A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As with push-pull amplifiers versus single ended could there be some advantage to having an odd number of DAC boards instead of even?

Sorry, I had to ask ...

Thanks,

understandable question, but all boards are always outputting the current in parallel, so it does not matter. actually when you go out single ended, you are using only half of the DA converters in the chips.....
that is, among other aspects, one of the reasons, the balanced outputs is also experienced as superior to the single ended output.
the other aspect is of course the reduction of d2 distortion component and lastly the fact you can normally leave the capacitors away ( not ALWAYS... depending on the amplifier of course)

hope this is clea and I am not making it more complicated :D

I started out genetically predisposed to confusion

I know when I was thinking about this the fact that the boards, individually, are balanced made me suspect there was not a correlation with single ended versus push pull but then thought there could be something else! And I knew you would know.

Thanks for your time and take care,

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am putting the 8 stack back together after Doede has finalised the mod to get them to work silently.

As soon as it is done I will let you know how it sounds. Even with the 4 stack, this is a superb Dac so I am looking forward to the 8 stack results :)

Hi Alex,

Any updates the diff between 4 and 8?

I recently moved from 1 to 4 stack. Loving it so far.

Doede can't recommend enough improvements that the Sowters provide. I've been trying to find things around the house that I can sell to fund a pair! :D

What IV resistors have you guys settled on? I'm thinking 2W shinkohs. They worked well on my DDDAC1543MK2. Was not cheap at $10US a pop!

Best,
Tuyen

Hi Alex,

Any updates the diff between 4 and 8?

I recently moved from 1 to 4 stack. Loving it so far.

Doede can't recommend enough improvements that the Sowters provide. I've been trying to find things around the house that I can sell to fund a pair! :D

What IV resistors have you guys settled on? I'm thinking 2W shinkohs. They worked well on my DDDAC1543MK2. Was not cheap at $10US a pop!

Best,
Tuyen

Hi Tuyan,

I have been unable to get it to work with the 8 stack yet so back to the 4 for now but as soon as I get it going I will let you know.

I am getting the quantisation noise mentioned previously, but on my single deck DAC. It's worst at 192kHz and varies with sample rate.

I also have powerful amps with sensitive speakers, and the DAC is connected straight through with WaveIO for volume control so any noise generated in the DAC comes out of the speakers at full scale.

Would the extra capacitor mod between A and B apply to my situation?

I am getting the quantisation noise mentioned previously, but on my single deck DAC. It's worst at 192kHz and varies with sample rate.

I also have powerful amps with sensitive speakers, and the DAC is connected straight through with WaveIO for volume control so any noise generated in the DAC comes out of the speakers at full scale.

Would the extra capacitor mod between A and B apply to my situation?

Hi Thom,

Yes, this is digital noise and due to the extreme sensibility and the fact you use digital volume control, this becomes audible

Indeed, the small capacitor tweak helps here as well. Please use 4,7nF for one deck...

Another option, is to have switch at the output of the dac which lowers the volume when used for normal listening volumes.

I suggest following:

Instead of the 134 ohm, use two resistors in series . one of 100 and one 33. The 33 is against ground. Now you can tap the signal from the 33 ohm resulting in 12dB less volume, but also less noise.
Actually this has two good things:

1 lower output impedance
2 usage of more bits, as you reduce sound volume less digitally

ofcourse any combination will work. main Thing the two Needs to be 133 - 134 ohm
Good luck !

Best regards,

Doede

OK.

Is this OK for the capacitors? WIMA - FKS2D014701A00KSSD - CAPACITOR, 4.7NF, 100V Price For: 5 | eBay

And I need 4 of them, correct?

I am using balanced output with no resistors currently. The two resistors supplied with the kit I thought were for RCA outputs. I am not sure where to put them so they are still on my desk.

Lowering the output like this is the perfect solution, but I'm not clear on what you mean for the resistors for this case of my balanced output configuration.

So at the minute the output configuration for both left and right channels is:

GND -------------------> GND
+VE -->Mundorf 2.2--> +VE
- VE -->Mundorf 2.2--> - VE

look at the pdf may be that clarifies things. in your case you need this 4 times of course as you go out balanced

the capacitors are ok

wel, upload failed, don't ask me why, will send pm

Last edited:
OK so I am going to try splitting the rLoad resistors in the manner you suggest to achieve a 12dB gain reduction, plus add 4x Wima 4.7nF caps to reduce the quantisation noise itself.

At the moment my gain structure is all wrong, with full gain at the amp and 20 dB reduction at the source - should be the other way round but there is no preamp in this single source system. Reducing output gain on the DAC will allow me to increase the input gain and therefore drop the noise floor.

That's cool, thanks :)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi

I currently have an spdif board and a four stack dac set running from a single 12v power supply. Do you think there would be an audible benefit in adding another 12v supply to bower the boards independently?

Many thanks, Si

With things like that the proof is in the eating... ist tsays "high end Audio" ;)

I could imagine it would make difference, but if you think it pays for a new power supply, that is personal

WaveIO firmware and sample rate LED questions

It's been a while since I checked-in. ;)

A couple of questions.....

Doede, the WaveIO that was supplied with your kit is older than revision 0x0331, so my understanding is that it cannot be user upgraded to the latest firmware which supports 384k. It would need returning to Lucien for the update? Do you have an arrangement with Lucien? ie. should the board be sent back to you (as the OEM) or should I contact Lucien directly?

Secondly, my memory is a little hazy..... The sample rate LED's. "Host Active" and "Audio Streaming" are permanently lit while music is playing. The actual rate LEDs, ie. 44k1, 88k2.... were they ever meant to stay permanently lit? I can't remember whether they were. It's been a while since I noticed. The behaviour now is that they flash for about of a 1/10 second when changing sample rate and then stay off until the next change of sample rate. Something makes me think they used to stay lit.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's been a while since I checked-in. ;)

A couple of questions.....

Doede, the WaveIO that was supplied with your kit is older than revision 0x0331, so my understanding is that it cannot be user upgraded to the latest firmware which supports 384k. It would need returning to Lucien for the update? Do you have an arrangement with Lucien? ie. should the board be sent back to you (as the OEM) or should I contact Lucien directly?

Secondly, my memory is a little hazy..... The sample rate LED's. "Host Active" and "Audio Streaming" are permanently lit while music is playing. The actual rate LEDs, ie. 44k1, 88k2.... were they ever meant to stay permanently lit? I can't remember whether they were. It's been a while since I noticed. The behaviour now is that they flash for about of a 1/10 second when changing sample rate and then stay off until the next change of sample rate. Something makes me think they used to stay lit.

No real arrangement as you are the first to ask :eek:
I am pretty sure you can do this directly. just send me pm and we will get it arranged...

yes the LED are permanently lit, normally at the standard rate of your operating system when no music is playing.... for example, if you put iTunes in 192 kHz, the 192 led will always be in, till music plays and it will take the actual....

so if this is not the case I suspect your player software