Hacked TDA1541 CD Player USB DAC Idea - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 05:47 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

So I stole DC power from the CD player PCB and connected it directly to the 7805 on the converter board. There was a big difference. Much flatter reproduction. Still a bit of a problem around 1k and lacking a little detail, but it's getting pretty good now. For the next upgrade I think I'll stick the 12MHz TCXO on a fancy clock board that I'm not using right now. Any other suggestions?
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:36 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

More improvement! Doing some reading on the Internet I discovered that using iTunes may have been part of my problems. This is a very low budget project and I'm using Mac OS 10.4 on an old PowerPC based PowerBook so my options are limited. I found two free players: Vox and Play. Using Vox resulted in a minor upgrade, but Play gives me a very nice sound.

Here are the links to the two free players:
Vox :: The Lightweight Music App for Mac OS X
Play from sbooth.org
I think Vox has the better interface, but I only care about sonic quality right now. Beggars can't be choosers...

I'll still put the TCXO on the clock board soon. I guess I could buy a low jitter clock too. VALab has one on ebay that's not too expensive. What about upgrading the voltage 3.3V regulator to the TE7022 chip?
Old 6th April 2013, 05:08 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Success! Putting the clock on high quality clock board with its own power improved the sound. Bass from Vox used to be "boomy"but not anymore. For now Vox seems to be the winner. Does anyone think it would be worth upgrading the 3.3V power to the TE7022 chip?
Old 15th April 2013, 11:53 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I'd like to improve the power to the TE7022. Right now I've got about 14VDC from the player PCB going to a 5V regulator on the USB board. A surface mount 3.3V regulator for the TE7022 is connected to the 5V regulator output.

I don't need 5V on the USB board anymore because the TCXO is now on a separate board with its own power. Would it work to simply remove the 5V regulator and then run the 14VDC directly to the input pin of the 3.3V regulator?
Old 16th April 2013, 05:49 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Also, what's a decent 3.3V regulator to upgrade to from the one on the board?
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:13 AM   #26
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I also bought this TE7022-based board, and hooked it to the I2S pins of a TDA1541A on a board from an old Philips player. I sent 16/44.1 audio from my PC. It seems the LRCK is 44.1 kHz, but the data is still 24-bits. The analog audio output it too low. Still playing with it...
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
I also bought this TE7022-based board, and hooked it to the I2S pins of a TDA1541A on a board from an old Philips player. I sent 16/44.1 audio from my PC. It seems the LRCK is 44.1 kHz, but the data is still 24-bits. The analog audio output it too low. Still playing with it...
That is strange. I have a very similar installation and there is lots of gain. I2S output from converter board directly to I2S input of a TDA1541A chip. Did you disconnect the I2S lines coming from the SAA7220?
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:55 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Also, did you ground the signal? GND (next to SCLK on my converter board) needs to be connected to ground on the CD player PCB.
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:09 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Yes and yes. When playing back a full scale sine or square wave I get 235 mV peak-to-peak instead of 6 V on both channels. To be honest I never tested this PCB with a transport. The DC level at the output of the I/V opamp is 3 V, so I suppose it works as it should. (Mute is disconnected, analog filter is bypassed).
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:26 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

The eBay seller informed me that the I2S output is 44.1 kHz 16-bit. So probably the coax and optical output (not implemented on my unit) can go up to 96 kHz 24-bit.

Hide this!Advertise here!