Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2018, 11:51 AM   #6471
vvolant is offline vvolant
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I bought a DDDAC from a hifi and electronics enthusiast a few years ago.
The DAC board is the SPDIF one and today the input is configured with SPDIF input.
I also use a singxer SU-1 USB/SPDIF converter before the DAC. This interface has an I2S output over HDMI.
My question: would I have better result using theI2S input of the DAC rather than the SPDIF?
In that case, how should I link the HDMI cable to the I2S input of the DAC?
Thanks!
Old 10th February 2018, 07:15 AM   #6472
dddac is online now dddac  Germany
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolant View Post
Hi all,

I bought a DDDAC from a hifi and electronics enthusiast a few years ago.
The DAC board is the SPDIF one and today the input is configured with SPDIF input.
I also use a singxer SU-1 USB/SPDIF converter before the DAC. This interface has an I2S output over HDMI.
My question: would I have better result using theI2S input of the DAC rather than the SPDIF?
In that case, how should I link the HDMI cable to the I2S input of the DAC?
Thanks!
Without the double conversion from I2S to spdif and back again, it is likely you will gain by using direct I2S connection. I can make. A sketch for you how to connect, but for that I need you to post what the pin layout of the HDMI connector is they are using. Can you do that ?
Old 11th February 2018, 06:30 AM   #6473
chriss0212 is offline chriss0212  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Volant,

In the past I have used a modified version of the Singxer f1 and used I2S output. It is much better compared to the SPDIF!

Now I am using a Micromedia Dante Device with I2S output... again better. Unbelievable 3D Stage!

Greetings

Christian
Old 11th February 2018, 06:50 AM   #6474
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss0212 View Post
Hi Volant,

In the past I have used a modified version of the Singxer f1 and used I2S output. It is much better compared to the SPDIF!

Now I am using a Micromedia Dante Device with I2S output... again better. Unbelievable 3D Stage!

Greetings

Christian
Which device exactly?? I can't see any board on their website that explicitly states it has I2S out...

Micromedia Products | Audinate
Old 11th February 2018, 07:03 AM   #6475
chriss0212 is offline chriss0212  Germany
diyAudio Member

It is the F1.

It has I2S connectors on board.

Greetings

Christian
Old 11th February 2018, 04:13 PM   #6476
diyAudio Member

hi,

At the moment I didn't find any information on how the HDMI output of the SU-1 is wired. Still trying to find...
I took a picture of the inside but I doubt it will be helpful..Click the image to open in full size.

I have a second question. I have added 2 Dac boards to my DAC (this makes a 4 decks dac now). I read that the rload should use 34 ohm resistors. What kind of resistor is it better to use ?

thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 04:17 PM   #6477
diyAudio Member

Sorry, it's me again, I just found the description of the HDMI connection:
I2S port use HDMI socket output:
1.Electrical level is 3.3V LVDS differential signa.
2.DSD ON singnal,5Vpower supply,CPLD has processed the MUTE signal,so do not need to process it again.
3.DSD ON signal can be user-defined,DSD ON signal can be connected to PIN 13,14,15,16 on the socket.
4.You can adjust the phase of PIN 1-3 and PIN 7-9 with a switch.
Flexible HDMI-I2S output configuration:
Switch 1-4 is for PIN13-16 on the HDMI socket.
When you turn it into "ON",it means that HDMI PIN has DSD_ON function.
Switch 5 is clock output mode,"OFF" is MCLK,"ON" is WCK.
Switch 6 is for HDMI PIN1-3 and PIN 7-9 phase,ON is positive phase,OFF is negative phase.(ON is for Gustard DAC,OFF is for PS audio)
If it is Gustard DAC,please turn Switch 3 and 6 into "ON",others are "OFF.
Switch 7 and 8 are standby.
The case of formal version(we will write it when formal version finished,now it is not formal version),we will design a hole in the back of the case,so if you want to change configuration,you do not need to open the case.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:53 AM   #6478
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry, it's me again, I just found the description of the HDMI connection:
I2S port use HDMI socket output:
1.Electrical level is 3.3V LVDS differential signa.
2.DSD ON singnal,5Vpower supply,CPLD has processed the MUTE signal,so do not need to process it again.
3.DSD ON signal can be user-defined,DSD ON signal can be connected to PIN 13,14,15,16 on the socket.
4.You can adjust the phase of PIN 1-3 and PIN 7-9 with a switch.
Flexible HDMI-I2S output configuration:
Switch 1-4 is for PIN13-16 on the HDMI socket.
When you turn it into "ON",it means that HDMI PIN has DSD_ON function.
Switch 5 is clock output mode,"OFF" is MCLK,"ON" is WCK.
Switch 6 is for HDMI PIN1-3 and PIN 7-9 phase,ON is positive phase,OFF is negative phase.(ON is for Gustard DAC,OFF is for PS audio)
If it is Gustard DAC,please turn Switch 3 and 6 into "ON",others are "OFF.
Switch 7 and 8 are standby.
The case of formal version(we will write it when formal version finished,now it is not formal version),we will design a hole in the back of the case,so if you want to change configuration,you do not need to open the case.

Click the image to open in full size.
mmmhh... it gets more tricky than expected... The signals are no problem, Data, BCLK and LRCLK are the ones you need to attach to the DDDAC mainboard to the corresponding I2S pins (plus connect the GNDs which are in between the P and N signals of course)

This might work already if you use the "P" only, but I am not sure. you can try - Otherwise you will have to build a receiver which makes single ended output from the differential inputs
Old 12th February 2018, 08:00 AM   #6479
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hi,

At the moment I didn't find any information on how the HDMI output of the SU-1 is wired. Still trying to find...
I took a picture of the inside but I doubt it will be helpful..Click the image to open in full size.

I have a second question. I have added 2 Dac boards to my DAC (this makes a 4 decks dac now). I read that the rload should use 34 ohm resistors. What kind of resistor is it better to use ?

thanks
The Dales/Vishays are absolutely ok. Some (including myself use the audio note resistors. Make sure to use minimum 0,5 Watt (better 1Watt)
Old 16th February 2018, 01:44 PM   #6480
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weymario View Post
Hello!
I have also a RPi 3 with Allo Isolator and HiFi Berry digi pro and i am very satisfied with the Sound :-)

Thanks, mario
Mario - I am building this too but on this link I am confused about the PSU needed for the Allo. Did you power it the Allo, Pi and HiFi Berry using the same single 5 v PSU?

DDDAC 1794 BerryStreamer met Allo Isolator

Thanks
Simon

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!