How to Un-Brick a DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all, I had a bricked DCX2496 I bought cheap (someone tried to flash a 1.17 onto a 1.16 dcx) ...I remembered a way we used to re-flash bios on computers years ago (remember 386 CPU's???)

Anyway, I will make this short...you will need a good DCX or at least a good chip...

Pull the bad chip out of the DCX, replace with working one. Start unit up. When up and running, pull the chip (like a computer BIOS chip, this DCX chip is only used to boot), put bad chip in. Connect Serial cable, connect to PC and reflash the unit.

May help to have the good chip snug, but not tight, so you can easily pull it.

Bingo.

I have unbricked two already. Do so at your own risk, kids.

Well, looks like I finally had something worthwhile to offer this site...I feel better now.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yup, took some cajones to pull that DIP chip on a live / running, perfectly functioning Unit...once carefully pulled, it ran as if it was not even needed...

I took the good chip on the other unit and it carried my saved settings with it...so I guess setting are saved on the chip too.

I am making a few "Backups" that I will send out to those on the site to re-flash their original, with the promise of passing it on to the next bricked DCX owner...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.