Hacked TDA1541 CD Player USB DAC Idea - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2013, 10:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Shouldnt work with YM, it wants 384Fs MCLK, but Tenor AFAIK supplies 256Fs.

Bypass YM (don't break it, just cut traces between YM and TDA), feed TDA from Tenor.
This way you loose rather nice digital filter... uh... and go rather creepy route of NOS /some may argue, so i'll tag it "IMHO"/

Last edited by s3tup; 25th March 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
Good job so far!

It sound like you might be sending the 1541 24 bits worth of data and it can only accept 16 bits so the resulting waveform is "too loud"

Are you able to change the bit depth (16, 24 bit) and rate (44, 48, 96, 192 ...)?
I am using iTunes on an old PowerPC based Mac running OS 10.4. I played a CD and 16/44.1 AIFF files with the same result. Is it possible that iTunes is sending 24 bits?
Old 25th March 2013, 11:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
Shouldnt work with YM, it wants 384Fs MCLK, but Tenor AFAIK supplies 256Fs.

Bypass YM (don't break it, just cut traces between YM and TDA), feed TDA from Tenor.
This way you loose rather nice digital filter... uh... and go rather creepy route of NOS /some may argue, so i'll tag it "IMHO"/
Please correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but I got the impression that the YM would be happy with anything 16/44.1 that got sent its way since it has its own clocking from an oscillator on the PCB and doesn't require an MCLK signal.

Last edited by themartianboy; 25th March 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think that the middle of page 6 of the YM3414 datasheet supports what I was saying about using an asynchronous input. But then SyncS should be "L". On the CD player it is currently set to "H".
Old 26th March 2013, 11:14 AM   #15
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I am about to buy the same board with I2S output. Is it transparent, meaning if I play 16-bit/44.1kHz WAV file on my PC and send it to the USB, will the board send the same bit resolution and bitrate to the I2S pins? Also does Windows XP recognize the board as external USB DAC? Finally, what is the function of the little switch? Thanks.
Old 26th March 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
I am about to buy the same board with I2S output. Is it transparent, meaning if I play 16-bit/44.1kHz WAV file on my PC and send it to the USB, will the board send the same bit resolution and bitrate to the I2S pins? Also does Windows XP recognize the board as external USB DAC? Finally, what is the function of the little switch? Thanks.
Those are good questions. The little switch is for switching between USB power and an external power source. I'm not sure about Windows XP specifically, but I can tell you that it is a USB audio class 1 device. As for transparency, I have no idea. Maybe somebody else has the answer to that?
Old 26th March 2013, 06:56 PM   #17
josha is offline josha  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

If you bypass the filter, you may have to reroute pin27 of the tda1541 also. On your cdp it's connected to - 5v, IIRC on the saa7220 based players it was connected to +5v. I MIGHT BE WRONG!! (check the data sheet!) This pin sets the input mode of the tda to accept different formats
-5v is simultaneous mode whereas +5v is TWC, I think you need twc if you go direct. Apologies, writing this on a phone so no access to the data sheets!
Old 27th March 2013, 12:29 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josha View Post
Hi there,

If you bypass the filter, you may have to reroute pin27 of the tda1541 also. On your cdp it's connected to - 5v, IIRC on the saa7220 based players it was connected to +5v. I MIGHT BE WRONG!! (check the data sheet!) This pin sets the input mode of the tda to accept different formats
-5v is simultaneous mode whereas +5v is TWC, I think you need twc if you go direct. Apologies, writing this on a phone so no access to the data sheets!
I would agree if I was going directly into the TDA1541A. But I was thinking that if I have to resort to bypassing the filter chip, I could do it right at the output of the filter, and take advantage of the circuit that appears to reclock (?) and split the signal into left and right channels. Then, I believe, I don't need to change the H/L value at pin27.

Last edited by themartianboy; 27th March 2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: correction
Old 27th March 2013, 03:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josha View Post
Hi there,

Oh man, you're totally right. I thought the filter chip was outputting an I2S signal, but it's not.
Old 27th March 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I gave up on running it through the filter. I patched it directly into a TDA1541 in another old CD player with tube output stage for some NOS action. It sounds decent, but not yet as good as from the CD player's transport. I'm hoping that an external power upgrade will help.

Somewhere on this forum I once read that the TE7022 relays information in 24/96 format, even when receiving 16/44.1 data. I suspect that this is true, and that's why I was having trouble patching into the YM3414 filter chip, which seems to require 16 bit "words". (Apparently the TDA1541 is friendlier to 24 bit data, simply ignoring the last 8 bits.)

If you are looking for 16 bit, JarekC makes a board that he can configured to send in 16 bits. I'm not sure if it's "transparent" with respect to sampling frequency though.
TAS1020B-based Asynchronous USB to I2S/SPDIF converter 24bit/96kHz

Hide this!Advertise here!