DQ DAC 2, BIII SE, Tube-I-Zator, Arduino, Amanero Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
DQ828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lake Macquarie, East Coast Australia
Default DQ DAC 2, BIII SE, Tube-I-Zator, Arduino, Amanero Build

I have already built a standard BIII using the IVY as the output stage & control it all with an Arduino Mega, I'll call my approach passive control as I did not remove the BIII firmware chip. When I setout on that journey I was not aware of HifiDUINO and the fact that the BIII could be controlled directly from the Arduino via the removal of the BIII firmware chip, that I could never have worked out for myself. As I had already set my goals and was well into the project I decided to see my approach to it's final conclusion, which I'm glad to say I have done and it's all working very satisfactory. I have had lots of help on the way & I thank all of those people very much. I have included a photo of the original which is still in it's prototype cloths.

I have always wanted to try tubes/valves and after much reading finally decided the preamp DAC stage was probably the way to go, at least for me that is. I had originally intended on removing the IVY from the original build and installing the Tube-I-Zator in it's place, but after coming across the HiFiDUINO blog and after much hand wringing and bank account fretting the DIY bug go the best of me again, so I decided to build a completely separate DAC = DQ DAC 2

I have gathered all (or most) of the components & as soon as my speakers are completely finished I will get this project into full swing.
One of the really scary parts of the project is the code required to make the whole thing work, if it wasn't for a very helpful community I would never be able to do it on my own as I am code challenged. I had a lot of help from my ex (yes my ex wife who was a programmer in a past life) on the original build as well as other DIYers.

So this build will consist of:
  • BIII SE
  • Tube-I-Zator I/V Stage
  • Arduino Mega
  • ITead Studio 3.2 TFT LCD Touch Shield
  • Amanero USB interface
  • 12V Trigger outputs to trigger my amps & Active analogue crossover
  • SPDIF, Toslink & BNC inputs I think.
  • Apple Remote control, damn I need to buy another one.
I do have one issue with the Apple remote I am using at the moment which is small & beautifully made, I keep losing it

The remote will control the:
  • Volume
  • Balance
  • Source Selection
  • Sleep function
  • Dimming Screen backlight
  • and many other functions that HiFiDUINO and others have built in.
As I am also electronically challenged I am drawing a diagram of how it will all go together before I start building, that way I hope to reduce errors & disasters.

I'm looking at using Potato Flip Flops so I can re-clock the Amanero with the BIII clock, of course I'll be standing on the shoulders of giants to make that happen.

As I have purchased parts of the build at different stages with different outcomes in mind I do have at least one issue I haven't worked out yet. When I had the transformer made for the Tube-I-Zator I had an extra 5v secondary put in, now I wish I had made it a 12v secondary. As it stands I figure I'll probably be able to run the Mega from the 5v secondary but I will not be able to run the 12v triggers from it which means I need another PSU, which I was hoping not to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-09-12 Arduino Touch Screen01.JPG (223.1 KB, 1216 views)
File Type: jpg 13-1-9 BIII SE01_2.JPG (676.0 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg 13-1-9 BIII SE01_1.JPG (545.3 KB, 1147 views)
File Type: jpg 13-1-9 BIII SE01.JPG (632.9 KB, 1089 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 10th January 2013 at 10:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Just had a quick skim of your plans, looks fun!

Being a touch pedantic and I know you haven't had a chance to think it through yet, but, I think you'll need to re-think the reclocking scheme, you won't be using the fixed speed clock from the BIII for the reclocking. Maybe I'm mistaken though? qusp/bigpandhak/glt will be along and correct me I am sure In fact, is the reclocking mod mostly for those who are using synch mclk for the DAC? Or does it help for asynch too?? Hmmm I'm no 9018 pro so best wait for the brains trust to arrive ...

Acko might be able to help you with a new board he's working on that could get you a neat solution with the Amanero though
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:46 AM   #3
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
DQ828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lake Macquarie, East Coast Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Just had a quick skim of your plans, looks fun!

Being a touch pedantic and I know you haven't had a chance to think it through yet, but, I think you'll need to re-think the reclocking scheme, you won't be using the fixed speed clock from the BIII for the reclocking. Maybe I'm mistaken though? qusp/bigpandhak/glt will be along and correct me I am sure In fact, is the reclocking mod mostly for those who are using synch mclk for the DAC? Or does it help for asynch too?? Hmmm I'm no 9018 pro so best wait for the brains trust to arrive ...

