A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Doede will explain in more detail I'm sure but the transformers aren't needed at all. If you do want to try the transformers though you will need at least 4 DAC boards.

I currently have 4 DAC boards with the Mundorf Caps, I'm considering the transformers as the next step. As it is in my system the DDDAC sounds excellent.

indeed, the transformers are an option. I wanted the benefit of all dac outputs, balanced signal and the extra gain. guess what? the transformers were superior in SQ as well ;). so it was a double whammy

without top components, the dac is already great and also with the mundorfs supplied in the kit, it plays at very high level.

as long as people are willing to spend thousands of euro for interconnects, I thing spending money on TOP components is not a waste. but it is not a MUST. the basic version with the standard components is guaranteed already for huge listening joy :). the rest is tweaking and hobby :D and if you have the budget, totally worth it :cool:

hi Tuyen, nice work so far !
yes you need capacitors if there is a connection between both systems ground. this is normally the case, one way or the other. if not you can try without, as long as the amp can handle a few mV DC. that is what you will measure, please check, between POS and NEG terminal....

oh, do not forget to place the jumper on the WaveIO board to "EXT" :)

....which would mean for tube amps to have no issue, right ? A few mV dc does not matter, a few volt would...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
5v power to digital and to *analog part
should i limit the current or it works only by using the 10k reference resistors ?

there is no need for any current limiting... the 10 k you refer to is probably the one for the bias according to standard datasheet design and in my case that is 6k.

still not 100% sure, what you exactly try to achieve :confused:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
30skolg.jpg

sounding pretty sweet. initial improvements that I think I can hear is that the music has a more open, refined feel and subtleties of notes are coming out.

Has anyone tried out different IV resistors. Would it be worth trying the Audio Note non magnetic type ?

I have not tried it yet but I expect Tantalum resistors will be the best for this position.

In tube amps I use carbon film in series with the signal and tantalum to ground.

I will first try the sowters.

I have soldered in shunt regulators on the position of the 3.3v and 8v regulators, they are now burning in and I must say it is quite a big improvement in sound. I will report later with some pictures.

Regards,

Regarding output capacitors consider Jensen copper foil in oil. These come in two tastes: with aluminium cover and with paper cover. The latter one sounds better but is more expensive.

I have experiemted years ago with taking off the shrinkfoil of electrolytics and caps, this brings an audible improvement. This has to do with the foil being static and that influences the magnetic field of the capacitor, this magnetic field is generated by the AC currents running through a capacitor. If the magnetic field is influenced, it will also influence the currents; thus losing microdynamics.

The aluminum cover also has a similar effect. If you saw off this cover the sound will be MUCH better!
The oldest paper in oil capacitors that I have stripped are now around 8 years old and still measure and sound fantastic.

So this is my little "geheimtip"

Jensen has also discovered this, hence their more expensive line of caps with paper cover. Don't let them fool you.................

Regards,

Hey Supersufer,

Are you suggesting I peel the cover from the cap and somehow replace it with paper? That sounds a bit dangerous, I couldn't find a method on google, do you have an article explaining the process?

No article, I tried it for myself. it is not dangerous, worst thing is you destroy the cap. I have been using peeled off caps in tube amps with a few hundred volts dc on them, though I would not recommend you to do that. The dac however only has 2.7volts dc out so that is harmless.

I use a small metal saw to saw the aluminium off and used some pliers. Most of the caps (depending on value) have some room between the actual capacitor and the aluminium cover. Some caps have a bit of lose oil in them, you can clean that off.

I also tried this with electrolythics but they dry out and lose their capacity, paper in oil capacitors are very easy to modify this way.

You can leave the capacitor open or cover it with a bit of carton and tape (no plastic tape of cource)

Hi,

Here are some pictures:
-you can see the inside of the Jensen copper foil capacitors, some paper around and wooden covers.
-the complete arrangement with Alix board and custom short USB cable.
-The shunt regulators from Tentlabs for 8V and 3,3V, I had to remove some capacitors and the regulators. You can leave out the Wima because there is also one on the shunt. I still have to remove the electrolytics that are directly on the pins of the dac chip (the wima's will stay); this will give more speed/dynamics.

Next will be to mount the Sowters and two extra dac boards.

Attachments

• IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 1,217
  • IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IMG_5915.jpg
    IMG_5915.jpg