Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2013, 02:35 PM   #331
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I hope the above doesnt come off as a rant, its not a rant, people are trying to make useful measurements (I hope) I tried to give useful information. I think its great that some measurements are being undertaken here and I do applaud the effort. I wish there was the 'spoiler' function like they have at head-fi so it could be hidden unless you wanted to read it and clicked on it.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:15 PM   #332
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

A goat with lipstick is still a goat :-)

If you were trying to give good information, I couldn't see any...

Appreciate all those who are sharing measuring results and building tips. It is obvious that even low-end measurement equipment cannot randomly produce results. If you measure something and there is no change, then it can be argued that the measurement equipment does not have the resolution, but if there is a difference, it is unlikely a random event. All you have to do is measure it again. I got to buy one of those cards and measure things myself too...

Last edited by glt; 18th February 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:33 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yes, because without some sort of buffer and a very short connection the performance will vary depending on the load the dac sees. the DNR will probably stay roughly the same unless you do something silly, but the THD will vary quite a bit, as will the frequency response. it will depend on the load impedance, capacitance and inductance. it will also vary depending on the voltage compliance/drive capability of the output, offhand I cant remember what that is for the ESS
I was expecting something that is not so obvious and elemental, especially from you :-)

Besides, I use quantum entanglement cables and the power amps are ideal.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:53 PM   #334
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
A goat with lipstick is still a goat :-)

If you were trying to give good information, I couldn't see any...
then you are a bit slow arent you? your measurement gear cannot show/descriminate what you are trying to measure and is rather showing the measurement noise floor and setup error.. is not useful? neither of the 2 regulators being compared are suitable for AVCC... is not useful? the reason there are only some spikes difference is because they are the only things poking through the noise floor...is not useful?

sorry you really need to get a grip on reality.

my mistake, I assume when people are posting measurements and have taken the time to take those measurements, that they are attempting to gain something useful from those measurements.

its not happy news, but not everything is joy in diagnostics

Last edited by qusp; 18th February 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:56 PM   #335
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
I was expecting something that is not so obvious and elemental, especially from you :-)

Besides, I use quantum entanglement cables and the power amps are ideal.
awesome, that'll come in handy for when I was speaking to you
Old 18th February 2013, 07:14 PM   #336
diyAudio Member

I give up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
then you are a bit slow arent you? your measurement gear cannot show/descriminate what you are trying to measure and is rather showing the measurement noise floor and setup error.. is not useful? neither of the 2 regulators being compared are suitable for AVCC... is not useful? the reason there are only some spikes difference is because they are the only things poking through the noise floor...is not useful?

sorry you really need to get a grip on reality.

my mistake, I assume when people are posting measurements and have taken the time to take those measurements, that they are attempting to gain something useful from those measurements.

its not happy news, but not everything is joy in diagnostics
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:28 AM   #337
diyAudio Member

OK, Back to our regularly scheduled program.

I got the OPA 134's into the DAC. Much better and I mean much better. No more bleeding ears. It will be interesting to see how they settle in. Used for IV and buffer.

I am getting weird lock and mute problems. Sometimes the auto mute LED does not go on when I stop the CD player. Once it starts doing this it will not work right without a power restart. It seems to be affected by my shop lights. I am not sure about this, but it seems that it works better when the lights are on. Any idea what that is?
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:58 AM   #338
Account disabled at member's request

plsd you got the sound right.

Are they fluorescent lights ? They're a bugger if you don't have great wiring. You could try other power sockets to see if wiring is the issue.

I built a 1KVA mains iso trans with LC filters to fix my fluoro problem.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:38 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

I took the DAC over to a friends house. We were both surprised by how good it sounded. Pretty impressive for $200 total.

My friend has no fluorescent or LED lights in his house. The DAC ran perfect the whole three hours we had it running. At my house with a lot of fluorescent and LED lights, the DAC will start to act up. Automute not working etc. I have all my audio stuff plugged into dedicated circuits, still there must be a lot of junk on the line. Now how to clean it up. Do I do it by component or some whole system approach. Time to start researching power conditioning.
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:08 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Mains side common-mode chokes, and check you have low capacitance (EI preferably, or R core) transformers, not toroids for your power. Preferably have everything in the system class II ( double insulated it used to be called) so no earths are required.

Hide this!Advertise here!