Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm thats interesting... Do you use a level converter? Is it a original arduino or a clone?
How do you power it using v-in or the 9v jack? what kind of cables do you use for I2C?
What is the revision of your Dac board? Did you modify anything in the code? normal stereo use uses a defauld settings right? Do you have any pictures of it?

Maybe my es9018 chip is not 100%?

There is one thing that buzzes true my head a the time. I use a separate transformer and en separate regulator to power the es9018 chip and controller, is that a problem? Also the new arduino boots way faster then the old one really strange... And it does communicate because it mutes the dac on power on, but after that no go.

Sorry so many questions.

imgur: the simple image sharer Hires adruino board
imgur: the simple image sharer Hires level convertor
imgur: the simple image sharer Hires Dac board

I don't use a level converter, the I2C from the Arduino is connected directly to the dual mono DIYinhk boards. I don't think the wiring type is critical, what you seem to be using is fine. My arduino is powered by a seperate 9V regulator. I modified the code to customise it to my dual mono installation. You should customize it to the Buffalo 3 option I would suggest (not the B2). I use an Arduino Uno - looks like the original thing but could be a clone, I have no way of telling.
I suspect that the ground wire is quite important in the I2C operation. I would try without the level converter complicating the issues to try and pinpoint the cause. (at your own risk but I am doing so without any issues)

"You should customize it to the Buffalo 3 option"

You mean that I have to edit the code for standard default stereo operation? Because I now have the raw default code in there, it looked fine, did I miss something?

I took the whole thing out of it's case and made a hires picture.

Strange thing : If I remove the clock jumper it still works and I don't know why. If I change the adres select jumper something started to hum, but thats about it.

I will remove the level converter and try again (did this before but doesn't hurt to try again)

Thanks for your help!

/******************* Code Customization Section *********************/

/* First: Choose the clock frequency you have and comment the other */

//#define USE80MHZ
#define USE100MHZ

/* Second: Choose your configuration

| CONFIGURATION | #define DUALMONO | #define TPAPHASE |
|---------------------|------------------|------------------|
| Dual mono in-phase | un-comment | comment |
| Dual mono TPA phase | un-comment | un-comment |
| Stereo | comment | comment |
|---------------------|------------------|------------------| */

//#define DUALMONO
//#define TPAPHASE

/* Optionally choose the number of inputs. 6 is the max without
modifying the code. You could lower the number of input choices
here. for example if you only want to see 2 choices, modify the
code lke this: #define ICHO 2 */

#define ICHO 6

/* Optionally change the name of the inputs. Keep 6 characters
Use blanks if necessary */

char no0[] = "PC-BST";
char no1[] = "PC-LOW";
char no2[] = "SPDIF1";
char no3[] = "SPDIF2";
char no4[] = "TOSLNK";
char no5[] = "PC-USB";

/* Make sure you use the correct chip address for each board

for stereo Buffalo: use address 0x90
for dual mono: Use address 0x90 for mono left Buffalo
Use address 0x92 for mono right Buffalo

Since Arduino uses 7-bit address, I converted the addresses
to 7-bit by removing the least significant bit thus

Address 0x48 for Stereo or mono left
Address 0x49 for mono right */

/***************** END Code Customization Section *******************/

This it what I use, standard 100 MHz clock in stereo mode. Do I miss something here?

So if I short the clock jumper why does it still works? Is it using the clock from the USB to I2S?

If the code looks fine, if the adruino is fine, then it leaves me with the dac board it self, but the 2 I2C lines go direct from the board to the IC it self. So then it would be a bad ES9018 IC.........

Last edited:
Yes, the jumper is shorted to stop the on board clock and this allows an external clock to be connected to the DAC from the terminals provided on the board. Check the datasheet of the clock you are using for a definitive answer.

Heh! :)
Thanks for that! anyway i was thinking that my SPDIF level converter was not working so was giving up trying till my amanero arrive.. But it's actually jumper thing going.
Now tested DAC for the first time and it's working with SPDIF input!!!
Beautiful!!!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Still waiting Amanero..

By the way, I'm using EPSON.

Last edited:
Ah thank you! So every time I turn on the DAC the DAC it self is at 00 and the controller starts at 50, so if I change the volume with the remote it first jumps down to 50...well that's how it works here. Nice display btw, did you have one incomparable symbol there? On the top it says SPd?

It's seems that your arduino boots faster than DAC, you can try to set delay while booting Arduino..
You will find in a code when displaying version number somewhere there, try with that..
Display is VFD with normal characters, and SPd is SPDIF autodetect (I think)..
I have a bug also when palying music, HifiDuino randomly mutes DAC, like pressing middle button on apple remote.. I think it's because everything is on breadboard with loosy wires.. Or maybe IR reciever..

Status
Not open for further replies.