A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2013, 10:25 AM   #561
diyAudio Member

Hi Supersurfer,

I don't think it was bad soldering since I especially checked for those. Also, I mounted and unmounted the module a few times and the problem was always there, unchanged. I'm also puzzled by what it could be.

Regards,
Old 7th October 2013, 09:23 AM   #562
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Nice tweak Doede, I've used 22nF on my 4 deck DDDAC and it does sound even better. I can't confirm with any measurements as I haven't got the equipment to do so.
Is this modification advised for everybody?
Old 8th October 2013, 07:19 PM   #563
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touister View Post
Is this modification advised for everybody?
No reason why not and sounds worth trying
Old 12th October 2013, 07:33 PM   #564
dddac is online now dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJ View Post
No reason why not and sounds worth trying
indeed, but as often with tweaks, the end result is always a combination of the total audio chain.

The tweak was done in the first place to reduce the HF noise on the output, which in some cases could even lead to small cracks in the music, specially when four or more decks are being used.

The extra effect of lowering the HF noise is that the music gets smoother without loosing dynamics or detail. But it might be a matter of taste if you like it.

I must say, the reactions of DIY who did so now, were all in one direction... keep the capacitors on top

If I find some time, I will need to spend a page on my website on this....
Old 16th October 2013, 12:28 PM   #565
emyeuoi is offline emyeuoi  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default A new DDDAC is playing

Hi all,
I don't remember how I found this thread some weeks ago but I can say that I am one of the lucky guys that meet Doede and his fantastic DDDAC. I was sheptic at the beginning because is my first approch to the object "DAC". I build my amplifier from F5Turbo project and the preamplifier DCB1 (is the one under the DDDAC on the picture).
Long story short, my DDDAC is playing music since 2 days and I never think to have this result... Is simply perfect!!!... the music flow out so suite and clean... I can't stop to play music... Doede was always available with his advice since the beginning and I can say that after soldering more or less 100 electrolitics I was quite sure that something get in wrong way... not at all!!! First power on and everything works perfectly.
Thanks Doede for your fantastic project that you share with all of us.
Enrico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131016_210630.jpg (970.1 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg 20131016_210647.jpg (395.2 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg 20131016_210724.jpg (578.7 KB, 518 views)
Old 16th October 2013, 02:21 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

thanks for positive post! good I see the picture.... the transformer should be connected between pos and neg terminal, this will improve SQ and avoid magnetizing the core
Old 16th October 2013, 09:42 PM   #567
diyAudio Member

Sorry Doede but I don't understand what you mean... the connection of the Sotwer?
Old 16th October 2013, 09:55 PM   #568
diyAudio Member

I reply too fast.... I found in the post 492 the connection ... thanks
Enrico
Old 17th October 2013, 12:25 AM   #569
carlsor is offline carlsor  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: Saint Augustine FL in winter & Naperville IL in summer
I went to the DDDac web site and found that the 1543 SPDIF & I2S Receiver Board is sold out. Will these become available again or will I have to find a suitable substitute?

I plan to build a DDDac 1794 with WAVEIO. I already have a Rakk DAC III with a PCM1794 chip and Lundahl 1674 outputs which sounds fantastic. I need a second DAC and love the PCM1794 sound. The dual mono NOS version should be even better.
Old 17th October 2013, 06:05 AM   #570
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsor View Post
I went to the DDDac web site and found that the 1543 SPDIF & I2S Receiver Board is sold out. Will these become available again or will I have to find a suitable substitute?

I plan to build a DDDac 1794 with WAVEIO. I already have a Rakk DAC III with a PCM1794 chip and Lundahl 1674 outputs which sounds fantastic. I need a second DAC and love the PCM1794 sound. The dual mono NOS version should be even better.
indeed, all feedback goes in that direction. Dual MONO, stacked boards, NOS delivers unparalleled analogue sound.

Now, Even though spdif is not up to the SQ of the USB streaming, I realized there is a practical side to things as well. So decided to add this now

therefore I can now announce, I am at the drawing board, designing a second mainboard, which will be offered next to the existing mainboard. It will have a WM8804 based spdif input. On board switching / selection for USB or spdif of course. I might add space for an optional Tent Clock.

Timing is as follows:
Design ready beginning Nov and order pcb and parts for first prototype building.
beginning December, have SMD parts assembled on the pcbs
mid December build first prototypes and do testing. Technical and listening.
IF everything is ok order parts and PCBs beginning January
beginning February, things should be available in normal quantities...

so, now I have put this down, I made some nice deadlines for my self, haha

I will build a few prototypes with one, four and eight dac boards. anyone interested to buy one of those after first success, can send me a normal mail.

Hide this!Advertise here!