A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2013, 03:19 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

Well,

I did order a pair of the Cinemag's. When the postman arrived it didn't take long before they were in my DAC. I still have the dac-solo (as Dick named it) so with one board. Today I went to a good friend and we just listened for a few hours. He has the four boards-DAC, with the Mundorf S/G/Oil.
Well my opinion, I think the Solo with Cinemags is better then the 4 boards without the transformers.
It makes the sound more round, fuller, a....very nice high also, more detail, richer and so on and on. For me, a very good upgrade! More power, but never sharper. Just try before you....

Setup at home:
Macbook Air, Amarra (and Audirvana Plus), DDDAC Solo with Cinemag, Triode Dicks Classic Three Preamp, Classic II 300B amp, and Klipsch La Scala's.

It makes Doede's DAC even more and more wonderful, what a good performance!!!! I was already Flabbergasted...but now I am even more :-)

Last edited by Jan Deckers; 16th August 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 16th August 2013, 06:20 PM   #522
Undarra is offline Undarra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've just finished building my DDDAC and am running it with the SPDIF module, but have a small problem. When i first turn it on it doesn't lock to the incoming signal. If i remove the digital input and reconnect it it works fine and continues to do so. Has anyone else experienced this? and if so what could be the cause?

Many Thanks, Si
Old 16th August 2013, 07:57 PM   #523
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Deckers View Post
Well,

I did order a pair of the Cinemag's. When the postman arrived it didn't take long before they were in my DAC. I still have the dac-solo (as Dick named it) so with one board. Today I went to a good friend and we just listened for a few hours. He has the four boards-DAC, with the Mundorf S/G/Oil.
Well my opinion, I think the Solo with Cinemags is better then the 4 boards without the transformers.
It makes the sound more round, fuller, a....very nice high also, more detail, richer and so on and on. For me, a very good upgrade! More power, but never sharper. Just try before you....

Setup at home:
Macbook Air, Amarra (and Audirvana Plus), DDDAC Solo with Cinemag, Triode Dicks Classic Three Preamp, Classic II 300B amp, and Klipsch La Scala's.

It makes Doede's DAC even more and more wonderful, what a good performance!!!! I was already Flabbergasted...but now I am even more :-)
Thanks for your input Jan. I'm going to be ordering the Cinemags next week once I've returned from my late summer holiday.

I also have the 4 board DDDAC but have recently changed the capacitors from Mundorf SGO to Audyn Copper. I know it's considered best to completely remove the capacitors but the Audyn sound very good compared to the Mundorfs. The bass has much more weight and the mids/highs sound fuller too. I felt the Mundorfs were a little edgy at the top end and overall quite lean in comparison.

One thing is for sure, the Cinemags have really got some 'impressing' to do.
Old 16th August 2013, 08:04 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undarra View Post
Hi,

I've just finished building my DDDAC and am running it with the SPDIF module, but have a small problem. When i first turn it on it doesn't lock to the incoming signal. If i remove the digital input and reconnect it it works fine and continues to do so. Has anyone else experienced this? and if so what could be the cause?

Many Thanks, Si
Si, I'm using the SPDIF module and have had no issues with it at all.

How have you got the bridge connected for the clock speed? What about the other jumper for SYNC SPDIF or Re-Clock? I'm not sure if either of these can cause the issue you mentioned but worth checking perhaps.
Old 16th August 2013, 08:10 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Perhaps try to set up a GB. We got them for a very decent price in 2005 with the DIYAUDIO GB.
Yeah, I bet they were a decent price back then. If anyone else is interested and wants to arrange a GB feel free to let me know.
Old 16th August 2013, 08:41 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian

Thanks for the feedback, I've fitted the links for re lock and 2MHz I think. Not sure if that is right. Do you know what you have yours set to? I won't be able to check mine till tomorrow.

Ps I may be interested in a group but of transformers depending on price

Cheers, si
Old 16th August 2013, 10:08 PM   #527
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undarra View Post
Hi Ian

Thanks for the feedback, I've fitted the links for re lock and 2MHz I think. Not sure if that is right. Do you know what you have yours set to? I won't be able to check mine till tomorrow.

Ps I may be interested in a group but of transformers depending on price

Cheers, si
just post a Picture of the board so we can tell if it is ok...
Old 17th August 2013, 09:06 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Hi doede

I haven't worked out how to post photos yet. I can see that I've linked where it says bridge B (for 2.8224 MHz click) and also Re-clocking. Is this correct? Also what are the benefits of re-clocking over sync mode? I think I've found the problem though, I noticed I hadn't connected the 75r resistor across the digital input phono connector.

I'll try to post pictures again later, and thanks for your help.

Cheers, Si
Old 17th August 2013, 10:12 AM   #529
diyAudio Member

Re-clocking uses the on-board clock and will restrict you to 16bit/44.1k, which is what I have done. I use a Sonos box as my streamer so limiting to 16/44.1 is not an issue for me.

'Sync mode' will allow up to 96k which is the limit of CS8414 SPDIF receiver chip.

Ah yes, the 75ohm resistor could be the issue.
Old 17th August 2013, 10:17 AM   #530
diyAudio Member

Thanks ian, that makes sense, I'm only using red book CD so I think I'll leave it as is for now. I'll fit the 75r resistor when I get home and hopefully that'll fix it. Need to decide whether to upgrade to four boards now!

Hide this!Advertise here!