DAC / HTPC input questions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 08:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DAC / HTPC input questions.

I've been lurking and learning and DAC shopping for quite a while now... But i have a few unanswered questions...

I want to clean up my signal chain from my HTPC to my stereo, and get myself into a different (for me) DIY project.

Right now i have HDMI from my GFX card out to my TV, then using the analog outs on the TV into a Harmon Kardon receiver (with a broken amp section) that i use as a pre-amp feeding my amp.

So first up is a DIY DAC, then a pre-amp.

But im having a hard time figuring out what inputs I need. My computer has all three of course, Optical, coaxial, and USB.

Should i use USB to get the processing out of the computer case?

Or is optical or SPDIF OK too since its all just digital information? will extra noise escape on any of these formats?

Another option:

The TV (cheap vizio) also has an optical output right next to the analog audio out. Is it safe to count on this output for quality information so that i could use the TV for input switching still? Would the TV be just passing along unadulterated digital information, or does it do processing of its own before it sends it out on the TOSlink?

I'm trying to keep the cost of the kit down, as this will be my first serious soldering project, and i'd hate to mess up an expensive setup.

Last edited by brandontw; 14th January 2013 at 10:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!