Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 01:16 PM   #351
diyAudio Member

Hello,
if you are thinking at a new version may be interesting to separate also the digital and analog 1,2V.
Ciao
Guglielmo
Old 4th March 2013, 03:46 PM   #352
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guglielmope View Post
Hello,
can you indicate me on the picture what you suggest me to cut?
Looking the picture I've cutted the one on the right side without any result.
Ciao
Guglielmo
Hmmm... Cutting the right one you circled "should have" disconnected one of the corner AVCC pins. There are 8 AVCC pins: 4 in the corners and 4 in the sides/middle of the chip.

When you cut the trace, do you still have continuity?
Old 4th March 2013, 03:51 PM   #353
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Fairly low noise too.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:39 PM   #354
diyAudio Member

Another "discovery": it turned out that the C-Media Win XP DirectSound driver for CM6631 USB to I2S converter always converts signal bit depth to 16. It simply ignores any application settings. There is no control panel (I could not find one) to change this setting. All my previous measurements were made for 16 bit ESS playback and 24 bit EMU recording. But I have found workaround: I play RMAA test signal wav file using the foobar2000 and the C-Media ASIO driver. ASIO driver has small control panel for bit depth setting (default is 16 bit) which is accesible from foobar. Then I use "recording only" option of RMAA. This way I have full 24 bit measurement. It now shows that the noise level of ESS board is really lower than EMU ADC recording capabilities. Of course my previous results are still valid. Only noise level shown was too high. Power supply bybpass capacitor influence on harmonic distortion can be observed with this new measuring method too. My test setup looks like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

and my power supply:

th c-media control panel:

and the results: noise level

THD+N

Old 4th March 2013, 10:49 PM   #355
Account disabled at member's request

Impressive ! Getting closer to the theoretical limit for 24 bit.

A few years ago, I borrowed an spl meter - my hifi creates a maximum 119dB in my living room in the listening position, which is about 20bit, and when ambient noise is factored in, I don't need much over 16bit. And yet, I can hear differences that maths and measurements say I should not be able to, at volume levels significantly less than maximum.

I can hear things I can't measure, and I can measure things I can't hear. But that's just me.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:34 AM   #356
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
Impressive ! Getting closer to the theoretical limit for 24 bit.
Unfortunately, what we can see on my graphs, makes only -111dB total THD+N. It is around 18-19bit performance. 24bit in theory gives 144dB dynamic range. But now we are looking at my EMU noise floor rather than ESS performance. This C-Media driver bug was really a failure.
My power amplifier is capable of 90dB dynamic, so ESS board as a source is more than perfect for it.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:50 AM   #357
Account disabled at member's request

RMS figures right ? My soundcard can't even do that - one of the many reasons I gave up RMAA testing. You need to get a 32-bit card these days or it's pointless, and who can hear the full 32 bit range on a domestic hifi ? Most speakers can't do it and it'd be permanent hearing damage anyway.
RightMark Audio Analyzer test : [MME] SE-200PCI LineOut

Last edited by KlipschKid; 5th March 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:15 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

Hello Diyinhk,
i've another suggestion for the new version:
on the I2C connector can you add a 3,3V digital output, this solution is very helpfull if we use a ADUM1250 separator or something like that,on the I2c BUS.
Thanks a lot.
Guglielmo
Old 7th March 2013, 10:18 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Hello folks,
If you set register 17 to all mono. And use I2S input on this DIYINHK board. Does this then mean you have a mono balanced board, with +/- output on DAC2,4,6,8, and DACB2,4,6,8. ? And dont need any more modifications then f.ex sharing the master clock between two boards ? Or is there more settings to be made, and more mods to be done ?
Old 11th March 2013, 10:18 PM   #360
diyAudio Member

Hello,
the board works!!
My proto ES9018 player.
I'm waiting for the new relese.
I use external SEN I/V
In the next days I'll compare with Buffalo II
Ciao
Guglielmo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEN+DAC p010.jpg (182.0 KB, 215 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!