Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 07:05 AM   #181
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
So now expectation bias is fair? Hmm, let's test - are you already heavily invested in Crystek modules by any chance?
Old 24th January 2013, 07:24 AM   #182
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no, I meant it was a fair statement to make (yours)

the promotion of commercial SAW based oppo mods in that and other oppo mod threads on this forum is a pet peeve of mine. Also when people make such mind bending claims alarm bells start ringing.

I like crystek yes, for the money I think they are one of the better parts around, but i'm about to upgrade to a module based on NDK $$$, because the next step up with high grade SC cut crystal plus highly accurate bespoke multiplier circuit, is just one step too far for me. there are bigger things to worry about.

so no I have no hidden agenda, but I do have an allergy to them.
Old 24th January 2013, 07:29 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
There are indeed bigger things to worry about for ESS users. Noise modulation being the elephant in the room which improving the clocking just tinkers around the edges of.
Old 24th January 2013, 07:42 AM   #184
diyAudio Member

nah, pretty happy with the sound, so i'm just finishing building another one the same. further clocking upgrades past the fifo/crystek level are intellectual/neurotic upgrades. It must be one of those stealthy anorexic elephants.... ive not noticed it in actuality over the last 3 years.
Old 24th January 2013, 07:58 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

Sure, it is stealthy - I missed it for a much longer time than you with S-D type DACs. Going back literally decades to my first experiments with SAA7320 around 1990.
Old 24th January 2013, 08:09 AM   #186
diyAudio Member

That is, if you believe the noise modulation is audible .
Old 24th January 2013, 08:10 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

Beliefs are a matter for religion, and religion is verboten here.
Old 24th January 2013, 08:24 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

3 years with 9018/12, going back till 93 using AKM dacs, through Wolfson dacs, CS etc, but I had my mind firmly on the music and only on the music back then, playing with hobby production of it and just listening. going by your description I would have thought i'd have noticed an objectionable distortion by now dont you? sounds to me like an objective artifact you made audible ie psychosomatic
Old 24th January 2013, 08:26 AM   #189
diyAudio Member

If it was objectionable it wouldn't be stealthy now would it?
Old 24th January 2013, 09:27 AM   #190
diyAudio Member

Delta-sigma DAC VS Test
reference condition:
Same I2S input,
Same headphone AMP, same headphone, same ear
Same power regulator
Same computer USB input
ES9018 VS PCM1794A VS AK4399
follow each offical datasheet demo IV LPF circuit
blind test,
only ear will told the best

p.s. the latest version ES9018 PCB with the latest es9018 chip seems have no unlock problem at default power on setting with asyn 100M clock with cm6631a, need to confirm with longer test time.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by diyinhk; 24th January 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!