Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 09:18 AM   #161
Account disabled at member's request

Default Success....

Here's something I did not expect : I have reliable lock with good sound with a 22.5792Mhz clock and 96khz 24 bit files. Foobar is playing 96/24 wav files with cm6631a asio driver set to 24bits, feeding the wm8805 isolated spdif, and the Wolfson is set to output 24 bit.

Only one "weak" link in the chain is the quad differential line driver - DS26C32AM. Anyone know an upgrade part off the top of their heads ? I can't believe 19nS prop'n delay can't be improved....

cheers
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:09 AM   #162
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
What propagation delay are you looking for and why is it so critical?
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:36 AM   #163

That's a strange question ! What's available ? :-) The prop'n delay indicates this is not a fast chip so, as I understand it, there'll be longer rise/fall times and more skew, and very likely more noise. Plus, it's an obsolete part. So I'm not looking a four-seat car, or a five seater. I'm looking for the right-sized car, and not an obsolete one please. Oh, and in a nice colour. ;-)

But hey, let's say 6-8ns. Thanks !

Then I need to work out the best circuit for the spdif + Newava pulse trans. Since the spdif is feeding the quad diff driver, I think I don't really need to attenuate it much at all. I'm using something like this but i'm not happy it's working that well

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by KlipschKid; 23rd January 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:49 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
So you're using the 'line driver' as a receiver? (checks Google...) Ah, now I see that part is actually a quad line receiver not a driver.

There does seem to rather a common myth on DIYA that faster is always better. I don't swallow this - there's an appropriate speed for each application, for S/PDIF 20nS sounds about right. If you go faster you'll generate more PSU noise from the receiver as it switches. You could though look at LVDS receivers (like DS90LV032 for example) - they typically run much faster than the one you mentioned which is really designed for RS422.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:43 PM   #165

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time - I'll have a look at the LVDS.

I changed the output of the pulse trans to a 150R load and the sound is better.

cheers
Old 24th January 2013, 02:37 AM   #166

GLT - I like your extra ground return bridges. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... I will be copying your idea !

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2013/...018-dac-board/
Old 24th January 2013, 02:59 AM   #167
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

By all means. I had a piece of Nordost flat cable...
Been looking at the SAW clocks. The closest to 100 MHz carried by the local distributors are 106 MHz and 75 MHz. At < $4 each, definitely worth a try.

According to Epson, these SAW clocks perform better than 3rd overtone clocks (like the CCHD-950) because they operate on fundamental frequency.

But they don't measure as good as the Crysteks
Old 24th January 2013, 03:04 AM   #168
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

honestly, just go with synchronous clocking and be done with it.

they have a 100MHz Epson SAW at digikey make sure to get the CMOS version. they apparently do a 98.304MHz sop you could at least have synchronous 48x

3ps RMS and a quite large 25ps peak to peak jitter.

Last edited by qusp; 24th January 2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:12 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
By all means. I had a piece of Nordost flat cable...
Been looking at the SAW clocks. The closest to 100 MHz carried by the local distributors are 106 MHz and 75 MHz. At < $4 each, definitely worth a try.

According to Epson, these SAW clocks perform better than 3rd overtone clocks (like the CCHD-950) because they operate on fundamental frequency.

But they don't measure as good as the Crysteks
Cool - I'll be very interested to hear what you think, but I regret I'm not going to have time to try them myself for some time yet. The new semester starts next week so I'm trying to get this DAC mostly done before I have to return to teaching, and I've also got a dissertation to work on so ... time to hang up the irons for 14 weeks.

BTW, your Arduino pages make that look really easy - is it ? What do people usually struggle with ?

Did you decide on op amps yet ? I've settled on LME49990 for the buffers but still trying op amps for the I/V.

I've put links to it in the first post - thank you for your blog. You should be mightily pleased with that - a quality blog.

Cheers

Last edited by KlipschKid; 24th January 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:16 AM   #170
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

do remember there is a new CCHD-575 from crystek in 100MHz which is a good performer and somewhat cheaper than the cchd-957

epsons claims of better performance from fundamental are meaningless. jitter can be measured reliably and they perform worse in the only ways that matter. at that price not much is lost of course, but honestly, you will measure the success by listening to it?

Last edited by qusp; 24th January 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!