Help with Behringer DEQ2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Mates

I am assembling a second system in my bedroom. I have vintage speakers and I would like to use my NAD 214 amplifier and a netbook as digital source.

Now I should buy a preamp to interface source with amp, but I don't need to play LP, hence I don't waste money. I tried to connect the PC to a DAC and going directly into the AMP, but the maximum output is too low and I assume that the DAC is not able to drive the amp. The other issue is that I also like to have a bit of eq capabilities.

Doing some search I came across this DEQ2496, and my idea is the following chain:

netbook -> USB -> M2Tech interface -> SPDIF -> DEQ2496 -> NAD 214 -> speakers

Now I read the DEQ2496 manual and it seems it should be possible but I have some doubts:

1. Will the DEQ2496 be able to drive the amp directly?

2. Will it be possible to control the volume digitally either on PC and/or on the DEQ2496

3. Just in case I want to play from an analogue source (eg a an old cdp without SPDIF output), is that possible to swhitch inputs on the DEQ2496 while playing?

Sorry for those questions, but I am not an exeprt about processors and I really couldn't get that from the manual.

Best Wishes
Pierre

1. Yes but it will have too much gain - you must use an analogue 2ch volume control after the DEQ - the simplest would be a passive 10K or so pot

2. From PC - yes, from DEQ - no, it doesn't have volume control (neither digital nor analog).

3. Yes, just like switching inputs on a preamp: you can switch between analogue input and two digital ones (one AES via XLR, the other SPDIF via Toslink).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I agree with what Draki says above, and it is pretty much how I run my system.
My sources are either a Squeezebox touch or the SPDIF output of a USB soundcard. I use a little digital volume control in the Squeezbox or the computer, max about 10dB.

I come out of my modified DEQ into a volume control before any amp that does not have a volume control. That allows me to have the gain in the range where I need it. With an amp that has a volume control, I don't need an extra volume pot in line because the gain can be set at the amp. The stock output of the DEQ is pretty hot, so often needs to be turned way down.

You should be able to set yours up in the same way easily.

Push "Utility" button and on the first page and 3rd or 4th line you have a parameter that adjust +/- 15 dB of gain. A range of 30dB is about nothing to lose by a 24-bit digital volume.

I stand corrected - this indeed is an option that works.... Thanks Dorin for pointing.

One question: if the 0 dB of gain is full resolution, and if we lose some by reducing the volume (to a max of -15 dB), then what is the situation when increasing (to a max of +15 dB)? Losing resolution also? .....

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Resolution doesn't change, just the level. With 24 bits it's not really something to worry about. What are the possible levels in 24 bit? Over 16 million?

The adjustment will work as a volume control, but isn't the most user friendly.

You should be able to do your volume control from the netbook, either via the player app or the mixer software. Yes you will "lose" some resolution but it's not worth worrying about. You can "gain stage" your playback chain, which means simply to have the analog out of the DEQ as high as possible going to the amp. I use my DEQ as a Bose 901 (+ room + subjective) EQ and it works fine.

I might have a strange version of the DEQ, but I can adjust the volume via the GEQ setting. Clicking the small round button allows "volume control" over the full band....unfortunately at the cost of "bits".

Not the most elegant, but works.

It's not strange,but normally:) Fresher software versions (1.13,1.14) include this function .There is text from user manual: "In the GEQ function,press the upper left encoder to edit the GEO global gain cotrol.gain range is -15 to +15db"
Probably,it is same function,that hidden under utilities,only included in GEQ screen

thanks a lot!

hello

thanks a lot for all your answers... very helpful!

I don't have a volume control on the amp, so I think I am going to install a volume pot on the output.

Sorry form my ignorance, but I would like to understand how the gain chain between equipment works expecially when you mix pro with hifi equipment. there is any literature/source I read to clear myself?

best
P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.