diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/)
-   -   quick question about Behringer DCX2496 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/229307-quick-question-about-behringer-dcx2496.html)

oldies 4th February 2013 06:28 AM

quick question about Behringer DCX2496

I'm new to 2496. I'm building XLR > XLR and XLR > RCA cable. I don't know I should solder them in stereo mode or mono. any help is much much appreciated :o soldering iron is hot so a faster reply is a big favor :D

jan.didden 4th February 2013 06:37 AM

I don't understand the question. A cable carries one signal, a DCX output is balanced XLR which you can also use unbalanced (single ended) RCA. The DCX has 6 outputs for 3-way stereo (or less).
Do you mean balanced/unbalanced instead of stereo/mono?

jan

oldies 4th February 2013 07:07 AM

I don't know what is the difference :( if there is two RCAs at one end, it should be stereo. aint it?

tomtom 4th February 2013 07:36 AM

Yes two RCA /and two XLR/ make stereo pair. You also probably need to lower output level. Simple two resitor lpad that you can solder inside RCA conector is enough.

oldies 4th February 2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtom (Post 3355133)
Yes two RCA /and two XLR/ make stereo pair. You also probably need to lower output level. Simple two resitor lpad that you can solder inside RCA conector is enough.

Uh thanks, where can I find more info about resistor values? any picture of XLR to RCA wiring?

marce 4th February 2013 12:24 PM

I would buy ready made cables initialy it may be safer.

jan.didden 4th February 2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldies (Post 3355115)
I don't know what is the difference :( if there is two RCAs at one end, it should be stereo. aint it?

Do you understand that in stereo you have two separate signals for the left and right side speaker?

Do you understand that the purpose of the DCX2496 is to split up each of those signals in three different ones, for the low, mid and high frequencies? So that this makes for a total of 6 channels (3 left, 3 right)?

Forget for the moment the type of connector, make sure you got a clear picture of what you want to do. Do you have multiple amps to drive the individual drivers in each speaker?

jan

oldies 4th February 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Do you understand that in stereo you have two separate signals for the left and right side speaker?
Uh come on I'm not that much stupid :D I knew this

Quote:

Do you understand that the purpose of the DCX2496 is to split up each of those signals in three different ones, for the low, mid and high frequencies? So that this makes for a total of 6 channels (3 left, 3 right)?
yes I know DCX2496 is a Crossover device. will split signal to diffrent portions to go to the right driver. I have designed XOvers countless times. with different slops.

Quote:

Forget for the moment the type of connector, make sure you got a clear picture of what you want to do. Do you have multiple amps to drive the individual drivers in each speaker?
all these because it's my first time with this dammit connector (XLR). Ok. 3 input and 6 output. I know I have to use 3 amps per channel (if mono). but I'm gonna use this crossover for a 2-way to cross HF to go to a 2A3 SE amp then to horn. and LF to woofer cabs. my problem is that I do not know XLR > RCA should be balanced to unbalanced. balance have two RCA right? unbalanced 1? am I right?

Pano 4th February 2013 02:12 PM

RCA is unbalanced. You could use 2 RCA to run a balanced signal, but it's almost never done.

With the DCX you just connect XLR pin 2 to the RCA center pin, then connect XLR pins 1&3 to the RCA body. That changes it from balanced to unbalanced. However, as stated above, you probably want to reduce the level, it's pretty hot coming out of the DCX.

oldies 4th February 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pano (Post 3355473)
RCA is unbalanced. You could use 2 RCA to run a balanced signal, but it's almost never done.

With the DCX you just connect XLR pin 2 to the RCA center pin, then connect XLR pins 1&3 to the RCA body. That changes it from balanced to unbalanced. However, as stated above, you probably want to reduce the level, it's pretty hot coming out of the DCX.

Uh thanks. very useful entry. should I do some kind of attuanation on the output? if so, how many db?