Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
In h/w mode, auto detection is only used on data 1. You must put SPDIF on DATA 1. If you want to put spdif on another input, you need a uP to tell it to use another data in

If I am not mistaken only half the dac`s will get the sp-dif signal unless it is rerouted by a controller. I am not sure if that is the case, but if I am not mistaken the same thing happened with the B2 if you removed the TPÀ`s firmware chip without using an external controller.

A nice controller kit: CE644 - The ES9018 I2C controller

Thanks.

I am planning on only using with SPDIF emplying a TP level converter. I will use D1 for now so I do not have to use a uP.
I have had success communicating with the DAC using an Arduino Uno directly wired to the inputs on the board. (Also did this with a BIII). No level conversion or terminating resistors used.

CMOS to SPDIF

Hi,

Not exactly about the ES9018.... but I fitted the CM6631 USB receiver to the Wolfson WM8805 I'm using as my I2S source for the DAC. I'm using this :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know what the impedance of the DS receiver is so I assumed 25R. This would mean, on the output side the trafo sees about 100R and the receiver sees about the same.

Output
Trafo sees (25||240 = 22R) + 36R + 36R = 94R
DS sees (100R+36R+36R)||240R = 100R

All good ?

Input
Do I need to change R1 to ~400R and R2 to ~132R ? 300||100 = 75 ; 400||132 = 100

Thanks for the help.

PS Op Amp rolling today :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Anyone else can offer help ? I'd rather get none than yours Q.

Using Euroquartz XO91. It's actually made by Mercury in Taiwan. They sent me the phase noise. Ít's okay.

WM8805 limits jitter to 50ps. And you know very well, jitter can be very easily heard so please don't play your games with me on this one. Plus the ES9018 claims to be immune to jitter, except of course, that's not really true.

Anyone else can help ?

Thanks.

hahahahahaha, your post makes a great play at contradictory nonsense.

what game? its a real question. you seem to be suffering from delusions and/or paranoia

have fun in the world of makebelieve then

50MHz clock on WM->ESS = 20ns jitter... that was the reason I asked. there are better choices like the async unit on the fifo spdif board. input and output clock can be independent.

but the main thing was to get you to reconsider putting USB i2s through the WM if you dont have to.

perhaps you guys should start your own forum if you dont want anyone giving you a reality check now and then?

Last edited:
yeah, just having a little fun since thats what K kid presumes i'm doing at every opportunity, i'm not sure what to make of that post, on the one hand it makes sense, but it seems odd. I only noticed it just before, doesnt affect me but its an interesting issue. what do you make of it?

it would seem to be more likely to be a random initial offset (not the same as jitter) depending on how the input clock ticks and the clock speed relate, then only a small amount depending on how close the spun up oversampled clock is. hurts my head, but I dont think its as simple as Bunpei mentions. it wasnt his statement though of course.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've had the Wolfson for quite some time and done quite a lot to it, and tried it with a few DACs. In the process I found changing the clock to have a noticeable benefit and that a better source gives a better output. So I suspect that "immune to source jitter" is a nod to marketing - identify a need and say your product meets that need. And it is better. So buy me, today, and get your free.... pardon my cynicism.

I've also tried quite a few things with this DAC, as you guys know, such as differing power supplies, regulators, resistors, op amps, capacitors, and I2S sources. My first test was with the cm6631 direct into this DAC - there's a pic on the first post, and of course I've tried other stuff. I'm on a journey. Normally that would be fun but posting here at Diyaudio is turning it into something else.

Anyway, for sure, I can say, isolating the USB from the DAC is an absolute must - it reduces some graininess (thd), esp noticeable in vocals.

So, if I want to use synch with the cm, I must isolate the clock feed and I2S, which at present, I don't have the parts/pcb for. So I tried the Wolfson and was pleasantly surprised. Its a keeper. I may add a switch (see first post) at a later date, and then change things again... and then try arduino... but at this stage, I'm getting this current set up as good as it will get. It may be that this will be as good as it gets, and the ES9018 truly is immune to jitter.

So, that brings me back to my question... impedance in spdif circuits .... have I done the maths right ? I think so, but it is based on an assumption, so that's what I'm hoping someone will know about/check. Not Qusp. Sorry.

