Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 04:36 AM   #391
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
i've never used the offset nulling with opamps and es9018, only with a common gate follower and jfet based. the fact is, it DOES lower distortion and noise, but its not critical if it matches AVCC/2 exactly. the most important factor for distortion performance is low impedance, low noise AVCC supply/layout and unimpeded low impedance connection (signal and return) to the IV convertor, which should also be high gm to complete that picture. the performance difference of 'current mode' vs 'voltage mode' is at least as large as the datasheet says, any research/measurements i've seen to do with this have been more profound if anything

Last edited by qusp; 29th March 2013 at 04:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:03 AM   #392
Flac is offline Flac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by smms73 View Post
The TPS7A47 has very low noise 4uv , NCP700B has also low noise (10uv) and easy to use, you can use a pr-regulator with a output voltage of 5 volts and then a NCP700B 3.3v .

Despite the fact that shunt regulators have lower efficiency . But a good shunt regulator like Salas is hard to beat, in terms of noise and psrr.

also see the :
Services

lots of information about regulators . Like this one

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Improved_PN_Regs.pdf


Thank you very much for the links, much appriciated.

Cheers,

Peter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 02:50 PM   #393
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
vuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: zagreb, croatia
My Diyinhk es9018 + amanero + hifiduino combo is playing for a week. Digital power supply is LT1763 + LM317 (enhanced) as preregulator. It started with another LT1763 for analog power supply, but changed it for a pooge derivate with LT1963 as a prereg. The difference between LT1763 and pooge is quite big - former being hard and glassy in comparation. I started with current mode opamp output stage (ada4898+LM49990) but to my ears passive voltage out with Cinemag cmli15 output xfomers (1:1) sounded better so that's what I'm listening now. Oscillator is 100MHz SAW. 74hcu04 is used for spdif to ttl conversion. Good quality components are used but nothing special except 0402 smd caps directly on ps pins of es9018.
It sounds nice.

Thanks to diyinhk, glt & amanero!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac.jpg (85.2 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg detalj.jpg (71.5 KB, 531 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 05:39 PM   #394
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuki View Post
My Diyinhk es9018 + amanero + hifiduino combo is playing for a week. Digital power supply is LT1763 + LM317 (enhanced) as preregulator. It started with another LT1763 for analog power supply, but changed it for a pooge derivate with LT1963 as a prereg. The difference between LT1763 and pooge is quite big - former being hard and glassy in comparation. I started with current mode opamp output stage (ada4898+LM49990) but to my ears passive voltage out with Cinemag cmli15 output xfomers (1:1) sounded better so that's what I'm listening now. Oscillator is 100MHz SAW. 74hcu04 is used for spdif to ttl conversion. Good quality components are used but nothing special except 0402 smd caps directly on ps pins of es9018.
It sounds nice.

Thanks to diyinhk, glt & amanero!
Good job!, especially soldering those 0402 caps. Are you using this pooge:
http://www.andrewweekes.talktalk.net/pooge_551.htm ?

Perhaps diyinhk should have 0402 caps per-installed in all of the power pins in his next version of the board.
__________________
www.hifiduino.wordpress.com

Last edited by glt; 30th March 2013 at 05:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 07:48 PM   #395
Flac is offline Flac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Hi there,

how did you hook up that display, grasping up the right data to display from the diyinhk board ?

TIA,

Peter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 08:34 PM   #396
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
vuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: zagreb, croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flac View Post
Hi there,

how did you hook up that display, grasping up the right data to display from the diyinhk board ?

TIA,

Peter.
Everything is explained on glt's site.
I didn't use level converter for I2C connection, just 10k resistors on sda and scl lines. Tried ADUM isolator, but couldn't get it to work - as soon as I connected ground to dac side of isolator arduino would go berzerk.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 08:44 PM   #397
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
vuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: zagreb, croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Good job!, especially soldering those 0402 caps. Are you using this pooge:
POOGE ?

Perhaps diyinhk should have 0402 caps per-installed in all of the power pins in his next version of the board.
Yes, that's the schematic - I used 1n4148 for reference, jfet for simple current source (I know bjt would be better) and adjusted the values for 3v3 output.

0402 caps are a bit larger than pins spacing so it's really tacky job to solder them without shorting anything ; for proper job PCB revision would be needed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:32 PM   #398
LuisMCP is offline LuisMCP  Spain
diyAudio Member
 
LuisMCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Madrid, Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by guglielmope View Post
Hello,
the board works!!
My proto ES9018 player.
I'm waiting for the new relese.
I use external SEN I/V
In the next days I'll compare with Buffalo II
Ciao
Guglielmo
Did you this comparation?


Regards,
Luis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:06 PM   #399
Flac is offline Flac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Question Troublesome night

Crying out for some help here after some desperate nights ...

I've been wondering if someone had the same experienced b4.

