Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2016, 08:39 AM   #5321
smooth dancer is offline smooth dancer  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm tempted to mix in my 4 old dac boards with the 4 new one with Tents. But I'm not so sure this is a good thing to do. I think a shootout between the old 4 deck vs. the new 4 deck with Tents is the way to go. I suspect the old boards will take away some of the advantage of using the Tent boards. Someone else with the old boards who share the same thoughts ?

Almeg69@

It's one hell of a monster dac you have put together, RESPECT !!!
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:31 AM   #5322
Almeg69 is offline Almeg69  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth dancer View Post
I'm tempted to mix in my 4 old dac boards with the 4 new one with Tents. But I'm not so sure this is a good thing to do. I think a shootout between the old 4 deck vs. the new 4 deck with Tents is the way to go. I suspect the old boards will take away some of the advantage of using the Tent boards. Someone else with the old boards who share the same thoughts ?

Almeg69@

I would not be afraid of mixing the Dac boards, it would lower the output impedance to drive the Sowter transformers and give more powerful bass with more refined vocals :-)
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:46 AM   #5323
diyAudio Member

No Sowters or Caps on the output in my dac. Balanced out, xlr.
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:50 AM   #5324
Cambridgedac3 is offline Cambridgedac3  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No Sowters or Caps on the output in my dac. Balanced out, xlr.
Hi Smooth Dancer,
If you use balanced out (XLR), you'll still need 4 caps. Or am I wrong?
Please explain.
bye, Hans
Old 23rd May 2016, 02:39 PM   #5325
diyAudio Member

Hi Hans

No, no caps at all. Connected "positive out" to pin 2 and "negative out" to pin 3 on xlr out from dac to my balanced Hegel P30 pre amp. Measure almost no dc at all at output from dac (0.004mv dc). "Common" is not in use when you go balanced, only "pos" and "neg".

I have tried the Cinemags and caps in my setup, and it's best without any of them. Resolution, dynamics and bass definition is better.

If you want to try without transformers or caps, make sure your amp can handle it.
Old 23rd May 2016, 02:59 PM   #5326
Cambridgedac3 is offline Cambridgedac3  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Hans

No, no caps at all. Connected "positive out" to pin 2 and "negative out" to pin 3 on xlr out from dac to my balanced Hegel P30 pre amp. Measure almost no dc at all at output from dac (0.004mv dc). "Common" is not in use when you go balanced, only "pos" and "neg".
Don't get it : I measure 2,8 Vdc output, on 'pos' and 'neg' related to 'Ground'. It's not relevant to measure the voltage between 'pos' and 'neg' out.
I Think you have to be very careful with this 'direct' setup; you can easily ruin your preamp.
Old 23rd May 2016, 03:13 PM   #5327
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Ground is most likely lifted (?). In my experience most/all true differential amps will perform better with ground lifted then they would have with ground connected and DC blocking caps. But yes, you do have to know what you are doing (as with most things)
Old 23rd May 2016, 03:20 PM   #5328
Weymario is offline Weymario  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Almeg69@

hi smooth dancer,
i am interested in this question too. i have 3 new decks installed (sounds already amazing :-) and 2 old decks lying around because there is not enough place in the DDDAC-box. but if it is worth, i maybe would try it.

another question: is it okay to use longer (ca. 20 cm) connections between the new and the old decks or is this a problem for the signals?

mario
Old 23rd May 2016, 03:46 PM   #5329
diyAudio Member

Hans !
Here is what Doede say.

hi Tuyen, nice work so far !
yes you need capacitors if there is a connection between both systems ground. this is normally the case, one way or the other. if not you can try without, as long as the amp can handle a few mV DC. that is what you will measure, please check, between POS and NEG terminal....

Last edited by smooth dancer; 23rd May 2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 23rd May 2016, 04:06 PM   #5330
diyAudio Member

Mario @

I have decided to use only the new boards with Tents. My old boards have been playing for a long time and I am familiar with the sound. My friend, which have the new boards, are also familiar with the sound from my "old" dac.

After he finished his dac and had been playing for a few days, he phone me and was very entusiastic about the sound. According to him this new dac is a step, or two, up the ladder.

We have almost identical amps and the same speakers.

Last edited by smooth dancer; 23rd May 2016 at 04:10 PM.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!