A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi guys,

I just finished building my 4deck DDDAC and I have a very strange problem. The output sounds like a badly tuned radio with a lot of static. When connected to an oscilloscope, it seems like there is a lot of digital noise (large signal steps) at the output (hard to see them clearly since I use an old analogue oscilloscope). I have the same problem with SPDIF input as well as with waveIO.
In thread 322, I have read about an issue with loading the I2S bus too much in case of 8decs which resulted in what looks like a similar issue. However that was with 8decs and I'm using only 4. Do you think that I might have the same problem? I checked the I2S signal by an oscilloscope after the resistors (directly on the top deck) and the amplitude appears 3.3V so it doesn’t look like the lines are being pulled down too much. I don't have a 5V regular available at the moment otherwise I would have tried swapping the 3.3V regulator as described in the mentioned thread. Can anybody think about something else that may cause this kind of problem?
Thanks

4 Decks is absolutely stable. 8 decks can be instable,(fix is on the way) but it never that strong as like what you described. Therefore we need to take this as an individual issue. Please send me an (normal) email and we will take it from there. There are a couple of things we need to go through to diagnose the Problem

thanks,
doede

4 Decks is absolutely stable. 8 decks can be instable,(fix is on the way) but it never that strong as like what you described. Therefore we need to take this as an individual issue. Please send me an (normal) email and we will take it from there. There are a couple of things we need to go through to diagnose the Problem

thanks,
doede

Had the same problem here with 4 decks. Doede´s advice was to increase the i2s voltage on the "motherboard". Problem solved with a +5v belleson!

apoo

Hey

i'm fairly new to the whole diy audio community.

I've heard a great deal about running circuits on a battery supply. dvb-projekt uses A123 LiFePo4 cells in his newest red barron design (altough not for the whole circuit i think).

Is it possible to run the WaveIO board and/or the dddac on batteries? What do you expect from it? Did anybody tried this?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
does someone also hear a noise floor when listening to 44,1khz? i have to upsample to minimum 88khz for a absolute quiet DAC..!

apoo

It is quantization noise. Normally you do not hear this, except when you use digital volume control (so the dac is always at full power to the end amplifier, or using a very sensitive system. Anyway, I just did some experiments with some 8-decks towers and found a very nice fix for this. Have a look at the picture. Basically you are decoupling the internal HF spikes from the A and B DAC inside the chip. By adding a capacitor at the top of the tower between A-pos and B-pos and one between A-neg and B-neg, things improve dramatically. Noise floor drops 10dB. D2 reduces to -60dB and d3 to -70dB. No surprise the sound gets a bit cleaner as well. Value is not critical. To have a roll off outside the audio band, use 2 – 5nF per deck . So 4 decks you could take 10nF, 15nF or 22nF, for 8 Decks the double. Just give it a try

Attachments

• dddac1794 8-Decks tweak.jpg
    dddac1794 8-Decks tweak.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,147
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice update, Doede!
By the way, do you know the cutoff frequency when using 2 nF per deck, then 5 nF per deck?
Reducing high frequencies a bit with the bonus of a lower quantization noise is really interesting.

sure... 5nF would be like 55 kHz, 2nF would be 140kHz ...
this is all linear in relation. 10nF would do 22kHz 1nF 280kHz

this is all -3dB Points -1dB Point is one octave lower... so 10nF would be a bit too much I think ;)

Cinemag transformer model

Hello All, I've joined the club and have been thoroughly enjoying Doede's DAC!
Just Breadboarded for now, but a case is in the works.

I am thinking of adding the Cinemag transformers. Is this the most appropriate model?
CMLI-15/15B2

Also planning on trying an Interstage Coupled 6AH4 Line Stage with no cap at the DAC ouput.

Thank you for the wonderful DAC Doede!!!

Attachments

• Doede DAC.jpg
    Doede DAC.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 1,428
Joined 2003
Paid Member
one question,

for I2S data, the 74VHC164 just delay Data signal but it does not split it to right and left data, as we know if pcm1794 work at no digital filter mode, it need left and right data, I use same circuit with pcm1792, it seems mix right channel and left channel

please download the schematics from my website or post on page one and see for yourself it does split very nicely into left and right channel. both R and L are completely in sync now other than simpler solutions where I2S is sequentially giving out L and R word...

Battery Power

Hey

i'm fairly new to the whole diy audio community.

I've heard a great deal about running circuits on a battery supply. dvb-projekt uses A123 LiFePo4 cells in his newest red barron design (altough not for the whole circuit i think).