Build my DIYINHK board, added an Amanero and plugged it in into a W7 Laptop downloaded and configured foobar and audiogate. Got Audiogate to play DSD, 96, 48 and some others of which the names may nt be mentioned here .

After playing a couple of days I thought let's ask the DAC what sample rate it is playing. This can be read in registers 31-28 according to the datasheet and a lot of info I got from glt's hifiduino site although I do use another MCU. I even succeeded in that and displayed the I2S samplerate on a 3.2'' LCD from 4D-Systems.

Now there is where the fun started, it always replied 44100 rounded and calculated with single floats, even playing a 48 or 96 kHz sampled piece of music. Source verified, it is 48 or 96. The DAC insisted in replying 44100. Now I found in the W7 sound devices, the one can setup the sampling rate/bits per sample to use when playing in shared mode. This can only be set to one rate/bits per sample from a list of possibilities. I got as high as 48000 and 24 bits per sample anything higher went to the situation that the DAC is not being able to get a lock on the I2S signal coming out of the Amanero (driver 1.0.56).

Any ideas, tip or tricks

Also, the highest sr/bps selectable is 192/24 and as far as I know, the Amanero is capable of more (384/24 ?). Any tips are welcome here as well.

This pmo (excuse my english) real time, since I hoped listening to some quality music here, I was listening to f..g 44.1 that was not really the expectation I was going for. So I turned to foobar and set the thing up described on the hifiduino side as well, same story, plays all well if I do not exceed 48 kHz sr higher rates get same behavior -> no lock on signal.

It is even getting worse, trying to play 2.8 DSDs. played alright but only with a very disturbing undertoon like from a bad psu. That never happened using Audiogate. DAC clock is 75 MHz.

Any help from you guys will be much appreciated, and if you once get nearby my place you are in for some beers and if the season allows some nice bbq taste ....
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:25 PM   #400
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madrid - Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flac View Post
Crying out for some help here after some desperate nights ...

I've been wondering if someone had the same experienced b4.

Build my DIYINHK board, added an Amanero and plugged it in into a W7 Laptop downloaded and configured foobar and audiogate. Got Audiogate to play DSD, 96, 48 and some others of which the names may nt be mentioned here .

After playing a couple of days I thought let's ask the DAC what sample rate it is playing. This can be read in registers 31-28 according to the datasheet and a lot of info I got from glt's hifiduino site although I do use another MCU. I even succeeded in that and displayed the I2S samplerate on a 3.2'' LCD from 4D-Systems.

Now there is where the fun started, it always replied 44100 rounded and calculated with single floats, even playing a 48 or 96 kHz sampled piece of music. Source verified, it is 48 or 96. The DAC insisted in replying 44100. Now I found in the W7 sound devices, the one can setup the sampling rate/bits per sample to use when playing in shared mode. This can only be set to one rate/bits per sample from a list of possibilities. I got as high as 48000 and 24 bits per sample anything higher went to the situation that the DAC is not being able to get a lock on the I2S signal coming out of the Amanero (driver 1.0.56).

Any ideas, tip or tricks

Also, the highest sr/bps selectable is 192/24 and as far as I know, the Amanero is capable of more (384/24 ?). Any tips are welcome here as well.

This pmo (excuse my english) real time, since I hoped listening to some quality music here, I was listening to f..g 44.1 that was not really the expectation I was going for. So I turned to foobar and set the thing up described on the hifiduino side as well, same story, plays all well if I do not exceed 48 kHz sr higher rates get same behavior -> no lock on signal.

It is even getting worse, trying to play 2.8 DSDs. played alright but only with a very disturbing undertoon like from a bad psu. That never happened using Audiogate. DAC clock is 75 MHz.

Any help from you guys will be much appreciated, and if you once get nearby my place you are in for some beers and if the season allows some nice bbq taste ....
I'd recommend you download and install the correct Amanero's ASIO driver (the one that matches your Windows 7 version -> 32 or 64bit) which you can find here:

Index of /drivers/asio


You may not have configured Foobar and Audiogate to use ASIO or WASAPI which are needed to get bit perfect.

For Foobar setup you can try this guide:

Foobar 2000 for Dummies (Part 1) | DIY-Audio-Heaven

Foobar 2000 for Dummies (Part 2) | DIY-Audio-Heaven

Check you have selected ASIO or WASAPI as "Driver Type" in Audiogate and Combo384 in the device drop down selection list, Sample rate as "Automatic" though I'm not sure it is capable of sending native DSD to the sound card.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BUILD THREAD - A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac opc Digital Line Level 667 27th August 2014 10:15 AM
High Performance WM8741 Upsampling DAC New Version build thread (show 'n tell too) merlin2069er Digital Source 354 7th April 2013 08:51 PM
Pass D1V3 DAC - build thread spzzzzkt Pass Labs 224 8th December 2012 03:40 AM
Gamma-1 DAC build thread mattmcl Digital Line Level 8 20th January 2012 11:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:39 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2