DQ DAC 2, BIII SE, Tube-I-Zator, Arduino, Amanero Build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 10:14 AM   #21
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

hmm mate both have their drawbacks, think I like 1 better but its not ideal either. both are very cramped. can you rotate the BIIISE 90 degrees clockwise in layout 2 and sit the dac outs pretty much directly over the inputs? that way the control wires dont cross over all the analogue stuff, the current outputs especially, i2s lines are only marginally longer and with the acko iso they are driven anyway so length is not as much an issue. seems a lot to be running from a single 5v secondary.
Old 18th January 2013, 10:16 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
Sorry, I'm confused?
what about? I dont think I can put it another way, the isolator has an input power supply and an output power supply, both LDOs are on the board, just need to supply raw DC for input and output sides, output side should probably come from, or be grounded at the dac. input side should come from somewhere else ir the isolator is a bit pointless, maybe from amanero itself its 5v output (direct from USB power, not regulated except on the ISO board)

Last edited by qusp; 18th January 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:42 AM   #23
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
what about? I dont think I can put it another way, the isolator has an input power supply and an output power supply, both LDOs are on the board, just need to supply raw DC for input and output sides, output side should probably come from, or be grounded at the dac. input side should come from somewhere else ir the isolator is a bit pointless, maybe from amanero itself its 5v output (direct from USB power, not regulated except on the ISO board)
Yeah sorry, whats left of my brain is fried, it was 45C here today. I thought you were responding to my layout.

Thanks for the input, I'll ponder the options

thanks again
Old 18th January 2013, 12:21 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

well I responded to both =)

yeah I saw that 46c, apparently that weather is on its way up here tomorrow
Old 19th January 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Before I get too far again I would greatly appreciate any input on the latest iteration. I have tried to get a good Jpeg that you can view from the thread but the only way I can get a reasonable quality is to save it as a pdf. There are a lot of bits that are not connected in this version but it is the general layout that matters. I have taken the advice given, to do this I had to make the case bigger than originally planned. I have added an OTTO to switch between the 2 SPDIF inputs. I'm not completely sure how the Isolator reclocker is to be wired to the BIIISE, or how the OTTO connects to the Mega or do I connect it to the BIIISE?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13-1-19 DQ DAC 2 Setout 3.pdf (361.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 19th January 2013, 10:05 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi DQ,

Looks good to me (I did originally comment on SNA but since qusp is replying over here it might be more logical to keep all comments on here, perhaps).

One thought, are you limited to height of the enclosure?

It may be worthwhile pulling the IV stage higher and slide the BIII-SE underneath it and shorten the BIII outputs even more. You could then stack the arduino level shifter above the arduino board and run longer lead wires for the spdif switching into the enclosure, say on the 'front' side of the BIII-SE rather than currently close to the back of the enclosure and pull the case narrower if you wanted? That way the amanero board would be on one side and the otto would be on the other side of the BIII. Does that make sense? It has been a long day here so I might not be as clear as otherwise :/

What dimensions of the enclosure are more critical to you? Height/width/depth?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 19th January 2013, 10:41 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

This is the best I can do re resolution, here are versions 2, 3 & 4

hochopeper

I caught your advice on SNA & applied to to one of the versions, It's getting confusing

I'll read through your last post after I post this, thanks

Setup 4 looks the best to me as long as having long I2C lines to the BIII from the Mega isn't a big problem.

The idea with the Mega is to have it at the front corner as per the Sketchup Jpeg so I can connect the USB with ease in the future, the Sketchup Jpeg is of DQ DAC 1 which is playing at the moment but still in it's prototype cloths as per the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-01-19 DQ DAC 2 Setup 2.jpg (411.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg 13-01-19 DQ DAC 2 Setup 3.jpg (478.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 13-01-19 DQ DAC 2 Setup 4.jpg (305.1 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 12-11-23 DAC-Arduino Build Top.jpg (343.4 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 12-10-29 Arduino Control01_1.JPG (651.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 12-12-07 DQ DAC 1.jpg (233.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 12-09-09 Arduino Touch Screen01_3.JPG (499.9 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 19th January 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:08 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I was wrong the dimensions of Setup 3 & 4 they are fine 360W x 355D the internal height needs to be kept to 75mm as the finished design needs to be no bigger than one of the amps I built.

If I move the BIII under the I/V stage it's going to make getting to things difficult & I hate that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-06-15 Aussie Amp1.JPG (309.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 12-06-15 Aussie Amp1_1.JPG (263.6 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 19th January 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:23 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

And the tooooooobs out the top of the 75mm enclosure or included in the 75mm?

I am familiar with the aussie amps enclosures that you built from your SNA thread but man they look good, still. Didn't know they were 'only' 75mm tall. I just received some 151mm x 300mm conrad heatsinks arrive here this week for my next amps
Old 19th January 2013, 11:31 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
And the tooooooobs out the top of the 75mm enclosure or included in the 75mm?

I am familiar with the aussie amps enclosures that you built from your SNA thread but man they look good, still. Didn't know they were 'only' 75mm tall. I just received some 151mm x 300mm conrad heatsinks arrive here this week for my next amps
I like the idea of the Toooobs out the top but I dont think it's going to happen, fortunately the tubes are only 45mm high (Full Music 12AX7)

The heat sinks I used are only 75mm high x 350mm long.

What type of amps are you going to built, A class by the size of the heatsink

Hide this!Advertise here!