Is it possible to run the WaveIO board and/or the dddac on batteries? What do you expect from it? Did anybody tried this?

Yes, I run both DAC and WaveIO from batteries, the DAV from a 11v 1200mAh LiPo and the WaveIO from a iPhone / iPad battery booster at 5v, both work fine and the overall sound is very clean & dynamic.
Regards
Howard

Hello All, I've joined the club and have been thoroughly enjoying Doede's DAC!
Just Breadboarded for now, but a case is in the works.

I am thinking of adding the Cinemag transformers. Is this the most appropriate model?
CMLI-15/15B2

Also planning on trying an Interstage Coupled 6AH4 Line Stage with no cap at the DAC ouput.

Thank you for the wonderful DAC Doede!!!

After a discussion with David at Cinemag he recommended the /15B as he couldn't really see any benefit for the /15B2 in this application. Mine are on order and should be here in a few weeks time.

It is quantization noise. Normally you do not hear this, except when you use digital volume control (so the dac is always at full power to the end amplifier, or using a very sensitive system. Anyway, I just did some experiments with some 8-decks towers and found a very nice fix for this. Have a look at the picture. Basically you are decoupling the internal HF spikes from the A and B DAC inside the chip. By adding a capacitor at the top of the tower between A-pos and B-pos and one between A-neg and B-neg, things improve dramatically. Noise floor drops 10dB. D2 reduces to -60dB and d3 to -70dB. No surprise the sound gets a bit cleaner as well. Value is not critical. To have a roll off outside the audio band, use 2 – 5nF per deck . So 4 decks you could take 10nF, 15nF or 22nF, for 8 Decks the double. Just give it a try

Nice tweak Doede, I've used 22nF on my 4 deck DDDAC and it does sound even better. I can't confirm with any measurements as I haven't got the equipment to do so.

Noise problem finally "solved"

Hi,

I finally managed to "solve" my problem with digital noise at the DDDAC output.
The problem was that I was going for a kind of unconventional build of the stack with two decks above and two below the motherboard. In my mind, this was supposed to be better for summing and distributing the signals since the wires were shorter which meant a tiny bit lower inductances. However, I ended up having very strong digital noise at the outputs. This phenomenon looked like rectangular steps superimposed on top of the main signal. Noise was mostly present when the amplitude of the signal was low, still it was very audible at the output. The situation was worse with SPDIF board (the board designed by Doede for DDDAC 1543) than with WaveIO. The noise became also much stronger when the BCK signal was touched by any kind of measuring instrument (multimeter, oscilloscope probe). I tried many different things. Some of the modifications reduced the noise but it was never really removed. At some point I found out that the stack works perfectly with 3 decks and the removed deck worked well by itself as well. When I ran out of ideas and decided that I remove the bottom deck and run the converter with only 3decks, I had an idea to try to connect the deck which was removed to the top of the stack. I was very surprised when turning the converter on, the noise was completely gone! To say that I solved the problem may be a very strong claim since I don't know what was the problem in the first place. For now I run my setup with 3 decks above and one below the motherboard and all is well.

I have also something to say about the capacitors between the A and B channel. I tried this as one of the solutions to my problem. It didn’t really work, but when the problem was finally solved the difference with and without the capacitors was very clear. Apart of the difference in sound, where before were quantisation steps in the signal when measured; now everything is very smooth. In addition to that, before when there was no signal played, the noise floor was +/- 2 quantisation steps wide. After adding the capacitors, the steps are not there anymore and the noise is closer to zero.

I hope that some will find this long story interesting and that someone may have an idea what was really wrong in my original stack. Thanks to Doede for email support, some of the ideas were very inspiring even though the final solution was very unconventional.

-----------------------------
Martin

I start the building of this DAC with 3 PSU (the 3rd one is for the WaveIO card) in a aspearated chassis and specific PS transformers.
I wll use 4 DAC modules with the 2 Sowther, so I have to adjust the Ra and Rb values to 68R.

I have read int he post #253 from my friend Almeg69 that he has used the 2W Audionote Non Magnetic resistors.

Do we have any feedback regarding the improvement these resistors bring ?

Thanks

Hi,

I hope that some will find this long story interesting and that someone may have an idea what was really wrong in my original stack. Thanks to Doede for email support, some of the ideas were very inspiring even though the final solution was very unconventional.

-----------------------------
Martin

Hi Martin,

Always interesting to share these kind of experience, this is what keeps mankind evolving.

However I am not sure as to what the problem with your setup was. Could it be a bad soldering joint that now is solved by moving the dac board?

Regards,