A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 12:46 PM   #211
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
Bas Horneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Blog Entries: 18
Quote:
The media player is JRiver and it is set-up to output through DDDAC USB driver.
There are more methods than one to connect through the DDDAC USB driver. But I think that JRiver asks if you want to use the WASAPI way. Which happens to be the best sounding mode. So I'm assuming you did hear the full potential of pc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 02:06 PM   #212
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Hi Jan,

Yes, I had thought about the i2s going through the SPDIF board and whether it could be affecting the sound, if you test it be sure to let us know. I've also thought about adding some sort of input selector but being a novice at this DIY I have no idea of what I would need.

The ZP80 I have is not standard, the switching PSU has been removed and it is now fed by two seperate power lines using Paul Hynes linear regulator boards. The SPDIF output socket has also been replaced with a true 75ohm connector.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 02:14 PM   #213
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
There are more methods than one to connect through the DDDAC USB driver. But I think that JRiver asks if you want to use the WASAPI way. Which happens to be the best sounding mode. So I'm assuming you did hear the full potential of pc.
JRiver is using WASPI-Event Style. One thing I have changed is the USB cable to a much shorter one, 1 meter, which has made a difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 08:27 PM   #214
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Hi Bas,

The streamer isn't actually mine, it's a friends who came to listen to the DDDAC last weekend. The media player is JRiver and it is set-up to output through DDDAC USB driver.
...and I am that friend. We tried my streamer through the SPDIF input first and the sound was not as good as IanS1 Sonos. Since I have left he has tried it through the USB and WaveIO and much better he says. The streamer runs off a SMPS and now IanS1 has built a linear supply and very good now and want to hear myself now!
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 08:10 AM   #215
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cologne, Germany
I did a lot experiments on the streaming front end. many different motherboards, windows version, mac etc. many differrent software player, cmp, cplay, jplay, jriver etcetc. At the end nothing is more natural sounding, transparent and dramatic than an Alix 1 Board and sotm isb-card with Mdpup, which is an idiot proofed Linux version and where you can use mpad, a very nice iOS based GUI for you ipad. This kills any windows machine or Sonos...I tried a Modified ZP90 as well. It was modified to use external clock though, not i2s out. if anyone has a modification for i2s out, i could try that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #216
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I did a lot experiments on the streaming front end. many different motherboards, windows version, mac etc. many differrent software player, cmp, cplay, jplay, jriver etcetc. At the end nothing is more natural sounding, transparent and dramatic than an Alix 1 Board and sotm isb-card with Mdpup, which is an idiot proofed Linux version and where you can use mpad, a very nice iOS based GUI for you ipad. This kills any windows machine or Sonos...I tried a Modified ZP90 as well. It was modified to use external clock though, not i2s out. if anyone has a modification for i2s out, i could try that.
I guess you are right...........

Regards,

An alix/mpdpup user ;-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 05:19 PM   #217
diyAudio Member
 
danny_66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lierde
If you're using windows then you can run Fidelizer.
It optimizes the windows processes for audio quality.
__________________
My RefSpeaker
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 05:30 PM   #218
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_66 View Post
If you're using windows then you can run Fidelizer.
It optimizes the windows processes for audio quality.
I have been using xxhighend and that has such a service included. This does make a significant improvement to windows machines, no doubt!

But a dedicated Alix/mpdpup unit is a nice step up from that level..........

Regards,
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 06:51 PM   #219
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Come on guys, this thread is going way off topic. Let's get back to DDDAC.

Anyone tried the Sowter output transformers or other transformers with the DDDAC?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 07:09 PM   #220
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Come on guys, this thread is going way off topic. Let's get back to DDDAC.

Anyone tried the Sowter output transformers or other transformers with the DDDAC?
My Alix/mpdpup is connected to the dddac with two boards.
I use the dddac power supplies 12v and 5v with minor modifications (black gate non polar antiparallel on output, film cap not soldered and elna silmic for the big caps.)
The alix is fed with a tent power supply.

Two extra boards with sowters are on their way to me (hopefully soon).

I also plan to mount tent shunt regulators on the dac boards, I wonder what that will do with the sound?

The sound is already pretty good and is a close match to my cd player/ dac combo but I hope this will improve with the planned modifications to exceed the cd player/dac performance ( I have a feeling that it will )
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Audio Widget (modified) Async USB DAC 24/192 ESS 9023 headphone friendly ASIO KS 2A3SET Swap Meet 5 15th August 2012 04:52 AM
Show my PCM1794 DAC TSOLINK + COAX + USB input, Line and headphone AMP output AWaudio Vendor's Bazaar 3 2nd January 2012 12:44 PM
GodDAC - 192/24 USB DAC BizonGod Digital Source 36 30th June 2011 03:16 PM
24 bit/192 kHz via USB? gentlevoice Everything Else 3 22nd December 2008 06:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2