Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2013, 07:36 AM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
its already confirmed to work at 384khz

the AKM
Do you know what clock speed was used for that? I've had my ES9023 running 384 using Amanero's clocks in sync mode but it is far from optimal.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:05 AM   #222
Account disabled at member's request

Another update : making progress with casing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've removed the xo socket and fitted the Crystek CCHD-957 22.5792Mhz. It works exceedingly well for CD, but it can't keep lock continuously with DVD-A (96Khz). I haven't tried SACD yet.

I plan to try the 50Mhz SAW. I'll fit it from the top using the X1 input and a nearby 3.3V power via. I will try using the en pin as gnd - so when en is grounded to turn off the Crystek, it will prove gnd for the SAW so that switches on. I've also fitted the u.fl socket so I can feed in an external clock.

The I2S lines need improving, but I'm waiting for the board from Acko..... so, it's time to start seriously trying different clocks and op amps. Less soldering, more music. That's a good feeling....

Last edited by KlipschKid; 29th January 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 29th January 2013, 12:27 PM   #223
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal29a View Post
Do you know what clock speed was used for that? I've had my ES9023 running 384 using Amanero's clocks in sync mode but it is far from optimal.
no sorry, it wasnt me, you might try PM'ing Bunpei here on the forum, I think it was one of his compatriots a year or so ago, there will be some info on some of the Japanese audio forums if you are a brave google translator, but I believe there was some talk here on the forum back then also. I remember Acko collaborated on a 4399 project around the same time so perhaps he has some more info

sorry I cant be of more help.
Old 29th January 2013, 04:20 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
no sorry, it wasnt me, you might try PM'ing Bunpei here on the forum, I think it was one of his compatriots a year or so ago, there will be some info on some of the Japanese audio forums if you are a brave google translator, but I believe there was some talk here on the forum back then also. I remember Acko collaborated on a 4399 project around the same time so perhaps he has some more info

sorry I cant be of more help.
Thanks for tip, I think found the thread. In it Bunpei mentions something about a friend testing DXD on an AK4396 and himself on an AK4399 but as I understood it they both got noise due to low fs. Looks like after that he changed to the ES9018. Shame he didn't test the 45.xxx clock with AK4399.

@DIYINHK, have you tested 45.xxx/49.xxx from your CM6631 board into your AK4399 DAC?
Old 29th January 2013, 04:40 PM   #225
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

KK, looking good!
Over at the other thread, when you said "audiocom" did you mean the audiolab es9018 DAC? (photo in my blog)

I do plan to use some higher value capacitors to mitigate the overshoot and undershoot of all series regulators but certainly not 1000 uF. Likely, they will be Elna silmic II in the range of 10 uF or so. For the analog, there are 8 bypass points, so if using 10 uF, there will be a total of 80 uF plus whatever I put in the board input. If you had to use larger caps, what value would you use?

Of course there is also a ceramic 0.1 uF at each position
Old 29th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

no it was more recent than that I think, Acko did some bespoke 4399 design consulting for a small group over there and it was after 9018 was about.

glt a 10uf sillmic isnt going to be very useful, impedance is going to be pretty large at such a small size non polymer electro
Old 29th January 2013, 07:32 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Read some more of the TPS7A47 regulator. It is actually designed for fast transient response and optimally 50 uF ceramic at the output for low noise and fast transient (which are already implemented in eval board.

Perhaps either adding small ceramics or nothing is the best approach if using the TPS
Old 29th January 2013, 07:47 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

ahh sorry I wasnt thinking of the tps, but regardless a 10uf silmic is pretty pointless IMO, only satisfies audiophile urges =) and is lower performance than anything else you mentioned. you are after lowest noise, transient response is not high on the agenda when supplying secondary regs and remote decoupling caps for a fairly distant constant current (if you are meaning to supply the analogue pins) it doesnt struggle with low impedance ceramics or say 100-330uf on the output, but either way forget the silmic IMO.

you do however have to keep in mind resonant effects/ringing from paralleling different types of caps in series with an inductive trace

Last edited by qusp; 29th January 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 29th January 2013, 07:53 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Yes, planning on using it everywhere. For clock and AVCC it will be direct. For clock and digital, I can add more capacitance for lower noise. For AVCC, I don't want to loose the fast transient response it was designed for...

Last edited by glt; 29th January 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 29th January 2013, 07:58 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

AVCC doesnt need fast transient response, its a reference voltage.... the digital needs fast transient response more than AVCC, you'll find it was designed for low noise too =)

low impedance is a plus, but its the caps that supply the load transients, an external regulator is there to supply the decoupling caps, they supply the transient current demands if any, but low noise is more important for AVCC than transient response.

Last edited by qusp; 29th January 2013 at 08:06 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!