A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Is anyone able to answer dwjames' interesting point?
Thanks
Big thanks to Doede for a brilliant kit :) I've only got 1xdac board for now, but I've just installed TentLabs shunts this week and the results are wonderful :)

Got a question though... If I'm using a standard non-balanced output and the dc offset across the positive and negative output pins is very low (less than 200mv) is there any reason why I shouldn't just wire my rca to these pins and do away with the coupling caps? Is this dc offset figure likely to change for any reason? A few guys are running their kits like this and reporting good results with only a very slight hum at very high volumes with no music playing. The best cap is no cap at all, right?
Thanks,
James

Is anyone able to answer dwjames' interesting point?
Thanks

In general: DC on the input of your amplifier can blow up speaker units due to amplifying DC to a high level that will overload the speaker.

There is a risk depending on the amp. Most amps have an input capacitor to block DC so there you can leave the cap on the dac side out. Tube amps will (except for OTL) never put DC on the speakers because they use transformers, but the DC will influence the bias of your input tube, and is therefore not reccommended. Except if you use an input transformer that can handle DC like I do.

Hum is not induced by DC, so you will also hear that when coupling with a cap or trannie.

Normally The low DC output of the dac unit will not drift after it has burned in for a while, but if a chip damages the DC can go up to higher levels.

Using no cap sounds definitely better but it is entirely at your own risk!

When you build your own amps or are able to determine if it has a DC blocking input cap you can judge for yourself if there is a risk.

Regards,

In general: DC on the input of your amplifier can blow up speaker units due to amplifying DC to a high level that will overload the speaker.

There is a risk depending on the amp. Most amps have an input capacitor to block DC so there you can leave the cap on the dac side out. Tube amps will (except for OTL) never put DC on the speakers because they use transformers, but the DC will influence the bias of your input tube, and is therefore not reccommended. Except if you use an input transformer that can handle DC like I do.

Hum is not induced by DC, so you will also hear that when coupling with a cap or trannie.

Normally The low DC output of the dac unit will not drift after it has burned in for a while, but if a chip damages the DC can go up to higher levels.

Using no cap sounds definitely better but it is entirely at your own risk!

When you build your own amps or are able to determine if it has a DC blocking input cap you can judge for yourself if there is a risk.

Regards,
Fantastic,thanks

Supersurfer, What about a self-biasing OTL tube amp with DC blocking caps between gain and power tubes ?

If you mean with self biasing that the input tube uses a kathode resistor with parrallel cap: the dc from dac will be added to the tube bias. Depending on the absolute bias level compaired to the extra induced bias this might not be a problem.

Be aware that doing this is entierely at your own risk!

Do you have a schematic available?

If you mean with self biasing that the input tube uses a kathode resistor with parrallel cap: the dc from dac will be added to the tube bias. Depending on the absolute bias level compaired to the extra induced bias this might not be a problem.

Be aware that doing this is entierely at your own risk!

Do you have a schematic available?

That's exactly what I was going to ask about for my WD Kel84 amp with dc blocking caps between the input and output stage. Here's the schematic for that
kel84.jpg

With this design I would measure the voltages in the amp to find out what happens when you put DC on the input ( It's not my preferred tube amp type :( )

Thanks, I'll get the voltmeter out and investigate. I'm quite sure this small dc offset between pos+neg won't make it to the speakers due to the coupling caps in the amp, it's just a question of whether it effects the voltages of that first tube in any bad way, but if it stays at the current level, hopefully we're all good. :)

There is experience with running the dac direct to the end amplifier. Depending on the total gain this might prove to be not be favorable. reason is, that the dddac has some quantization noise at -80 dB level at high frequencies with 44.1 and 48 tracks starting at 5 kHz. if now your amplifier chain has a high gain, you will hear HF noise from your speakers when playing quietly or at no music

secondly I do not like volume control in payers, as it ruins bit perfect playback....

if you insist not to have a volume control AFTER the DAC (can be even passive or with a TCV ( my choice ) ) than at least make a switch at the output which reduces the sound level including the noise, with -20dB. noise will be too low to hear than and you do not need to waist so many bits for normal listening volumes. if you want to play load, just flip the -20 dB switch.

a good way to do this, is to change ( more decks is ad rato ) the 134 Ohm Rload with two in series. like ... ground - 12 ohm - 120 ohm - dac pos terminal. now tap your signal from the pos ( 0dB) or from the 12 Ohm ( -20dB )

outputimpedance is now very low. your amp likes that and the bias stays intact

Great idea, thanks. Before I can afford to invest in a TCV.