Acko might be able to help you with a new board he's working on that could get you a neat solution with the Amanero though
I could have got the whole reclocking thing clocked up

Hmm $150, my budget is already blown & I dont have a case yet.

Last edited by DQ828; 10th January 2013 at 10:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I could have got the whole reclocking thing clocked up

Hmm $150, my budget is already blown & I dont have a case yet.
$150 is for the Teflon board and designed to match his turbo clock, he's talking about a vanilla version too, price as yet unknown.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 11:23 AM   #5
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
yes, unless you are actually using the amanero clock for clocking the BIIISE the reclocking mod is totally superfluous. the BIIISE already uses its onboard clock to not only control the dac, I believe it has some flipflops that reclock the incoming bck/lrck/sdata now. you can see them directly after the i2s inputs IC5.ICx, ICx on D2, D1, DCK.

the amanero reclocking mod is only of any benefit if you plan to use the ESS in Synchronous mode, at which point I would suggest you get a fifo reclocker , because the onboard clocks on the amanero will not allow the full 44.1->384 speeds with the oversampling filter turned on, they need 90.3168/98.304MHz clocks for that, so they are 4x too slow unless you disable the OSF.

otherwise have fun!! the acko lower budget version should still allow the reclocking cleanly at the speeds supported, perhaps we could suggest an optional 4 x multiplication of the clock on his board, which could add very minimal jitter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 04:02 PM   #6
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yes, unless you are actually using the amanero clock for clocking the BIIISE the reclocking mod is totally superfluous. the BIIISE already uses its onboard clock to not only control the dac, I believe it has some flipflops that reclock the incoming bck/lrck/sdata now. you can see them directly after the i2s inputs IC5.ICx, ICx on D2, D1, DCK.

the amanero reclocking mod is only of any benefit if you plan to use the ESS in Synchronous mode, at which point I would suggest you get a fifo reclocker , because the onboard clocks on the amanero will not allow the full 44.1->384 speeds with the oversampling filter turned on, they need 90.3168/98.304MHz clocks for that, so they are 4x too slow unless you disable the OSF.

otherwise have fun!! the acko lower budget version should still allow the reclocking cleanly at the speeds supported, perhaps we could suggest an optional 4 x multiplication of the clock on his board, which could add very minimal jitter.
See Buffalo III - SE

There is still benefit in reclocking the Amanero output with the Amanero clocks into a asynchronously operated Sabre32 but you are limited to 192K.

You could also take the output clock from the clock on-board the BIII and use that clock to reclock the output of the amanero board. This will not limit the SR to 192K since this clock is 100 MHz.
__________________
www.hifiduino.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
DQ828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lake Macquarie, East Coast Australia
I will get the whole thing up & running before I do the reclocking, I imagine that will be some time away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 02:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I will get the whole thing up & running before I do the reclocking, I imagine that will be some time away.
I was hoping you would do the clocking thing sooner so I can figure out what to do with mine.

I like your plan!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
See Buffalo III - SE

There is still benefit in reclocking the Amanero output with the Amanero clocks into a asynchronously operated Sabre32 but you are limited to 192K.

You could also take the output clock from the clock on-board the BIII and use that clock to reclock the output of the amanero board. This will not limit the SR to 192K since this clock is 100 MHz.
what makes you think amanero will work at 100MHz or a multiple/division of it?

oh hang on, you are suggesting to do exactly what I thought was already happening?

Last edited by qusp; 12th January 2013 at 03:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 03:12 AM   #10
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
See Buffalo III - SE

There is still benefit in reclocking the Amanero output with the Amanero clocks into a asynchronously operated Sabre32 but you are limited to 192K.

You could also take the output clock from the clock on-board the BIII and use that clock to reclock the output of the amanero board. This will not limit the SR to 192K since this clock is 100 MHz.
hmm OK interesting, well sure have a bash. I was under the impression that they do reclock the incoming clock to the onboard clock and they looked like the best candidates.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tube-I-zator Professional PCB dvb projekt Group Buys 845 3rd November 2013 07:42 PM
FS : Tube-I-Zator DAC IV pinnocchio Swap Meet 14 8th March 2013 01:35 PM
Use Arduino to control BIII bigpandahk Twisted Pear 4 9th August 2012 08:52 AM
Tube-I-zator SRPP DAC I/V-Stage circuit discussions dvb projekt Tubes / Valves 40 14th May 2012 03:23 PM
Arduino for pre-amp or DAC control Zero Cool Everything Else 2 6th August 2011 01:55 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2