Best place for digital isolator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing DF1704/AD1865 DAC wiith USB inputs ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/206626-tas1020b-based-asynchronous-usb-i2s-spdif-converter-24bit-96khz.html). All critical signal will be reclocked by clean master clock before AD1865 (master clock will be aslo send too USB interface ). I would try isolating DAC chip with ADuM and i have dillema as Adum will itroduce additional jitter - is better place isolation before just reclocking circuit near AD1865 before digital filter or before digital filter?

Were it me, I would put the isolation directly at the USB input. The largest source of jitter, in my view, is the noise pollution from the computer's power supply & ground lines. Computers are horrifically noisy environments, even when they have extremely quiet, linear power supplies(which they very rarely do, even on battery), as the high speed processing circuitry modulates the supply lines enormously, which in turn contaminates the ground. This has theoretically zero effect on data files, but I believe it can have a large effect when that data file is converted to an audio datastream, as timing becomes a critical factor at that point. So, if we assume that the TAS1020 has a negligible/manageable noise contribution, then isolating it's usb input from the computer's supply & ground lines should minimise the largest source of jitter. My own experiments have borne this out in practice. I prefer, however, to use ethernet instead of USB, as it has complete transformer isolation from the computer built into the format.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.