Hacked TDA1541 CD Player USB DAC Idea - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2013, 04:28 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
The eBay seller informed me that the I2S output is 44.1 kHz 16-bit. So probably the coax and optical output (not implemented on my unit) can go up to 96 kHz 24-bit.
Interesting. I wonder then why I wasn't successful in connecting to the I2S input of the YM3414. I thought it was because the signal was coming in 24 bit "words".
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:17 PM   #32
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default 16-bit 44.1 kHz data stream

Upper trace: DATA
Lower trace: LRCK (44.1 kHz stretched to full scale)
fSCLK = 64 x fLRCK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB_I2S.jpg (92.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 25th April 2013, 01:02 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Might there be a problem with my unit? I read the I2S Bus specification from Philips, and it says the WS line changes one clock period before the MSB is transmitted. However on the oscilloscope screenshot above the MSB is transmitted several clock periods after the WS edge. I suppose the receiver TDA1541A expects the MSB according to the I2S spec, but it gets zeros for 3 or 4 clock periods, then it comes the real MSB (let's call it Bit15), which it interprets as Bit12 or Bit11, and the analog signal is attenuated accordingly by 8 or 16.
Old 25th April 2013, 08:25 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Might there be a problem with my unit? I read the I2S Bus specification from Philips, and it says the WS line changes one clock period before the MSB is transmitted. However on the oscilloscope screenshot above the MSB is transmitted several clock periods after the WS edge. I suppose the receiver TDA1541A expects the MSB according to the I2S spec, but it gets zeros for 3 or 4 clock periods, then it comes the real MSB (let's call it Bit15), which it interprets as Bit12 or Bit11, and the analog signal is attenuated accordingly by 8 or 16.
Maybe there is a problem with your USB unit? I wish I could give you more ideas but I can see that you are more advanced in electronics that I am. All I can say is that I connected the I2S signal from the converter board directly to the I2S inputs on both a TDA1541 and a TDA1541A with no problems. The only other thing I can think of to make sure the proper mode is selected with pin 27 on the TDA1541A.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can join the thread...
Old 26th April 2013, 06:17 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Problem solved

I installed the TeraLink-X2 driver, and the USB to I2S converter works properly
Old 26th April 2013, 06:37 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I installed the TeraLink-X2 driver, and the USB to I2S converter works properly
That's great! Are you going to do any modifications to the converter board and/or the CD player board?
Old 27th April 2013, 05:59 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I am happy with my new toy for now
The CD player board is a testbed only for trying some mods that I would transfer to my actual CD player if they work (like DEM clock mods etc.)
Old 1st May 2013, 10:10 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I'd be interested in knowing how those mod tests go. Feel free to post your findings here.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:00 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

So I've gotta bunch of classic Philips CD players, with their internal TDA1541A, TDA1545A and TDA1543 DAC beggin' to return to their glory days...
...and along comes a POTENTIAL $23.00 USD solution from HK/China's nutsaudio.com ...
Click the image to open in full size.

SPECS:

24/96 USB > SPDIF + ANALOG TE7022 + I2S CONVERTER for DAC
ALREADY ASSEMBLED

Input voltage : AC 9V or DC 8~13V or by USB
PCB Size : 80mm x 40mm
D/A chip: N/A
USB : Chip : TE7022L
Digital inputs: 1 X USB
Outputs: ANALOG - not available , DIGITAL - RCA + I2S

Methinks this is the same board posted way back on page 1 of this thread ... IAC... what do you folks think?Are they really nuts ... or might sticking the board above into a Philips CD-650 be an interesting experiment? Anyone tried this (or similar board, breadboard DIY or China kit)?

Last edited by hollowman; 7th August 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 7th August 2014, 01:16 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

This is the very same board I also have. I soldered the I2S output wires to the holes, but not installed it into the CD player. It works with a PCB that is removed from a Philips CD player.

Hide this!Advertise here!