Digital, but not by the numbers - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 07:48 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Ah, OK, I thought this was a discussion forum, not some sort of blog-in-a-hundred-small-messages.
You're picking up the strawman technique from Trevor?

Quote:
My apologies for the misunderstanding. I will stop interfering with your monologue.
As you wish.

Alternatively, you could participate in the discussion by answering my question to you earlier. Its a characteristic of trolls to make claims but then not return to engage in the resulting discussion.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:04 AM   #62
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Alternatively, you could participate in the discussion by answering my question to you earlier. Its a characteristic of trolls to make claims but then not return to engage in the resulting discussion.
Fair enough - I guess I owe you an answer. I have no idea if you are an engineer or not. I also don't know anything about Charles Altmann, but this is what he himself states: "I have been tweaking with audio amplifiers for some time. Although I have studied electronics some years ago, as I started with amps, I had no idea of how an audio amplifier would function."

Does that make him a qualified engineer? I don't know.

Now, how about you, in turn, telling what this has to do with anything at all?
Old 29th November 2012, 08:13 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
So it rather looks like your original contention 'all engineers' doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny.

Notice that you yourself moved the discussion onto engineers, now you change 'engineer' into 'qualified engineer'.

What it has to do with anything at all is for you to tell us, seeing as you brought the 'hive mind' of 'all engineers' up. What was your point precisely? If you were saying that a large proportion of engineers in digital audio engage in groupthink then I find myself agreeing with you.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:30 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What it has to do with anything at all is for you to tell us, seeing as you brought the 'hive mind' of 'all engineers' up. What was your point precisely? If you were saying that a large proportion of engineers in digital audio engage in groupthink then I find myself agreeing with you.
The hive mind quip was only in response to your assumption that I somehow was the user "skamp" on another board - just because I borrowed one line from the posting you linked to.

You put a smiley after your "You are skamp and I claim my five pounds" statement, so I assumed it was fair game to continue in a facetious style.

Let's not get into a discussion about audiophile groupthink...
Old 29th November 2012, 08:46 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The hive mind quip was only in response to your assumption that I somehow was the user "skamp" on another board - just because I borrowed one line from the posting you linked to.
Lobby Lud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So would you like to substantiate the claim or were you just parroting skamp? If you really mean it then let's see some meat on the bones so we have something real to chew on. I took it you just put it in as a throwaway since you provided no corroboration for its veracity.

Quote:
Let's not get into a discussion about audiophile groupthink...
Ah I wasn't talking about 'audiophile' groupthink, I agree that would be quite boring. If you note I referred to engineers in digital audio which isn't quite the same group of people.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:00 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So would you like to substantiate the claim or were you just parroting skamp
I think it is a "claim" in the same sense as your claim about me being "skamp".

But I guess a reference to the wikipedia entry on the appropriate idiom/meme is called for:

Drinking the Kool-Aid

And on that bombshell....
Old 29th November 2012, 09:47 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think it is a "claim" in the same sense as your claim about me being "skamp".
Exhibit one for why its you that's drunk the Kool-Aid. It was a question not a claim, but for some reason (perhaps sloppy editing, perhaps Freudian who knows?) you deleted the question mark. It was a question in the form of an invitation - will you put up, or shut up?
Old 29th November 2012, 09:56 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Exhibit one for why its you that's drunk the Kool-Aid. It was a question not a claim, but for some reason (perhaps sloppy editing, perhaps Freudian who knows?) you deleted the question mark. It was a question in the form of an invitation - will you put up, or shut up?
I know I really should not respond to this any more, but I call your BS.

Here is the *full* quote of your message:

Quote:
You are skamp and I claim my five pounds
Could you please point out the question mark I deleted?

And on that bombshell....
Old 29th November 2012, 10:03 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could you please point out the question mark I deleted?
<edit> Its struck me on reflection that the sentence you began with 'I think its a claim' might have been referring to your own earlier posting concerning Kool-Aid and I took the 'it' to refer to what you'd quoted directly above coz I can't think why you would have an opinion (rather than direct knowledge) of what you yourself wrote.
Attached Images
File Type: png julf-exhibit1.png (8.0 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by abraxalito; 29th November 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:18 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Ah. I think I answered that one already.

Hide this!Advertise here!