A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 12:46 PM   #211
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The media player is JRiver and it is set-up to output through DDDAC USB driver.
There are more methods than one to connect through the DDDAC USB driver. But I think that JRiver asks if you want to use the WASAPI way. Which happens to be the best sounding mode. So I'm assuming you did hear the full potential of pc.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:06 PM   #212
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,

Yes, I had thought about the i2s going through the SPDIF board and whether it could be affecting the sound, if you test it be sure to let us know. I've also thought about adding some sort of input selector but being a novice at this DIY I have no idea of what I would need.

The ZP80 I have is not standard, the switching PSU has been removed and it is now fed by two seperate power lines using Paul Hynes linear regulator boards. The SPDIF output socket has also been replaced with a true 75ohm connector.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:14 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
There are more methods than one to connect through the DDDAC USB driver. But I think that JRiver asks if you want to use the WASAPI way. Which happens to be the best sounding mode. So I'm assuming you did hear the full potential of pc.
JRiver is using WASPI-Event Style. One thing I have changed is the USB cable to a much shorter one, 1 meter, which has made a difference.
Old 14th March 2013, 08:27 PM   #214
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Hi Bas,

The streamer isn't actually mine, it's a friends who came to listen to the DDDAC last weekend. The media player is JRiver and it is set-up to output through DDDAC USB driver.
...and I am that friend. We tried my streamer through the SPDIF input first and the sound was not as good as IanS1 Sonos. Since I have left he has tried it through the USB and WaveIO and much better he says. The streamer runs off a SMPS and now IanS1 has built a linear supply and very good now and want to hear myself now!
Old 15th March 2013, 08:10 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

I did a lot experiments on the streaming front end. many different motherboards, windows version, mac etc. many differrent software player, cmp, cplay, jplay, jriver etcetc. At the end nothing is more natural sounding, transparent and dramatic than an Alix 1 Board and sotm isb-card with Mdpup, which is an idiot proofed Linux version and where you can use mpad, a very nice iOS based GUI for you ipad. This kills any windows machine or Sonos...I tried a Modified ZP90 as well. It was modified to use external clock though, not i2s out. if anyone has a modification for i2s out, i could try that.
Old 15th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I did a lot experiments on the streaming front end. many different motherboards, windows version, mac etc. many differrent software player, cmp, cplay, jplay, jriver etcetc. At the end nothing is more natural sounding, transparent and dramatic than an Alix 1 Board and sotm isb-card with Mdpup, which is an idiot proofed Linux version and where you can use mpad, a very nice iOS based GUI for you ipad. This kills any windows machine or Sonos...I tried a Modified ZP90 as well. It was modified to use external clock though, not i2s out. if anyone has a modification for i2s out, i could try that.
I guess you are right...........

Regards,

An alix/mpdpup user ;-)
Old 15th March 2013, 05:19 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

If you're using windows then you can run Fidelizer.
It optimizes the windows processes for audio quality.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:30 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_66 View Post
If you're using windows then you can run Fidelizer.
It optimizes the windows processes for audio quality.
I have been using xxhighend and that has such a service included. This does make a significant improvement to windows machines, no doubt!

But a dedicated Alix/mpdpup unit is a nice step up from that level..........

Regards,
Old 15th March 2013, 06:51 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Come on guys, this thread is going way off topic. Let's get back to DDDAC.

Anyone tried the Sowter output transformers or other transformers with the DDDAC?
Old 15th March 2013, 07:09 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Come on guys, this thread is going way off topic. Let's get back to DDDAC.

Anyone tried the Sowter output transformers or other transformers with the DDDAC?
My Alix/mpdpup is connected to the dddac with two boards.
I use the dddac power supplies 12v and 5v with minor modifications (black gate non polar antiparallel on output, film cap not soldered and elna silmic for the big caps.)
The alix is fed with a tent power supply.

Two extra boards with sowters are on their way to me (hopefully soon).

I also plan to mount tent shunt regulators on the dac boards, I wonder what that will do with the sound?

The sound is already pretty good and is a close match to my cd player/ dac combo but I hope this will improve with the planned modifications to exceed the cd player/dac performance ( I have a feeling that it will )

Hide this!Advertise here!