Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2018, 09:37 AM   #6411
Weymario is offline Weymario  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default Left Channel is louder

Hello!
I have also a RPi 3 with Allo Isolator and HiFi Berry digi pro and i am very satisfied with the Sound :-)
I habe 3 Decks af the dddac since 3years (red motherboard). Now there is a Problem because the left Channel plays louder than the right. The amp is okay though it must be the dac. Is it possible that One Deck of the right Channel is defect?
Where should i Check the Volt to compare?
Thanks, mario
Old 11th January 2018, 06:14 AM   #6412
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan646 View Post
Happy new year !
I have a question regarding the signal input resistors (R1). There are there for line impedance matching? The Hermes - Cronus are having 33ohm resistors in the signals paths , so I am guessing it will be a good thing to change all the DAC boards R1 to 33ohm as well?
EDIT: with the Hermes Cronus connected directly to the DAC, without the main board
I see no need for this, as R1 is not the impedance from the input line. it is just a decoupling between sender and input.
Old 11th January 2018, 06:29 AM   #6413
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weymario View Post
Hello!
I have also a RPi 3 with Allo Isolator and HiFi Berry digi pro and i am very satisfied with the Sound :-)
I habe 3 Decks af the dddac since 3years (red motherboard). Now there is a Problem because the left Channel plays louder than the right. The amp is okay though it must be the dac. Is it possible that One Deck of the right Channel is defect?
Where should i Check the Volt to compare?
Thanks, mario
Swap out the cables at the analog out on the DDDAC board to verify the issue is on the DDDAC board(s) and not somewhere "downstream" (wiring, transformers, etc.). If the issue really is on the DDDAC, check the I/V resistors. Are they (still) all the same value? Solder connections ok? My next steps would be (1) to check if the input data is not somehow "unbalanced" (*) and (2) take off one DAC deck after the other and see if the problem can be isolated to one of the decks.

[*: I once thought I have a broken DAC (not DDDAC) and sent it in for repair, but it was perfectly ok. It turned out I somehow managed to modify the digital data so become out of balance...]
Old 12th January 2018, 10:35 PM   #6414
charlyparker is offline charlyparker  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello, I want to go from cinch to balanced output, are the load resistors still important coz they are connected to common which is not in use when going balanced

and I also want to know, if I had to use the load resistors, is it ok to use 8 x 68R in total for a 4 deck
Old 13th January 2018, 07:34 AM   #6415
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlyparker View Post
Hello, I want to go from cinch to balanced output, are the load resistors still important coz they are connected to common which is not in use when going balanced

and I also want to know, if I had to use the load resistors, is it ok to use 8 x 68R in total for a 4 deck
yes they are important as they are there for the bias. leave everything as is and use POS and NEG for the balanced outputs (pin 2 and 3) leave COMMON unconnected

yes in total 8x 68 in stead of 4x34 is also right for 4 decks. that is why there is place for 8 resistors, the positions Ra and Rb are in parallel
Old 13th January 2018, 07:40 AM   #6416
charlyparker is offline charlyparker  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks Doede, I was confused by some pictures, one of the pictures on your site show 8x 34 dales but last night I discover via the audio creative site that it was a picture for a 8 stack build of you

now I am completely reassured

Last edited by charlyparker; 13th January 2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:38 AM   #6417
DDDAC Audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlyparker View Post
Thanks Doede, I was confused by some pictures, one of the pictures on your site show 8x 34 dales but last night I discover via the audio creative site that it was a picture for a 8 stack build of you

now I am completely reassured
ok! glad I could help :-)
Old 13th January 2018, 11:01 AM   #6418
stefan646 is offline stefan646
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I want to buy the Cinemags to try them, but on the Audio Creative site are the 600 model, and untill now everybody used the 15k model. What are the differences regard the SQ between them, and when to use one instead of another?
Old 14th January 2018, 10:44 AM   #6419
Tikkel is offline Tikkel
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan646 View Post
Hello,

I want to buy the Cinemags to try them, but on the Audio Creative site are the 600 model, and untill now everybody used the 15k model. What are the differences regard the SQ between them, and when to use one instead of another?
Just yesterday I changed to from 15/15B to 600/600C.
I believe you need 4 decks to properly drive rhese (I have 4 TENT decks).
Output resistor is 1.8k (RCA).
Soundwise I am very pleased! More natural, more presence, more detail, more bass/body.
Hope this helps...
Old 14th January 2018, 06:10 PM   #6420
Almeg69 is offline Almeg69  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am still running a 16 stack of the old boards into the Sowter transformers and it is superb sound quality.
The more stacks the better. So as soon as anyone can get 15 or 16 Tent Dac boards to work let me know.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!