A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2013, 07:13 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Hi, what size of enclosure is appropriate for dddac 1794, 4 layers and including powersupplies and eventually space for the special sowther output trafos?
Regards
Kjartan
Old 18th February 2013, 07:28 PM   #142
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Obviously it depends on how you lay everything out, mine is currently setup on a board which measures: 500 x 300mm and the 4 DAC boards measure 110mm high. I'm also using 3 PSU's and a SPDIF input board.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:19 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Obviously it depends on how you lay everything out, mine is currently setup on a board which measures: 500 x 300mm and the 4 DAC boards measure 110mm high. I'm also using 3 PSU's and a SPDIF input board.
Thanks. I was thinking of a layout similar to the one Doede shows in #1.
Kjartan
Old 18th February 2013, 10:44 PM   #144
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Deckers View Post
I did build two already. One with one deck, and the other with four decks. And now I will make some serious listeningtests. Also with the outputcaps, auricaps vs mundorf silvergoldoil.
It is in mho the best dac I heard. Just sold a totally tweaked v-dac......that little one had space, pinpoint and so on...(and even was better then an Altmann dac) ....but the dddac .... Is another story......it is the beautiful girl standing before you in the most beautiful lingerie........but then for the ears. The secret in audioworld......sssshhhhhht.
Hello Jan,

Interested to read how you find 1 board vs 4 boards. Also auricap vs mundorf sgo.

I have recently ordered the 5v and 12v psu kits to power my single board dddac.

Before this dac, I was running doede's 120chip paralleled dddac1543 mk2 usb. very nice sounding dac, even though was feeding it a very sub-optimal high-current power supply.
Old 19th February 2013, 08:16 AM   #145
dogears is offline dogears  Philippines
diyAudio Member

120chips' insane I have 16chips running until I messed up with the I2S board kit :P
Wish I could hear that 120chips just for the experience.
signing in...
Old 20th February 2013, 01:08 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

I heard Doede and a group of dddac'ers in Germany tried 240chips paralleled!

Anyways, if possible, are DDDAC1794 NOS users able to please post some photos of how they have implemented their builds so far please? Quite interested in this.

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2013, 12:08 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

I'm going to order soon

Has anyone compared the dddac1794 against the Benchmark DAC1?
Old 21st February 2013, 12:40 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Hi dogears,

Great stuff. Am sure you will not be disappointed.

I have tried the Benchmark DAC1 HDR on my system (4-way GOTO horn system) and while being resolute and dynamic, all music had digital edge to it (overly 'sharp' and 'crisp'). Doesn't sound 'natural' in comparison to the dddac.

Very subjective.. I understand
Old 21st February 2013, 12:48 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

There's 1 currently for sale locally and I am very tempted to get it just for reference and probably tweaking (cap replacement) It's being sold for ~EUR518

I think I am the sole DDDACer here in my country I went only up to 16chips but the sound is already 'analog' like with 'scary bass' [very natural sounding i.e.] lines. 240chips... maybe as good as an expensive turntable setup already huh?!
Old 21st February 2013, 03:08 PM   #150
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There's 1 currently for sale locally and I am very tempted to get it just for reference and probably tweaking (cap replacement) It's being sold for ~EUR518
Do you use SPDIF or USB? If you are able to use USB. I would suggest getting something like the ODAC as a reference (not tweakable really) But it is quite a good DAC especially for the money. I find it sounds a little forward. But it sure retrieves a lot of detail from the music. Since 518 euro is quite a lot of money just to have a reference. Essentially I'm posting because I found out recently that it is quite handy to have a reference.

Hide this!Advertise here!