I should apologise for being rude in my earlier post 266. I did it to try to make a point, that will hopefully hit home. But probably not.

Last edited:
I should apologise for being rude in my earlier post 266. I did it to try to make a point, that will hopefully hit home. But probably not.
nope, just made you look like a paranoid child

anyway back to invisible, the help or perspective isnt wanted, seems its usually invisible to you lot anyway.

Last edited:
perhaps you guys should start your own forum if you dont want anyone giving you a reality check now and then?

No need, just ignore any/all of my posts please. Thank you. And yes, I'm paranoid and childish. You have better things to do with your time and people who appreciate you. Don't waste your time helping me. Thank you.

Last edited:
FWIW, I finished op amp rolling. Everyone has their own preferences, but these sound best for my system.

Buffer = LME49990, OPA211, LME49710 (in order of preference from earlier tests).
I/V = ADA4627, OPA627, OPA1641 (in no particular order, from today's tests). OPA134 are probably acceptable too, but I only have 2134.

I haven't tried any cfb ones yet.

cheers

Last edited:
PS: have you heard the MarkAudio 12p? talk about micro-details...

Hi,

I've never heard any of his speakers... and I live not far from his offices too... but people say they are excellent.

I see on your blog you have a very very nice 12p. Lucky dude. What's the plan for it ? Transmission line ?

I have a pair of Merril full-range drivers that I made into an isobaric 16L speaker as a centre channel, with a passive radiator for the reflex. I love the bass and mids it gives and, as you say, detail is tremendous... but only immediately on axis. Just 10 degrees off and it's very much duller, and it's also far from a flat response above about 2Khz. So I've been meaning to tri-amp it and add a tractrix horn tweeter to give better dispersion... but you know, so many projects, so little time.

cheers

BTW, forgot to mention - OPA1611 will also suit the buffer I think. I forgot to try them ! Aiya... getting old...

Hi,

Not exactly about the ES9018.... but I fitted the CM6631 USB receiver to the Wolfson WM8805 I'm using as my I2S source for the DAC. I'm using this :

I don't know what the impedance of the DS receiver is so I assumed 25R. This would mean, on the output side the trafo sees about 100R and the receiver sees about the same.

Output
Trafo sees (25||240 = 22R) + 36R + 36R = 94R
DS sees (100R+36R+36R)||240R = 100R

All good ?

Input
Do I need to change R1 to ~400R and R2 to ~132R ? 300||100 = 75 ; 400||132 = 100

Thanks for the help.

Hi, what would be the correct component values for this setup to output 75 ohm impedance into a BNC jack to be used as an isolated coaxial output ?

Hi,

Sure you don't wanna stick with 100 ? It works.... even with the BNC...

Are you using the cm6631 ? If so, keep the left side of the trafo the same.

On the right side change the zobel to 75R and 18pF (this is based on PE-65612 but should be about right for most spdif suitable pulse trans, e.g Newava, Murata).

Then you need to change the pad values so it and maintains 75R from both ends. It'd be nice if you could also drop about 3db but that might be easier to do by changing the left side of the trafo. I don't actually know the output of the CM but the datasheet seems to say it 3.3V, and spdif is 0.5V.

Trafo sees

(BNC 75R||R5) + R3 + R4 = 75

BNC sees

(Trafo 75R + R3 + R4)||R5 = 75

Is that possible ? R3=R4 so let's call that Ri. 75||R5 + Ri = 75 and (75+Ri)||R5 = 75. Um. Works if Ri is zero. And R5 is infinite. So, different circuit needed. In practice, I'd just keep the 100R +15pF zobel and use a 100R across the BNC.

SMD have lower inductance, which really matters at these freqs, so really you should try to use them and fit the zobel onto the trans and the other(s) onto the BNC.

Please note that I learned this from reading other people's posts, so if you can, check the output of the bnc on a scope, and always listen to it before you decide it "must be right cos maths says it is". Wires, soldering, etc... so be prepared to tweak the values and listen to the deep bass and soundstaging until it sounds right. Anyway, this is what I do. My scope is an old 12Mhz though so I don't really trust it, much like myself - old and seen better days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.