About tube DACs? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 03:18 AM   #121
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Discrete SS for I/V stage has always sounded great to me (I especially liked Zapfilter Mk2 and Legato 3.1), but I'm not a fan of most-opamp I/V stages. I'm sure good sound is possible with opamps, I just did not like most of the ones I've heard. I think what the OP heard was an opamp-based analog stage. They seem to measure well, I wonder what's amiss.
Old 26th January 2013, 05:53 AM   #122
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
Feedback does NOT correct colourations in actual practice, a more often feedback corrects most, but then adds distortion of it's own, due to the time delay involved.
Properly designed feedback and circuits with sufficient open-loop bandwidth do not suffer from the time delay. TIM and it's ilk hasn't been an issue since the 1970's.

Quote:
But, seriously, dude, you are VERY obviously prejudiced against tubes.
I probably am - from decades of working with tube gear.

I would love to see factual evidence of tubes sounding objectively better than a properly designed solid state circuit.
Old 26th January 2013, 06:00 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I would love to see factual evidence of tubes sounding objectively better than a properly designed solid state circuit.
And I'd like to see an objective (that means falsifiable) description of 'properly designed' but I very much doubt you're going to give us one.
Old 26th January 2013, 06:06 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post

How does something sound objectively better than something else? Or do you just mean measurements?
Old 26th January 2013, 06:13 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I'm guessing he's meaning a DBT designed, administered and evaluated entirely by robots Or zombies?
Old 26th January 2013, 06:20 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I'm guessing he's meaning a DBT designed, administered and evaluated entirely by robots Or zombies?
Hehe... well if so, the result would not have much value to any human.
Old 26th January 2013, 06:34 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And I'd like to see an objective (that means falsifiable) description of 'properly designed' but I very much doubt you're going to give us one.
How about "using modern engineering guidelines"? Nothing magic about it.
Old 26th January 2013, 06:36 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

It seems clear that this word 'falsifiable' is a bit of a sticking point for you. A dose of Karl Popper perhaps?
Old 26th January 2013, 06:39 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
How does something sound objectively better than something else? Or do you just mean measurements?
I do consider double-blind ABX as "objective" in the sense that you isolate away other perceptual factors than the actual listening experience. Thus you get a reasonably objective indication of what people actually hear, instead of what they think they should be hearing. No, not objective in an absolute sense, but do you have suggestions for better methods that don't boil down to "I think like this because I think like this"?
Old 26th January 2013, 06:43 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It seems clear that this word 'falsifiable' is a bit of a sticking point for you. A dose of Karl Popper perhaps?
It is? You are the one who used the word, not me. But yes, "proper design" can definitely be described in a way that is falsifiable in the Karl Popper sense - the example mentioned here was TIM - simply a result of not following proper design guidelines.

Hide this!Advertise here!