A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2013, 04:21 PM   #281
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
Curious to know subjective differences in sound running choke loaded psu / tube rectified psu compares to the standard psu kit offered by Doede? Also Supersurfer, noticed you are using pair of red black gates on the psu instead of the nichicons. Much diff?

Cheers
I didn't compare directly with the nichicons in the dddac supply. The black gates were lying around and I had some good results with these in super E-cap ( they are non-polars) configuration with a previous dac, so I just put them in.
I have not tweaked with other things because I am still optimising with the shunt regulators and sowters, also some salas shunt boards are lying around that I will try first.

The supply and dac boards are difficult to desolder because of the big ground plane (it dissipates all the heat of the soldering iron) so exchanging components is not an easy task. Even when I use a desoldering iron with suction pump

Btw: The nichicons muse that Doede selected are pretty good also!
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:09 PM   #282
diyAudio Member

Default building project on Audio Creative

Hi Doede,

There is a nice building project of your PCM1794 DAC on Audio-Creative:
Lot's of pic's as well

We gaan verder met Deel 2 van de bouw van de DDDAC 1794 NOS DIY DAC waarin we gedetailleerd ingaan op de bouw er van en mogelijke tweaks. - Audio-Creative
Old 4th April 2013, 01:34 AM   #283
diyAudio Member

Do the output capacitors have to be 2.2uf? Can I use 0.1uf for that?
Old 4th April 2013, 01:39 AM   #284
dogears is offline dogears  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Secured a Benchmark DAC-1 already but item is still in Singapore :P
Old 4th April 2013, 03:00 AM   #285
bravi is offline bravi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Choke loaded supply

Hi Supersurfer,

Ref your question whether choke loading is necessary with a regulated supply. The basic approach I have found useful even for solid state is to get the raw supply ripple as smooth as possible. With the choke loaded supply I have used, the out put ripple in the raw supply is in the mv range and is a smooth sine wave of 100hz frequency(Checked this on an oscilloscope). Without choke loading the sharp charging currents have harmonics which you can only reduce with a regulator, not eliminate. This does impact sound quality.

An example of my experience.When upgrading my Revox B77 open reel tape machine, I used a Jung type super regulator (developed by AL Weekes) to replace a 7820 type regulator. This step resulted in a big improvement in sound. When I added a Gyrator to smoothen the ripple from the raw supply, another jump up in the quality. Finally, last week I added a common mode choke after the raw supply as I had concerns about rfi pollution of mains in my location. This resulted in another huge jump in sound quality. Now. listening to 4 track reel tapes from the 60s and 70s, I am able to realise the inherent high quality of recording in some them, when listening through headphones. Did not expect this to happen. Hence, my approach re PSU.

To summarise, a well smoothed raw supply with only 100hz ripple in the raw supply may enable the regulator to perform at its optimium level and help in obtaining the best possible sound from the DAC.

Sorry for the long message. Hope, this is of assistance.

Cheers!
Old 4th April 2013, 05:18 AM   #286
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxiaob View Post
Do the output capacitors have to be 2.2uf? Can I use 0.1uf for that?
That is covered on my Website...

Output Options
Old 4th April 2013, 05:21 AM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravi View Post
Hi Supersurfer,

Ref your question whether choke loading is necessary with a regulated supply. The basic approach I have found useful even for solid state is to get the raw supply ripple as smooth as possible. With the choke loaded supply I have used, the out put ripple in the raw supply is in the mv range and is a smooth sine wave of 100hz frequency(Checked this on an oscilloscope). Without choke loading the sharp charging currents have harmonics which you can only reduce with a regulator, not eliminate. This does impact sound quality.

An example of my experience.When upgrading my Revox B77 open reel tape machine, I used a Jung type super regulator (developed by AL Weekes) to replace a 7820 type regulator. This step resulted in a big improvement in sound. When I added a Gyrator to smoothen the ripple from the raw supply, another jump up in the quality. Finally, last week I added a common mode choke after the raw supply as I had concerns about rfi pollution of mains in my location. This resulted in another huge jump in sound quality. Now. listening to 4 track reel tapes from the 60s and 70s, I am able to realise the inherent high quality of recording in some them, when listening through headphones. Did not expect this to happen. Hence, my approach re PSU.

To summarise, a well smoothed raw supply with only 100hz ripple in the raw supply may enable the regulator to perform at its optimium level and help in obtaining the best possible sound from the DAC.

Sorry for the long message. Hope, this is of assistance.

Cheers!
Hi Bravi, fully agree, the Regulation does it Thing and less garbage in, is less garbage out
Old 4th April 2013, 05:22 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.knibbeling View Post
Hi Doede,

There is a nice building project of your PCM1794 DAC on Audio-Creative:
Lot's of pic's as well

We gaan verder met Deel 2 van de bouw van de DDDAC 1794 NOS DIY DAC waarin we gedetailleerd ingaan op de bouw er van en mogelijke tweaks. - Audio-Creative
Indeed, great article. Even if you don't speak dutch, the many Pictures are telling a good Story as well!
Old 4th April 2013, 05:19 PM   #289
diyAudio Member

Hi Bravi,

I understand your approach. I have used a shunt regulator in a tube amp that had a tube rectifier and two chokes in front of the shunt regulator. This worked fine except for one thing, the power mosfets were very sucseptable to voltage peaks and I got tired of exchanging them after every break down. So I finally got rid of the shunt regulator and used a simple unregulated supply with: cap,choke,cap,choke,cap,choke,cap. This worked perfectly and I never had the urge to use a supply regulator again.

To put this in perspective; the amp was a single ended type so everything that comes out of the supply will be amplified and heard.

This got me wondering if it would not be an idea to use an unregulated choke supply on the dac. The current draw would probably be fairly steady because the dac chips run in balanced mode.

Can you confirm this Doede?

Selection of shottky diodes and use of resistors around the diodes will also help in stopping inrush peaks. However not as effevtively as a choke, but it is much more compact and cheap.

Regards,

Last edited by Supersurfer; 4th April 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 4th April 2013, 05:38 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Hi Bravi,

I understand your approach. I have used a shunt regulator in a tube amp that had a tube rectifier and two chokes in front of the shunt regulator. This worked fine except for one thing, the power mosfets were very sucseptable to voltage peaks and I got tired of exchanging them after every break down. So I finally got rid of the shunt regulator and used a simple unregulated supply with: cap,choke,cap,choke,cap,choke,cap. This worked perfectly and I never had the urge to use a supply regulator again.

To put this in perspective; the amp was a single ended type so everything that comes out of the supply will be amplified and heard.

This got me wondering if it would not be an idea to use an unregulated choke supply on the dac. The current draw would probably be fairly steady because the dac chips run in balanced mode.

Can you confirm this Doede?

Selection of shottky diodes and use of resistors around the diodes will also help in stopping inrush peaks. However not as effevtively as a choke, but it is much more compact and cheap.

Regards,
yes, I can confirm... current is very constant, just varying like 5-10mA per Board when 44 or 192 is playing or no Signal is applied...

Hide this!Advertise here!