DQ DAC 2, BIII SE, Tube-I-Zator, Arduino, Amanero Build - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 11:29 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Working yet Dave?
Old 3rd March 2013, 07:49 PM   #62
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Working yet Dave?
No, not game to turn it on, Need to test everything first, I find it hard be believe I have all the wires in the right locations, it would be nice if I did work first time.
Old 3rd March 2013, 07:55 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

What was that saying, and also album from a rock band from down under, Airbourne? No Guts. No Glory.

Looks great! Nice work Dave!
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:29 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
What was that saying, and also album from a rock band from down under, Airbourne? No Guts. No Glory.

Looks great! Nice work Dave!
No gut's No Smoke
Old 5th March 2013, 09:47 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

No smoke so far, but haven't got far.
I have been reminded why I shouldn't wire when it's late & I'm really tired. The A/C relay input board works, but haven't applied the full load yet. The 12v SMPS works, the tranny that I had wired up incorrectly still works probably helped by the fast blow 2A fuse I had in the A/C inlet. The Placid HD is working after a bit of confusion & the BIISE appears to be working, all lights on. I was worried when one of the LED didn't light up but it turned out the voltage was too low.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:05 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

One step closer, glowing tubes & still no smoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-03-06 DQ DAC 201.JPG (761.2 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 13-03-06 DQ DAC 201_2.jpg (930.0 KB, 306 views)
Old 6th March 2013, 12:27 PM   #67
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Lovely job!

Really impressive build there. have you seen that Oliver has recommended alternative resistors. Mine is a dual mono build so I'm going to play with the values using cheaper resistors and then buy them to try out once I've got the right value sorted out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...-resistor.html
Old 6th March 2013, 07:47 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Really impressive build there. have you seen that Oliver has recommended alternative resistors. Mine is a dual mono build so I'm going to play with the values using cheaper resistors and then buy them to try out once I've got the right value sorted out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...-resistor.html

Thanks for the tip.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:42 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Well there's good news & bad news, if you look at the photo's it wont be hard to pick some of the bad news

The good news is, it's playing music from the Amanero input & from the SPDIF input, solid lock on both. I cant comment on sound quality as I've cobbled together a couple of old SABA drivers & attached them to the Kingrex amp that normally doesn't get used anymore.

But there's plenty of bad news, obviously the bloody screens upside down I used a different screen but from the same supplier as my other DAC and assumed it would be the same, I don't know if it can be turned over via the software, I'm going to be really pissed if I have to physically turn it over. The other bad news is nothing on the screen actually appears to work, yes nothing. The volume numbers go up & down but it has no effect on the actual volume, the rotary encoder doesn't work, Input, Sample rate you name it, it doesn't work. I'd almost think the Arduino isn't actually talking to the BIII SE except I have music, thank goodness. Probably the only reason I can switch between sources is that on the BIII SE all you really need to do it is a couple of relays.

I'm starting to think I should have waited until somebody who was good at coding got a BII SE working before I went down this road as with my body of coding knowledge it could take the rest of my life to fix it

You know I really like listening to Aaron Copland, you guessed it that's what's playing. Oh, and it's playing via Foobar, which is another first.

You know all these problems but I've still got a big smile on my face, can't be too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-03-09 DQ DAC 201.jpg (694.3 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 13-03-09 DQ DAC 201_1.jpg (720.8 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 9th March 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 17th March 2013, 09:13 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

I have been battling away trying to get the rotary encoder switch to work, you would think it was the simplest thing in the world to do but I have tried everything to no avail. I have changed the code to use the remote instead of the rotary encoder so I can change the BIIISE input parameters I would still like to get the switch working so I don't have to use up the limited remote keys, but I'm completely stumped with what is stopping the switch working.

I have also been trying to rotate the screen via the software but once again I have spent long hours playing with the screen controller .H file with no success. The software author says it's possible, but obviously not for me.

The screen is smaller than the one I used for the first DAC but it is definitely better, it's crisper & can be viewed from almost any angle. It's looking like I'm going to have to pull the thing apart & rotate the MEGA. I need to do it soon as my neck is killing me.

Hide this!Advertise here!