Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 02:50 AM   #171
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
...thank you for your blog. You should be mightily pleased with that - a quality blog.
+1 - especially appreciate all the eye-candy - digital audio pr0n
Old 24th January 2013, 04:39 AM   #172
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
honestly, just go with synchronous clocking and be done with it.

they have a 100MHz Epson SAW at digikey make sure to get the CMOS version. they apparently do a 98.304MHz sop you could at least have synchronous 48x

3ps RMS and a quite large 25ps peak to peak jitter.
The journey IS the destination...
For 3.3V clocks, only the 75MHz and the 106 MHz are available.

The only reason I bring these up is because over at the other thread, side by side listening comparison, listeners preferred the BII with the saw clock to the one with the cchd clock.
Old 24th January 2013, 04:54 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Quote:

BTW, your Arduino pages make that look really easy - is it ? What do people usually struggle with ?

Cheers
I think the hardest part is familiarizing with the Arduino environment (which is actually pretty easy). I don't get many questions. Most implementations "just show up" in some forum or blog :-)
Old 24th January 2013, 05:00 AM   #174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you decide on op amps yet ? I've settled on LME49990 for the buffers but still trying op amps for the I/V.

Cheers
I was thinking of first using the DAC in voltage mode single ended by flipping the phase of the second set of DACs and summing it with the first set (thus having 16 DACs per channel in SE mode). And then also try the passive filter from abraxalito.

Have a set of OPA627 somewhere in the closet that I will try.
Old 24th January 2013, 06:20 AM   #175
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
I was thinking of first using the DAC in voltage mode single ended by flipping the phase of the second set of DACs and summing it with the first set (thus having 16 DACs per channel in SE mode). And then also try the passive filter from abraxalito.

Have a set of OPA627 somewhere in the closet that I will try.
the above would defeat ALL of the careful routing, all of the CMRR. I would expect less than 90dB THD+N
Old 24th January 2013, 06:26 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

umm I have a result for CMOS 3v3 SAW 100MHz right in front of me, the one I linked you to. here they have 878 of them at 3.72 each. maybe yopu mean a different model?

Quote:
The only reason I bring these up is because over at the other thread, side by side listening comparison, listeners preferred the BII with the saw clock to the one with the cchd clock.
sorry I cant say I place much stead in this audible comparison, a controlled test I suppose? yet another magical unknown specification that science forgot; yet brings audible levels of improvement when it comes to music listeners. Dark Jitter....people have been saying they prefer clocks that are clearly borderline browning out their dacs as well.

but like I said go for your life its cheap.

I can see it (the 100MHz or 98.304MHz) as a viable alternative if you dont want to blow the money on a crystek or better, I really can, they seem reasonable for the money. We are talking about a clock here, if it had other harmonics, they would be part of the jtest, so unless people prefer more error like they can prefer distortion, then it hurts my head to think of why you could prefer something worse.....and it is worse.

it seems to measure about the same, or a bit worse than the generic place-holder clock in the fifo kit

Last edited by qusp; 24th January 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 06:49 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
They're making the same noises over on the Oppo 105 thread too - SAW subjectively trumps the more expensive Crystek, despite measuring worse. I'm curious to understand why
Old 24th January 2013, 06:50 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
They're making the same noises over on the Oppo 105 thread too - SAW subjectively trumps the more expensive Crystek, despite measuring worse. I'm curious to understand why
yes, the same few (2?) people are making the same noises, one of whom uses it in his clock module upgrade....
Old 24th January 2013, 06:52 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

Long-range scanners are reporting a rapid build-up of cynical expectation bias captain...

Last edited by abraxalito; 24th January 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 07:03 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

that would be fair, especially since the spruking of said commercial modules is a kind of sport in that thread.

but really, where is this unknown variable that makes the timey wimey machine more timey wimey-er?

Last edited by qusp; 24th January 2013 at 07:15 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!