Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 05:28 AM   #251
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, not inexpensive. How many pages?
Old 31st January 2013, 05:58 AM   #252
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

200 pages in this latest volume, check out the contributors, its a master class in several very well aligned subjects by some of the legends of the industry, the articles are VERY extensive. its cheap IMO, well not cheap, but its not disproportionate to the cost of putting together something like that in short run printed form.

Last edited by qusp; 31st January 2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:37 PM   #253
deanoUK is offline deanoUK  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is a very interesting book.
The graphs for the regulator comparisons are difficult to read.
Here they are in colour
Online Articles
Old 31st January 2013, 02:15 PM   #254
diyAudio Member

thanks, I knew I had seen them somewhere in colour, still worth getting the hard copy IMO, because the article is excellent.

this latest edition is the best yet IMO, but every one ive read has had something very interesting and useful and there is always at least one free design/project. I think as a collection they will be a very good resource. I do wish there was a PDF/Ebook version, as the postage increases the price quite a bit to AU and takes a while.

the sjostrom super reg was a surprise, I have been using them for a couple years in a few projects and have liked them a lot, but I never expected them to be significantly better than the colony boards (for noise anyway)

but it really does show how well the salas reg works, particularly the impedance vs FS, so flat. I just wish they werent so massive and...well.. HOT!

the burson.... not much to say there....

Last edited by qusp; 31st January 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 31st January 2013, 03:50 PM   #255
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoUK View Post
This is a very interesting book.
The graphs for the regulator comparisons are difficult to read.
Here they are in colour
Online Articles
Thank you.

Those are noise density curves in nV/sqrt(Hz) units

A quick calculation shows that the bottom two curves represent 1 uV RMS and 1.4 uV RMS in the 10-100K frequency range.

Very impressive numbers. (but the commercial offerings are getting there. The 2-buck ADP-151 has 9uV RMS of noise in the 10-100KHz range)

Last edited by glt; 31st January 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:10 PM   #256
diyAudio Member

yeah I think there is something wrong with your calculations (maybe not and i'm not about to do a back of the hand calc at 4am) and your comparison is pretty darn simplified. all of a sudden noise is the only variable.

YES noise is getting there with the best examples under lab conditions applied by the designers (why else am I also excited about the tps?), but is still 10x higher. for PSRR, Zout, bandwidth etc, LDOs are not even in the same ballpark.. PSRR in particular is of concern, so you better have a good prereg.

the 2900 would get utterly PWNED in the rest of the tests and anything that relies on the caps for transient response, PSRR and has low slew rate, will be more touchy with peaks and resonance and place even more pressure on the local decoupling.

they are getting there, but they are nowhere near there. 10-100K is a pretty biased bandwidth too, its common for LDOs to be tested that way, because they have crap performance above 100K amd are not usually expected to perform well higher due to leaning on the caps. the TPS7A will be better here but still limited.

how many ways can we say the same thing?

Last edited by qusp; 31st January 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:18 PM   #257
diyAudio Member

I just wanted to confirm something. The DAC will use all 8 dacs (2 x 4 for stereo) if I run a SPDIF signal into any input without any other source attached. This assumes I remove the connections between D2-D5 and I use the default setting. Am I correct?
Old 31st January 2013, 05:56 PM   #258
diyAudio Member

without an MCU (or arduino) it wont accept spdif at all

but yes there is no multichannel spdif on the ESS, you cannot have a stereo channel going to D4 and another stereo channel to D6 and choose them to go to different dacs internally. you can only have multichannel PCM/i2s/DSD, spdif will only ever play one stereo stream and use 4 dacs each in stereo mode, or 8 dacs in mono

Last edited by qusp; 31st January 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 31st January 2013, 06:25 PM   #259
diyAudio Member

Just trying to compare data with the same units... Either RMS or noise density... That's all. Same with jitter comparison (5 psec jitter needs the units: RMS, peak to peak, phase noise, period, etc)

Certainly the other parameters are just as important as well as intended application. No question about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yeah I think there is something wrong with your calculations (maybe not and i'm not about to do a back of the hand calc at 4am) and your comparison is pretty darn simplified. all of a sudden noise is the only variable.

YES noise is getting there with the best examples under lab conditions applied by the designers (why else am I also excited about the tps?), but is still 10x higher. for PSRR, Zout, bandwidth etc, LDOs are not even in the same ballpark.. PSRR in particular is of concern, so you better have a good prereg.

the 2900 would get utterly PWNED in the rest of the tests and anything that relies on the caps for transient response, PSRR and has low slew rate, will be more touchy with peaks and resonance and place even more pressure on the local decoupling.

they are getting there, but they are nowhere near there. 10-100K is a pretty biased bandwidth too, its common for LDOs to be tested that way, because they have crap performance above 100K amd are not usually expected to perform well higher due to leaning on the caps. the TPS7A will be better here but still limited.

how many ways can we say the same thing?
Old 31st January 2013, 06:27 PM   #260
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarkp View Post
I just wanted to confirm something. The DAC will use all 8 dacs (2 x 4 for stereo) if I run a SPDIF signal into any input without any other source attached. This assumes I remove the connections between D2-D5 and I use the default setting. Am I correct?
In h/w mode, auto detection is only used on data 1. You must put SPDIF on DATA 1. If you want to put spdif on another input, you need a uP to tell it to use another data in

Hide this!Advertise here!