Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 02:39 PM   #291
Account disabled at member's request

Yes, GLT has posted that photo on hifiduino too, and it shows a complete ground plane, which is great, but so far, I haven't seen the other side with the circuit layout. Anybody seen this ? Is there a photo anywhere ?
Old 10th February 2013, 08:58 AM   #292
Shinja is offline Shinja  Japan
diyAudio Member

thanks klipschkid.
I did not realized it, and Jackal29a's post at #239 too.
Old 10th February 2013, 11:32 AM   #293

If you, or anyone else here, buys one, please do post photos. I'd love to see what the changes are.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:33 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

Finally finished my build of the board I got in January. I used some older TP Tridents and an AVCC to power the board. These took some work to make them fit but they do work. I am using cheap LM 317 / 337 PS to power the Tridents and analog section. The opamps are LME 49710's. I used PRP resistors since they are not that expensive and I had to order most of the values anyway.

I did get the matching USB to work, but it is limited to 16 bit input so I could not use JRiver, which I use for my normal rig, (which is a BIII with a Legato 3 fed by the exaU2I USB board). I gave up on the USB board and used PCM instead.

I was actually somewhat impressed with it the first time I listened to it. It is a bit harsh in the high end and a little brighter then I like. But overall it sounded pretty good. It will be interesting to see how it sounds after I put some hours on it. Not a bad DAC for the $200 I have in it. Its pretty sloppy looking so I may not want to put up pictures . I may use it for some experiments that I am too afraid to do with my BIII. (clone of the ARC CD8 DAC section).
Old 11th February 2013, 11:45 PM   #295
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

What clock are you using?
Old 12th February 2013, 12:26 AM   #296

Hey Johnmarkp,

Good to hear you got yours built. Are you using LME49710 in I/V ? If so, then that explains the harsh brightness. Switch them for fets like opa132, opa1641, opa627 or ada4627. They all sound much better.

cheers
Old 12th February 2013, 03:07 AM   #297
diyAudio Member

I am using a FOX Expresso 100. I am not sure if I am going to do opamp rolling or not. I need to decide where this is going to end up.
Old 12th February 2013, 03:39 AM   #298

It's a shame - you have a great DAC with bad I/V op amps and a mediocre xo, for the sake of $15. How can I encourage you to make just two changes ? Change the xo for an Epson SAW and for pity's sake change the op amps. Seriously, I've tried a lot and they are the worst for the I/V. Nasty sound. Please, you owe it to yourself after all the time you spent building it.
Old 12th February 2013, 01:12 PM   #299

Finished !

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th February 2013, 10:54 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

KlipschKid,

I am trying to keep this cheap for now. The OPA134 are pretty cheap. How did you like them for the IV. Also what mated well with them for the buffer in your opinion? I will probably give this to a buddy of mine, but will listen to it for a while with my system, which would not be called mellow by most people. (exaU2I, BIII, ARC ref5, ARC VS115 feeding Quad 2805's).

John

Hide this!Advertise here!