Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the Amanero firmware update to 1.0.58, I have 1.0.56. Although this update proces reacts as documented but does not seem to be working. I've got no 384 and the system keeps on insisting to display 1.0.56 ....

Firm 1058 is a bit old, current stable version is 1069. there is a 1072 available but it has some issues with I2C commands so I'd not recommend it.
What version of the update tool are you using? I'd recommend 1.10a or 1.11a. Links to both are available in the Combo384 thread.

Flac , interesting results, you also should try to use smt ceramic caps (x7r) for power supply decoupling (those caps near the ess9018) , they have less inductance and esr.

ESS Application note, specifically mention under : Component selection
"All surface mount chip capacitors that are in the audio path must be COG electric. Dielectrics such as X7R and X5R cause non-linearities this causes the total harmonic distortion to drastically degrade"

Therefore I assume COG caps is more distortion friendly. Is there any other things to think of when NOT in audio path, but in Power supply path ?

Mekkern the c0g or NPO dialectric is the most stable of the ceramics, the capacitance has almost no change when voltage change , the x7r capacitance change quite a lot when voltage change. Of course using x7r in audio path will cause large distortions in the signal, And using c0g or NPO is a must in audio path.
But x7r are ok for the power supply decoupling , of course you can use cOg for decoupling but they are much bigger and expensive that the x7r .

Last edited:
One silly question;

I have read all 43 pages however coulndt find the answer..

I'll buy that kit, but I only need a SPDIF input..
I already know that ES9018 has a (lot of) SPDIF input (receiver) onboard..
But as I can see you're mentioning only on I2S input..
So if I consider that kit is running on HW mode,
Is there a way to use its SPDIF input (of course via TORX or pulse transformer) without SW control?

Thanx in advance for your answers...:D

I need some help with the passive IV I am using for the Diyinhk DAC.

I am using a 400ohm IV resistor which is followed by a 10k resistor and a 1k resistor which then feeds the tube output stage. There is a 220pf capacitor between the 10k and the 1k resistors. This capacitor goes to ground. I calculate the low pass cutoff point to be around 75khz.

The issue I am having is that I have seen this circuit the way I describe it above and another way with the 220pf capacitor before the 10k resistor, so the capacitor is parallel to the IV resistor. I have searched the internet to see if this acts a low pass filter or as something else. Any help would be appreciated.

John

:)

And an idea...

Do you think a good line level transformer (like Lhundal LL1585) and some RC circuit for LPF just before it will be a good choice instead of three "noisy" opamps for the outputs?

You can use transformer, but I would prefer at least 600Ohm:600Ohm model (eg. LL1545a). I have Cinemag Cmli-15 and it sounds excellent. Tried full active variant of output stage, but settled with active I-V (ADA4898) and transformer output. Voltage out with transformer also sounds nice.

Firm 1058 is a bit old, current stable version is 1069. there is a 1072 available but it has some issues with I2C commands so I'd not recommend it.
What version of the update tool are you using? I'd recommend 1.10a or 1.11a. Links to both are available in the Combo384 thread.

would be very helpfull to provide with a link to that thread.

I can't find it searching for combo384.

Btw, I've used version 1.09 and I think it's using firmware 1073c. Don't know how to see which version of the firmware is currently running, any tips here ?

You can use transformer, but I would prefer at least 600Ohm:600Ohm model (eg. LL1545a). I have Cinemag Cmli-15 and it sounds excellent. Tried full active variant of output stage, but settled with active I-V (ADA4898) and transformer output. Voltage out with transformer also sounds nice.

I see..
But in voltage mode (without any active buffer) do you think ES9018 can drive a 600R primary?

would be very helpfull to provide with a link to that thread.

I can't find it searching for combo384.

Btw, I've used version 1.09 and I think it's using firmware 1073c. Don't know how to see which version of the firmware is currently running, any tips here ?

Check here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/216474-usb-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-118.html#post3351431

If you have an early Combo board I suggest you update both CPU and CPLD using V. 1.10a of update tools.
Firmware v 1073c is supposed to be in beta state, 1072 can give problems with some DACs and I2C commands, 1069 is stable.

Check here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/216474-usb-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-118.html#post3351431

If you have an early Combo board I suggest you update both CPU and CPLD using V. 1.10a of update tools.
Firmware v 1073c is supposed to be in beta state, 1072 can give problems with some DACs and I2C commands, 1069 is stable.

Hi,
Is the firmware 1069 deployed via the "combo384_drivers_win7_win8_1056.zip" ? Since this is the pnly version available for download from the amanero site.

Status
Not open for further replies.