A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

I did build two already. One with one deck, and the other with four decks. And now I will make some serious listeningtests. Also with the outputcaps, auricaps vs mundorf silvergoldoil.
It is in mho the best dac I heard. Just sold a totally tweaked v-dac......that little one had space, pinpoint and so on...(and even was better then an Altmann dac) ....but the dddac .... Is another story......it is the beautiful girl standing before you in the most beautiful lingerie........but then for the ears. The secret in audioworld......sssshhhhhht.:):D

Hello Jan,

Interested to read how you find 1 board vs 4 boards. Also auricap vs mundorf sgo.

I have recently ordered the 5v and 12v psu kits to power my single board dddac.

Before this dac, I was running doede's 120chip paralleled dddac1543 mk2 usb. very nice sounding dac, even though was feeding it a very sub-optimal high-current power supply.

Hi dogears,

Great stuff. Am sure you will not be disappointed.

I have tried the Benchmark DAC1 HDR on my system (4-way GOTO horn system) and while being resolute and dynamic, all music had digital edge to it (overly 'sharp' and 'crisp'). Doesn't sound 'natural' in comparison to the dddac.

Very subjective.. I understand :)

There's 1 currently for sale locally and I am very tempted to get it just for reference and probably tweaking (cap replacement) :D It's being sold for ~EUR518

I think I am the sole DDDACer here in my country :D I went only up to 16chips but the sound is already 'analog' like with 'scary bass' [very natural sounding i.e.] lines. 240chips... maybe as good as an expensive turntable setup already huh?!

There's 1 currently for sale locally and I am very tempted to get it just for reference and probably tweaking (cap replacement) It's being sold for ~EUR518
Do you use SPDIF or USB? If you are able to use USB. I would suggest getting something like the ODAC as a reference (not tweakable really) But it is quite a good DAC especially for the money. I find it sounds a little forward. But it sure retrieves a lot of detail from the music. Since 518 euro is quite a lot of money just to have a reference. Essentially I'm posting because I found out recently that it is quite handy to have a reference.

Hi Bas (Lightyear),
The one being sold is the SPDIF version. I am hoping the price would go down substantially but yes, the price is quite high for a reference but the BMDAC1 is one of the most common reference in reviews.
I've been eyeing the ODAC as well since I already have the O2 amp.
Thanks much for the suggestion... I might just go on with the preorder :D
Cheers.

edit: I forgot to mention that I also need a preamp for my AKSA power amp so I thought the DAC1 is a good choice since its already a very good DAC/PRE.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Great, I would really would,like to see some images and reviews here. I know that they are out there :) :)

on another note: there has been some questions and comments about the quantization noise with my dac, as I am using the same clock for the bit clock as well for the master clock ( remember, this was done to avoid the digital filter). I have done several tests and am almost completed ( need to understand it a bit better as well, so what to measure?). I will post some images from the AP system next week. I can already say, that indeed you can actually see a correlation between sampling frequency and the Quantization noise. also, that it is well within limits. never the less a very interesting aspect. I still want to do some listening tests around this theme. stay tuned :cool:

Some pictures....her with one deck.....more to follow:)

Attachments

• DDDAC 1.jpg
    DDDAC 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,214
  • DDDAC 2.jpg
    DDDAC 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,203
Photo's

Here's a few photo's of my recent build.

I'm using Doede's SPDIF board as my main source being fed by a modified Sonos ZP80 (PSU Mods with Paul Hynes linear regulator boards). I started off with one DAC board and two PSU's but now have four boards and three PSU's. I also have the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps on the output and I've also grounded the neg outputs.