A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Do you feed em to your dogs?
My brother in law shoots from a copter, mainly pigs, current record is 1700 in a day, that trip they averaged one pig every 17 seconds of flight time.
The army used to cull the roos in the territory, a state in northern Australia.
Anyhoo, back to regular programming....

Hi Guys,

I just recieved an email from Doede that he has stopped with his web shop today.:(:(:(

Fortunately he has found some Dutch friends that will continue to sell the DDDAC designs, these are the guys from Audio-Creative: Dick van de Merwe and Marco Bouwer. Dick is famous for his diy tube audio website where he has published a lot of nice tube designs.

You can find the web shop here: Audio Creative Shop

For international customers it can sometimes be difficult because the web shop is not completely in English (but I think they will work on this ;) )

I hope, and trust :D, Doede will now have more time to concentrate on making more nice audio designs for the diy enthousiasts! :cheers:

Regards,

indeed I am very happy I found the cooperation, so my designs will still be available . the whole kit sales was getting to much doing just like that ;) next to my day job, which includes frequent international travel .... not to mention tax and stuff ;)

And indeed, I will finally have more time for the HOBBY !! :cool:

@Rick,

Hi Rick,
I could not agree with you more! It is never simple. I know the test you write about and the Salas outcome also surprised me. I will not argue that they measuered wrong but you must put it into perspective in the setup they use.
I also see people choosing/discarding some topologies on general reasons. But it is more complex than that, all components interact and there is never a "best" for everything.
So some regulator may work good in some design but sub-optimal in another. Same goes for the use of certain types of caps or resisitors, tantalums are very good for I/V but I would not use them everywhere.
Also the Silmics are very nice, but on some spots I want to use Oscon.
I also have a stock of BG but think the silmics are a better match for this dac design.

BG in comparison to Silmic makes the highs sound clean (I think too clean for this design) and the mid-bass a bit less pronounced. I had a BG non polar on the 12v input of the mother board but switched this for silmic last week (see my pics few pages back).

It is all a matter of balance!

The choise of rectifiers is also important, the effect will be audible!

Regards,

indeed I am very happy I found the cooperation, so my designs will still be available . the whole kit sales was getting to much doing just like that ;) next to my day job, which includes frequent international travel .... not to mention tax and stuff ;)

And indeed, I will finally have more time for the HOBBY !! :cool:

Well done Doede and makes sense for you as must have been a lot of work!!

Now the hobby work can be done and your tests on super regs etc :D

I am glad we are still available to buy your kits as I will buy more soon so thank you.

Hi

Ive just finished building one of Doedes excellent kits (single version for now) mainly
to research USB cables but thats another story. My version uses an LT1963 with L/C
pre filtering and schottkys etc to supply the WaveIO and a 12V Lead Acid battery to supply the DAC. Ive found that LA batteries vary and the best so far for me are those made by Haze which are very quiet and have low impedance.

Im not saying this is the best set up but its what I had to get me going. Ive read all the
back posts re power supplies with interest. Keep it up.

I also design transformers so Im making some for the DAC with 1-4 and 1-2 step up. The 1-4 hopefully will allow me to try out lower value I/V resistors.

By the way its been said that passing DC through a signal transformer will magnetise it. This is not true as you cannot permanently magnetise a soft magnetic material. There is always a very small amount of magnetism left in the core when the magnetising force is removed this is called remanence. I can just pick up small nickel laminations with a steel screwdriver.

Anyway its perfectly safe to measure the DCR of transformer windings, I do it all the
time. If you dont believe me see the Sowter website under FAQ where he confirms what I have said.

comment on earlier post.....
please check your facts before writing negative comments...
pricing went up 10 Euro to cover the VAT which needs to be payed as they are a true company....

in hindsight, I might have been a bit harsh here, which was never the point of course.

I do like to emphasize that Audiocreative is, other than me, being private person, a real company and need to pay VAT. for this reason prices had to go up. we have made sure this was limited as much as possible and med the increase low, like 10 euro. Exchange rate differences compared to past might trouble comparison as well for those outside the EU. I still believe the value for money for these kits are good :)

for Thommy, no hard feelings of course ;)

Hello,

I can not decide myself. Need help :)

I have a single deck version stock
I am looking for improvements. :D

My current output capacitors are Jantzen Superior Cap (which I believe average).

What would be the best upgrade of the output stage:

1) CINEMAG 15/15B (POS / NEG)
2) Mundorf Silver Gold Oil (POS / COM)
3) Mundorf Silver Gold Oil (POS / NEG)
4) Change Dale I/V resistors for Vishay Naked or something fancy (in addition of another tweak)

Additional question: Where can I find the power supply tweak?

Sorry, in reaction of above question.