What happens to an audio signal from media player to dac - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 08:27 AM   #41
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vtz View Post
"No differences" is the problem here, and how that can be known.
You want bit perfect, well then, that's simple: you compare every bit.. And you obviously can't to that visually with Audacity, and you surely already lost the battle if you need to match volumes. You'd need som other tooling for that that looks for the phase difference between the two files, and when found compares the two (it's a litte bit more complicated than that) sample for sample. If there is no phase difference, then checksumming is indeed the way to go.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:39 AM   #42
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post

As for jitter, I do not have a good way to measure SPIDF or USB jitter, but in many ways I don't care. What I do care about is if it makes a difference to the analog output of the DAC. That is the signal that matters, because that is the signal I listen to.
Bless you. This very simple and obvious notion seems to be beyond the grasp of many audiophiles.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:47 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
now wait a minute... you're basically saying that all those people in the search for the perfect USB cable should just find real hobbies or, God forbid, simply start enjoying the music? you're basically questioning the validity of thousands of lyrical cable reviews out there, you do realize that, don't you? shame on you, that is one cruel perspective
Old 11th January 2013, 09:04 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
cruel perspective
No, the cruel ones are the people selling that stuff

Last edited by 4real; 11th January 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:18 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
but what's wrong with the excitement of waiting for the doorbell to ring, hoping it's the postman bringing the new USB cable? or with the joy of unpacking the nice package with trembling hands, to discover a nice, colorful, silky-smooth sleeve? or with the impatience of writing a review for it at CA? or... with the the fact that it brings oh-so-much-more closeness to the music yet at the same time leaving just the tiniest room for improvement, so that the noble quest for a better one can continue?
I truly think all those hours in the lab looking at scopes made you forget the simple joys of life when did we lose our humanity?

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 11th January 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:29 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess all those things actualy do bring those people closer to music, exactly the same might happen to you after spending those hours at the lab fidling with some new gadget. On that point, there is no real difference...

.. People get off on much stranger things
Old 11th January 2013, 09:31 AM   #47
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
but what's wrong with the excitement of waiting for the doorbell to ring, hoping it's the postman bringing the new USB cable? or with the joy of unpacking the nice package with trembling hands, to discover a nice, colorful, silky-smooth sleeve? or with the impatience of writing a review for it at CA? or...
Nothing, really. If that's the talisman which helps your brain enjoy the music more (or just entertain you), then there's nothing wrong with that. Now once you (or the guy selling the talisman to you) try to relate this to physical reality, expect that evidence-based sourpusses will probably say mean things unless there's some actual evidence. But that changes the enjoyment and entertainment not one whit.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:37 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
now wait a minute... you're basically saying that all those people in the search for the perfect USB cable should just find real hobbies or, God forbid, simply start enjoying the music? you're basically questioning the validity of thousands of lyrical cable reviews out there, you do realize that, don't you? shame on you, that is one cruel perspective
You're jumping to a major delusion there - in assuming the SQ differences attributed to cables are down to jitter. IME they're not - CM noise is the culprit. Async USB is immune to jitter as the clock's in the DAC, the guys (for example Charles Hansen of Ayre) do still report SQ differences with that
Old 11th January 2013, 09:48 AM   #49
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You're jumping to a major delusion there - in assuming the SQ differences attributed to cables are down to jitter. IME they're not - CM noise is the culprit.
I guess some of us might be sourpusses enough to ask for some kind of proof of the validity of your theory...

Quote:
Async USB is immune to jitter as the clock's in the DAC, the guys (for example Charles Hansen of Ayre) do still report SQ differences with that
Ah, yes, so the people selling the stuff report differences. Right....

Last edited by Julf; 11th January 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:51 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I guess some of us might be sourpusses enough to ask for some kind of proof of teh validity of your theory...
I was speaking of my experience (IME expands to 'in my experience'), not my theory.

Hide this!Advertise here!