Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 06:40 PM   #261
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
In h/w mode, auto detection is only used on data 1. You must put SPDIF on DATA 1. If you want to put spdif on another input, you need a uP to tell it to use another data in
If I am not mistaken only half the dac`s will get the sp-dif signal unless it is rerouted by a controller. I am not sure if that is the case, but if I am not mistaken the same thing happened with the B2 if you removed the TP`s firmware chip without using an external controller.

A nice controller kit: CE644 - The ES9018 I2C controller
Old 31st January 2013, 07:14 PM   #262
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Since spdif is only stereo, it is automatically routed to all DACs (that is, there is no choice for more than 2-channels). Re-routing is required if you want to wire it for spdif, i2s and dsd and then you need a uP
Old 31st January 2013, 09:33 PM   #263
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

I am planning on only using with SPDIF emplying a TP level converter. I will use D1 for now so I do not have to use a uP.
I have had success communicating with the DAC using an Arduino Uno directly wired to the inputs on the board. (Also did this with a BIII). No level conversion or terminating resistors used.
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:10 AM   #264
Account disabled at member's request

Default CMOS to SPDIF

Hi,

Not exactly about the ES9018.... but I fitted the CM6631 USB receiver to the Wolfson WM8805 I'm using as my I2S source for the DAC. I'm using this :

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't know what the impedance of the DS receiver is so I assumed 25R. This would mean, on the output side the trafo sees about 100R and the receiver sees about the same.

Output
Trafo sees (25||240 = 22R) + 36R + 36R = 94R
DS sees (100R+36R+36R)||240R = 100R

All good ?

Input
Do I need to change R1 to ~400R and R2 to ~132R ? 300||100 = 75 ; 400||132 = 100

Thanks for the help.

PS Op Amp rolling today :

Last edited by KlipschKid; 3rd February 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:33 AM   #265
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

what are you using as clock source for the wolfson? you know it adds 35-50ps jitter right?
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:09 AM   #266
Account disabled at member's request

Hi,

Anyone else can offer help ? I'd rather get none than yours Q.

Using Euroquartz XO91. It's actually made by Mercury in Taiwan. They sent me the phase noise. t's okay.

WM8805 limits jitter to 50ps. And you know very well, jitter can be very easily heard so please don't play your games with me on this one. Plus the ES9018 claims to be immune to jitter, except of course, that's not really true.

Anyone else can help ?

Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:16 AM   #267
diyAudio Member

The jitter of the 8805 seems to be somewhat independent of the 12MHz clock. It is also independent of the incoming jitter according to Wolfson white papers... Most implementations just use a can crystal...

PS: have you heard the MarkAudio 12p? talk about micro-details...

Last edited by glt; 3rd February 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:42 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

hahahahahaha, your post makes a great play at contradictory nonsense.

what game? its a real question. you seem to be suffering from delusions and/or paranoia

have fun in the world of makebelieve then

50MHz clock on WM->ESS = 20ns jitter... that was the reason I asked. there are better choices like the async unit on the fifo spdif board. input and output clock can be independent.

but the main thing was to get you to reconsider putting USB i2s through the WM if you dont have to.

perhaps you guys should start your own forum if you dont want anyone giving you a reality check now and then?

Last edited by qusp; 3rd February 2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:56 AM   #269
diyAudio Member

20ns jitter? where do you get those numbers? Are you referring to Bunpei's comment over at the other thread?
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:01 AM   #270
diyAudio Member

yeah, just having a little fun since thats what K kid presumes i'm doing at every opportunity, i'm not sure what to make of that post, on the one hand it makes sense, but it seems odd. I only noticed it just before, doesnt affect me but its an interesting issue. what do you make of it?

it would seem to be more likely to be a random initial offset (not the same as jitter) depending on how the input clock ticks and the clock speed relate, then only a small amount depending on how close the spun up oversampled clock is. hurts my head, but I dont think its as simple as Bunpei mentions. it wasnt his statement though of course.

Last edited by qusp; 3rd February 2013 at 06:09 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!