A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input) - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 09:20 AM   #101
clivem is offline clivem  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddac View Post
absolutely correct, but I assume spdif to be used with CD players or similar applications. if you have material at higher speed, this is not possible. Hence the USB solution...
Yes, of course. I was just thinking out loud. (For example, my Logitech Touch can output 192kHz from SPDIF.) It wasn't clear from your web page that 96kHz would be a limit if you were going to use your SPDIF->I2S converter with the DDAC1794, so I just thought I'd point it out.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:43 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda2 View Post
Probably I'll go with optical connection (galvanic separation) so I'll need TOSLINK 24/192 input and I2s output.
There be another can of worms..... Most TOSLINK isn't capable of transmitting >96kHz, even when the electrical SPDIF connection is. Before you go down that path you need to be sure that whatever you are using as a source is capable of putting out > 96kHz via optical. Don't assume it is just because the electrical connection can.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:48 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

I've got a confession to make and it probably qualifies me for some sort of award for stupidity.......

I couldn't detect any difference at all, the WaveIO being bus powered, compared to using an external supply. Should have read the manual. Don't know what I was thinking, that it would auto-sense the external supply. So I thought I was using an external supply by virtue of the fact that I had connected one to the WaveIO board, but not realised that I needed to move a jumper to actually be using it....... LOL.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:20 AM   #104
staki is offline staki  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Gold medalist: clivem !

Yes, as the Linux fans usually say: RTFM ! (Read The Fuc**ing Manual)

Cheers,
staki
Old 29th December 2012, 11:44 AM   #105
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
LOL clivem.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:55 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
There be another can of worms..... Most TOSLINK isn't capable of transmitting >96kHz, even when the electrical SPDIF connection is. Before you go down that path you need to be sure that whatever you are using as a source is capable of putting out > 96kHz via optical. Don't assume it is just because the electrical connection can.
What's the reason for ? Is it a problem of optic fiber quality ? Or Torx connector quality ? or anything else ?
Old 29th December 2012, 12:58 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staki View Post
What's the reason for ? Is it a problem of optic fiber quality ? Or Torx connector quality ? or anything else ?
Optical hardware.... Transmitters / receivers.... Whether they have the bandwidth (>9Mbps) to handle 192kHz. Sometimes there are software limits. Last time I came across this with with a friends mac. Regardless of whether the port could handle >96kHz, software limited output at 96kHz. It's all a bit hit and miss. There is plenty of kit out there where the manufacturer doesn't want to stand behind the spec, so they deliberately state the optical port is only capable of 96kHz, although with the wind in the right direction and dependant on the source feeding it, it might be more than happy to work flawlessly as 192kHz. The Cambridge streaming player (network music thingy / DAC) is one example of this. Another example, would be my Logitech Touch. It's capable of putting out 192kHz electrical, but the optical port isn't capable of sending it reliably. YMMV.
Old 29th December 2012, 01:36 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

And even on some professional soundcards the ADAT Toslink output is capable of 8 x 16/48, so 12, 28 Mbps.
Old 29th December 2012, 02:35 PM   #109
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
I've got a confession to make and it probably qualifies me for some sort of award for stupidity.......

I couldn't detect any difference at all, the WaveIO being bus powered, compared to using an external supply. Should have read the manual. Don't know what I was thinking, that it would auto-sense the external supply. So I thought I was using an external supply by virtue of the fact that I had connected one to the WaveIO board, but not realised that I needed to move a jumper to actually be using it....... LOL.
Actually I felt ashamed of asking this

anyway do you now hear any difference?
Old 29th December 2012, 04:28 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Actually I felt ashamed of asking this
No, assume I am a sandwich short of a picnic and you won't be too far wrong! Sometimes I get so bogged down with focusing on the smallest of details that I end up missing the things that should be blindingly obvious! It's not the first time and it won't be the last......

Quote:
anyway do you now hear any difference?
Yes, and on my headphone rig, (which I've spent most of the day listening through), it's not subtle. I'm rather surprised!

(I still stand by my earlier comments about the 12V supply to the mainboard not seeming to make a difference. A decent low ripple supply, shunt or series regulated, and I don't think you would be able to pick which supply is being used in a blind listening test. And no jumper movement required so I can't have messed-up there.)

I'll post some more comments on external power for the WaveIO later. I've had a pretty good listen with a shunt reg and one of those LT1674 (linear reg) eBay modules, with the jumper correctly set for external power.

Hide this!Advertise here!