DAC TDA 1549 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 06:05 PM   #1
JosM is offline JosM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default DAC TDA 1549

Hello,

Who could help me to a schedule of a diy DAC unit equipped with a TDA 1549. I want to use this DAC unit in combination with my CD player with digital output.
Old 6th January 2013, 02:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default used format

The TDA 1543 uses the I2S format. The TDA 1545 uses the EIAJ format. Does anybody knows which format is used by the TDA1549? Thanks!
Old 6th January 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The DAC accepts four times oversampled data in 18-bit two's complement standard Japanese format with MSB first. Left and right data channel words are time multiplexed. The input format is illustrated in Fig.5 of the datasheet. The bit clock (BCK) operates at 192fs, i.e. 48 times the word select (WS) frequency of 4fs.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default TDA 1549 with CS8412/14

Hi Tam,

Thank you for the information. I want to use the TDA 1549 in combination with a Crystal CS 8412 or CS 8414. Which one is suitable and which Format (audio port mode M0 to M7) has been configured. Below is a part of the specification of the CS 8412.

Audio Serial Port
The audio serial port is used primarily to output audio data and consists of three pins: SCK,
FSYNC, and SDATA. These pins are configured via four control pins: M0, M1, M2, and M3. M3
selects between eight normal serial formats (M3 = 0), and six special formats (M3 = 1).
NORMAL MODES (M3 = 0) When M3 is low, the normal serial port formats shown in Figure 17 are selected using M2, M1, and M0. These formats are also listed in Table 3, wherein the first word past the format number (Out-In) indicates whether FSYNC and SCK areoutputs from the CS8412 or are inputs. The next word (L/R-WSYNC) indicates whether FSYNC indicates the particular channel or just delineates each word. If an error occurs (ERF = 1) while using one of these formats, the previous valid audio data for that channel will be output. As long as ERF is high, that same data word will be output. If the CS8412 is not locked, it will output all zeroes. In some modes FSYNC and SCK are outputs and in others they are inputs. In Table 3, LSBJ is short for LSB justified where the LSB is justified to the end of the audio frame and the MSB varies with word length. As outputs the CS8412 generates 32 SCK periods per audio sample (64 per stereo sample) and, as inputs, 32
SCK periods must be provided per audio sample. When FSYNC and SCK are inputs, one stereo
sample is double buffered. For those modes which output 24 bits of audio data, the auxiliary bits will be included. If the auxiliary bits are not used for audio data, they must be masked off

M2 M1 M0 Format
0 0 0 0 - Out, L/R, 16-24 Bits
0 0 1 1 - In, L/R, 16-24 Bits
0 1 0 2 - Out, L/R, I2S Compatible
0 1 1 3 - In, L/R, I2S Compatible
1 0 0 4 - Out, WSYNC, 16-24 Bits
1 0 1 5 - Out, L/R, 16 Bits LSBJ
1 1 0 6 - Out, L/R, 18 Bits LSBJ
1 1 1 7 - Out, L/R, MSB Last
Table 3. Normal Audio Port Modes (M3=0)

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2013, 08:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Neither the CS8412 nor CS8414 are suitable.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default TDA 1549

Hi Tam,

Thanks! I want to use the TDA 1549 in combination with my CD player with a digital output (SPDIF). Which seriel data interface/receiver I have to use to connect the DAC with my CD player and/or is there an other solution for it.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

There is no serial data interface/receiver (that I know of) that will interface directly. That chip was designed to work with a digital filter.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
If you're looking for some particular quality of 'Bitstream' sound here, then the TDA1305 would be a better choice to interface to your SPDIF receiver - it has on-board the digital filter that the TDA1549 lacks.
Old 8th January 2013, 03:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
If you're looking for some particular quality of 'Bitstream' sound here, then the TDA1305 would be a better choice to interface to your SPDIF receiver - it has on-board the digital filter that the TDA1549 lacks.
Thanks! Do you have a DIY schedule of a DAC with the TDA 1305?
Old 8th January 2013, 03:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
No, haven't played with that DAC chip for a long time - I did fiddle for a while back when it first came out. It was the chip used in Richer Sounds' (Cambridge Audio brand) first 'DACMagic'. I've moved on to better sounding (older) chips now - TDA1387 for example.

Hide this!Advertise here!