A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

absolutely correct, but I assume spdif to be used with CD players or similar applications. if you have material at higher speed, this is not possible. Hence the USB solution...

Yes, of course. I was just thinking out loud. (For example, my Logitech Touch can output 192kHz from SPDIF.) It wasn't clear from your web page that 96kHz would be a limit if you were going to use your SPDIF->I2S converter with the DDAC1794, so I just thought I'd point it out. ;)

Probably I'll go with optical connection (galvanic separation) so I'll need TOSLINK 24/192 input and I2s output.

There be another can of worms..... Most TOSLINK isn't capable of transmitting >96kHz, even when the electrical SPDIF connection is. Before you go down that path you need to be sure that whatever you are using as a source is capable of putting out > 96kHz via optical. Don't assume it is just because the electrical connection can.

I've got a confession to make and it probably qualifies me for some sort of award for stupidity.......

I couldn't detect any difference at all, the WaveIO being bus powered, compared to using an external supply. Should have read the manual. Don't know what I was thinking, that it would auto-sense the external supply. So I thought I was using an external supply by virtue of the fact that I had connected one to the WaveIO board, but not realised that I needed to move a jumper to actually be using it....... LOL.

There be another can of worms..... Most TOSLINK isn't capable of transmitting >96kHz, even when the electrical SPDIF connection is. Before you go down that path you need to be sure that whatever you are using as a source is capable of putting out > 96kHz via optical. Don't assume it is just because the electrical connection can.

What's the reason for ? Is it a problem of optic fiber quality ? Or Torx connector quality ? or anything else ? :confused:

What's the reason for ? Is it a problem of optic fiber quality ? Or Torx connector quality ? or anything else ? :confused:

Optical hardware.... Transmitters / receivers.... Whether they have the bandwidth (>9Mbps) to handle 192kHz. Sometimes there are software limits. Last time I came across this with with a friends mac. Regardless of whether the port could handle >96kHz, software limited output at 96kHz. It's all a bit hit and miss. There is plenty of kit out there where the manufacturer doesn't want to stand behind the spec, so they deliberately state the optical port is only capable of 96kHz, although with the wind in the right direction and dependant on the source feeding it, it might be more than happy to work flawlessly as 192kHz. The Cambridge streaming player (network music thingy / DAC) is one example of this. Another example, would be my Logitech Touch. It's capable of putting out 192kHz electrical, but the optical port isn't capable of sending it reliably. YMMV.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've got a confession to make and it probably qualifies me for some sort of award for stupidity.......

I couldn't detect any difference at all, the WaveIO being bus powered, compared to using an external supply. Should have read the manual. Don't know what I was thinking, that it would auto-sense the external supply. So I thought I was using an external supply by virtue of the fact that I had connected one to the WaveIO board, but not realised that I needed to move a jumper to actually be using it....... LOL.

Actually I felt ashamed of asking this :rolleyes:

anyway do you now hear any difference?

Actually I felt ashamed of asking this :rolleyes:

No, assume I am a sandwich short of a picnic and you won't be too far wrong! Sometimes I get so bogged down with focusing on the smallest of details that I end up missing the things that should be blindingly obvious! ;) It's not the first time and it won't be the last......

anyway do you now hear any difference?

Yes, and on my headphone rig, (which I've spent most of the day listening through), it's not subtle. I'm rather surprised!

(I still stand by my earlier comments about the 12V supply to the mainboard not seeming to make a difference. A decent low ripple supply, shunt or series regulated, and I don't think you would be able to pick which supply is being used in a blind listening test. And no jumper movement required so I can't have messed-up there.)

I'll post some more comments on external power for the WaveIO later. I've had a pretty good listen with a shunt reg and one of those LT1674 (linear reg) eBay modules, with the jumper correctly set for external power.

Have just ordered my complete kit with 1 DAC board, Wave I/O, SPDIF board and PSU's.

Looking forward to having a go at my first DAC build project but with my limited electronics knowledge I might need some advice on the switching for USB/SPDIF inputs. Any thoughts to get me started?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Actually the spdif board allows for this. it has an auxililary i2s input which can be selected. it is all the board and in the kit....

and here is a small sketch / drawing how to connect it as the spdif board has relays on board to switch between I2S from the spdif decoder or the aux I2S input

Attachments

• Connect dddac SPDIF Board between WaveIO and Mainboard DDDAC1794.GIF
    Connect dddac SPDIF Board between WaveIO and Mainboard DDDAC1794.GIF
    274.2 KB · Views: 1,450
and here is a small sketch / drawing how to connect it as the spdif board has relays on board to switch between I2S from the spdif decoder or the aux I2S input

I have something similar and it works well. Just replaced some parts by something "better" (few Jamicon 100µF by Nichicon organic caps for exemple). However, you have to forget the ribbon cable for signal wires.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had oscillation around 200 KHz. It needed more than 100 nF. 0.47µF + 0,1 µF (already there) was necessary at least on my board.

Thanks for this Input. I will check (measure) later on my own DAC if it is the same here. The filter which Comes after the Regulator (LC) filters -70dB at 200 kHz, probably hence it is not noticed on the analog side of things. But as said, let me check this. Better to have no oscillations left over on the Regulator of course. Will do some tests and chime in later today

Attachments

• filter.gif
    filter.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,253
Joined 2003
Paid Member
;)
grounding the neg out while utilizing the positive, (rather than it being tied to earth by 133R but otherwise unused), results in a ~3db reduction in 2nd harmonic from the pos out.

mmm, need to check (measure) this again. I believe I tried and this messed up the DC bias of the other DAC output.
so, if you ground the not used output, what DC voltage did you get on the used one? did you measure this? Will check myself as well

PS: I use the transformer output a lot, so no Option for me anyway ;)