
I don't know what is the difference if there is two RCAs at one end, it should be stereo. aint it?
Do you understand that in stereo you have two separate signals for the left and right side speaker?

Do you understand that the purpose of the DCX2496 is to split up each of those signals in three different ones, for the low, mid and high frequencies? So that this makes for a total of 6 channels (3 left, 3 right)?

Forget for the moment the type of connector, make sure you got a clear picture of what you want to do. Do you have multiple amps to drive the individual drivers in each speaker?

jan
Old 4th February 2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Do you understand that in stereo you have two separate signals for the left and right side speaker?
Uh come on I'm not that much stupid I knew this

Quote:
Do you understand that the purpose of the DCX2496 is to split up each of those signals in three different ones, for the low, mid and high frequencies? So that this makes for a total of 6 channels (3 left, 3 right)?
yes I know DCX2496 is a Crossover device. will split signal to diffrent portions to go to the right driver. I have designed XOvers countless times. with different slops.

Quote:
Forget for the moment the type of connector, make sure you got a clear picture of what you want to do. Do you have multiple amps to drive the individual drivers in each speaker?
all these because it's my first time with this dammit connector (XLR). Ok. 3 input and 6 output. I know I have to use 3 amps per channel (if mono). but I'm gonna use this crossover for a 2-way to cross HF to go to a 2A3 SE amp then to horn. and LF to woofer cabs. my problem is that I do not know XLR > RCA should be balanced to unbalanced. balance have two RCA right? unbalanced 1? am I right?
Old 4th February 2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

RCA is unbalanced. You could use 2 RCA to run a balanced signal, but it's almost never done.

With the DCX you just connect XLR pin 2 to the RCA center pin, then connect XLR pins 1&3 to the RCA body. That changes it from balanced to unbalanced. However, as stated above, you probably want to reduce the level, it's pretty hot coming out of the DCX.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
RCA is unbalanced. You could use 2 RCA to run a balanced signal, but it's almost never done.

With the DCX you just connect XLR pin 2 to the RCA center pin, then connect XLR pins 1&3 to the RCA body. That changes it from balanced to unbalanced. However, as stated above, you probably want to reduce the level, it's pretty hot coming out of the DCX.

Uh thanks. very useful entry. should I do some kind of attuanation on the output? if so, how many db?

Hide this!Advertise here!