Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case, it does, otherwise it must travel around the power lines which is a mile away.

yeah I think I already established it was a long way around.... I like to give advice that can be applied to many cases and allows people to think for themselves (sometimes people become very frustrated at me for that). there are also capacitor leads punching through the ground plane and linking top and bottom? all over the place.

but you are still going with the old fashioned 'conventional' view of circuit theory. the electrons actually flow from Negative to Positive, its holes that 'flow' from positive to negative. the signal does not really travel along the wires and then back along under the wires in opposite directions in a nice linear manner. ideally we would like them to flow cleanly, but I would be very surprised if it were that neat in this board. electrons actually flow rather slowly, as opposed to the charge. but thats beyond the scope here, the circuits still worked amazingly, even though we had it all completely backwards.

a 'hole' is the absence of an electron

Hole Flow
Electrons and 'holes'
Conventional Flow vs Electron Flow

now i'll leave you scratching your head, as I was when I first came upon this concept a few years ago :scratch:

at this stage in conversation its usually easier to just pretend its not happening and not rock the boat so as to avoid arguing/explaining it every time, but its an interesting factoid to bring up here ;)

Last edited:
yeah, had enough of your advice, I dont care for it. the advice you are giving in the thread now seems to be starting to resemble my old livelihood crippling advice anyway. but no, no value in the content I included, even if it predates the research you had to go off and do, in order to come back and confirm what ive been saying all along. it would not have taken up so much room if you didnt argue the point about it so long before accepting it.

you are at least as much to blame for the proliferation of comments

Last edited:
but thats beyond the scope here, the circuits still worked amazingly, even though we had it all completely backwards.

just in case this was taken to refer to the circuit here, it refers to the fact that humanity, all of electronics pretty much believed current to be flowing the other way, but luckily for us, it worked anyway.

gusp,

I am confused by your reference to three articles on "holes". Those are all on the atomic level or slightly higher. The unfortunate tangent that the thread went off on was about the path of electrons on a macro level. So I do not see the relevance.

Now can we please get back to building and playing around with the $99 DAC? I know it is has some problems, I bought it to play around with and maybe build a DAC for one of my friends on the cheap.

Those are all on the atomic level or slightly higher.

as is the construction and operation of solid state devices/circuits, you dont see the connection? N channels are doped with electrons, while P channel devices are doped with holes. its the very basis around which these devices work. also subatomic would be more accurate

please override your brain reflex, its qusp not a g in sight

let us know how cheap it turns out

Last edited:
The doping isn't done with electrons (they'd flow away anyway to equalize the charge), its done with atoms which are electron donors. Conversely, for P type with hole donors.

you read me too literally.

yes carriers, but i'm not going to pretend i'm an expert in the area, I simply brought it up as an alternative view. the channels have atoms with an excess of electrons or holes respectively, but the doping is an effect at the subatomic level.

I already linked a few technical papers on the subject for those who want to know more. my point was, its not as neat as we thought. and it has EVERYTHING to do with solid state electronics

Last edited:
no, I mean channels in the solid state devices. as in N-Channel, or P-Channel, or PNP/ NPN transistors you do know what I mean yes? the dac, the PC, the opamps, everything is partially made up of doped atoms. in the case of ESS is not truly complementary so is mostly N channel afaik, electrons flow FROM ground to a more positively charged area and holes flow TO 'ground' or a more negatively charged area. basically its the opposite of what we thought for a long time; or rather the flow can be the same, but its holes that flow that direction, not the electrons between atoms

its all covered in the links I made in that post

You can think about current as the flow of electrons, which go from negative to positive, or as the flow of holes, which go the other way. If you are reallly into semi-conductor theory it makes a difference which one you use, but otherwise you aren't likely to care. We usually use hole flow because the direction agrees with the decision that the early scientists made when they had to pick a direction to use in their calculations. It's traditional.

you read me too literally.

Nope, I simply read what you wrote - 'N channels are doped with electrons' - and corrected you because that's wrong, they're not.

yes carriers, but i'm not going to pretend i'm an expert in the area, I simply brought it up as an alternative view. the channels have atoms with an excess of electrons or holes respectively, but the doping is an effect at the subatomic level.

Nope, that's still wrong. But as you seem not to want to learn I'll not explain a more correct view this time - you can find out for yourself :D

Nope, I simply read what you wrote - 'N channels are doped with electrons' - and corrected you because that's wrong, they're not.

Nope, that's still wrong. But as you seem not to want to learn I'll not explain a more correct view this time - you can find out for yourself :D

you didnt at any point explain a more correct view....par for the course...

but OK it seems carrier is just another name for hole aka charge carrier. if you actually read the whole post instead of picking a little bit to disagree with, you would see I had the correct gist of it, then linked to more knowledgable folks.

an extra electron, or one less electron charge has to come from somewhere, how do you propose they get the excess or lack of them into the implanted atoms? picking a hole in making a positively doped or negatively doped atom and implanting that, with adding or removing electrons is just argument for the sake of it

it was a novelty for **** sakeI find it interesting, but not interesting enough to devote my life to learning a new branch of science.

can you ignore a thread?

Last edited:
Do you mean channels in the ground plane?

;)

I used a ruler :)

No, that's wrong. Rulers are used for measuring the direct distance between two points on a lateral plane. You used a cutting edge. This is not the same. You should read this white paper on the molecular structure of the leading edge of a continuous cast single-crystal nickel-titanium super alloy. It has neither dendritic formations or an equiaxed granular structure but is a single crystal and therefore, even under an electron microscope, has a flat edge because it has no grains. You should use a nickel-titanium super alloy cutting edge.That's what you should do. You can thank me now.

It seems that link doesn't work. Maybe try this : http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wh...74,d.bmk&fp=e9fe9caeb27ca466&biw=1092&bih=533 and follow the second result. You-know-who.

Last edited:
I see a pattern emerging, people ask for more detail as was done with this flawed design and at many points through both threads, then whine when the answer doesnt suit them.

then when all else fails, make a joke.

what does a ruler have to do with channels, me thinks the joke is misplaced, but I understand you had to make it at all costs

but then we always have belief.

Last edited:
no, I mean channels in the solid state devices. as in N-Channel, or P-Channel, or PNP/ NPN transistors you do know what I mean yes? the dac, the PC, the opamps, everything is partially made up of doped atoms. in the case of ESS is not truly complementary so is mostly N channel afaik, electrons flow FROM ground to a more positively charged area and holes flow TO 'ground' or a more negatively charged area. basically its the opposite of what we thought for a long time; or rather the flow can be the same, but its holes that flow that direction, not the electrons between atoms

its all covered in the links I made in that post

We were talking about issues in the ground plane which is a conductor (you know copper) and suddenly we jumped into n and p channels, semiconductor doping, electron, holes... What's the relation to the ground plane?

Well, at least I used a magnifying glass

;)

No, that's wrong. Rulers are used for measuring the direct distance between two points on a lateral plane. You used a cutting edge. This is not the same. You should read this white paper on the molecular structure of the leading edge of a continuous cast single-crystal nickel-titanium super alloy. It has neither dendritic formations or an equiaxed granular structure but is a single crystal and therefore, even under an electron microscope, has a flat edge because it has no grains. You should use a nickel-titanium super alloy cutting edge.That's what you should do. You can thank me now.

It seems that link doesn't work. Maybe try this : whay am I such and ******** - Google Search and follow the second result. You-know-who.

Status
Not open for further replies.