Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 08:37 AM   #341
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

The differences have always been trivially obvious to me, even when listening over mediocre PC speakers. The same track, resampled to higher and higher resolutions always steadily improved, and this is specifically in the region of high frequency accuracy. The fine shimmer of a ride cymbal is an easy marker -- it starts off sounding like some vague hissing noise at lo res, and at the other end of the spectrum becomes a proper instrument ...

Frank
Old 13th December 2012, 08:40 AM   #342
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
The differences have always been trivially obvious to me, even when listening over mediocre PC speakers.
Curious to hear what you think is the cause of the improvement, considering the PC speakers probably don't go above 15 kHz...
Old 13th December 2012, 08:49 AM   #343
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Curious to hear what you think is the cause of the improvement, considering the PC speakers probably don't go above 15 kHz...
Agree about the frequency thing, to me it's all about the ability of the usually nondescript S-D D/A to do its job properly, in the face of heavy interference from surrounding electronics. With a lo res version of the track, so much on the fly processing has to be done, on the PC side and then in the chip itself, that the quality of the D/A conversion suffers. With a high res signal being fed in, minimal extra processing is required and quality improves.

I've done this exercise several times, and provided the chip and speaker electronics were thoroughly "warmed up" it was easy to pick the variation.

Frank
Old 13th December 2012, 08:58 AM   #344
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

I can always pick a difference with regard to a 44.1khz track played back at different sample rates. And with regard to higher frequencies, I tend to agree that they sound better at higher rates. But where I disagree is that overall the sound is "better".
I find that up-sampling is a trade-off. I have found that ( when listening to the same track) I perceive bass / mid tonality and dynamics to sound better at 44.1 or 48khz.
In other words, with up-sampling highs sound better, but everything else sounds worse!

But I do find that a native 96khz recording played back at 96khz can sound perfectly fine.
Old 13th December 2012, 09:10 AM   #345
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
But where I disagree is that overall the sound is "better".
I find that up-sampling is a trade-off. I have found that ( when listening to the same track) I perceive bass / mid tonality and dynamics to sound better at 44.1 or 48khz.
In other words, with up-sampling highs sound better, but everything else sounds worse!

But I do find that a native 96khz recording played back at 96khz can sound perfectly fine.
Very interesting. At least someone else has noted that upsampling makes a difference, and that the highs, which is usually where the problems are, are improved. That the dynamics, etc, are lessened I find very surprising, doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps different ears, different equipment, different resampling software -- I use Audacity to do the job.

Have you tried downsampling that native 96kHz to 44.1, then back up again to 96, and comparing original to new?

Frank
Old 13th December 2012, 09:19 AM   #346
diyAudio Member

It does not make much sense but this is what I heard.

well, I think we have actually been talking about different things.
I think when you say upsampling you are talking about converting a file to a different sample rate, then saving the file, then playing it back.

I have been talking about using the player, either foobar or cPlay to playback a file in real time, at a different sample rate.

I think your way might add dithering, I think my way does not.
Can we discuss?
Old 13th December 2012, 09:25 AM   #347
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Listener fatigue is the unknown factor, in listening tests.
This is why I prefer AB (two points of comparison) tests rather than ABCDEFG tests. Anyone can become muddled when listening to too many tracks, or equipment. But it is usually easy to declare a preference when comparing only one thing to another.

And this is why I am taking a whole week to analyze and verify mods done to my tda1543 russian dac.

Last edited by freax; 13th December 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 09:28 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

On second thought cPlay uses selectable SOX or SRC to upsample.
And now I remember that I did prefer one over the other, but that both of them created a weird sound that irritated me, and so now I just play back at either 44.1 or 48khz. Even though this has a downside, I find this one the less irritating than the other.

Neither way is correct... back to the drawing board....
Old 13th December 2012, 09:30 AM   #349
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Very interesting. At least someone else has noted that upsampling makes a difference, and that the highs, which is usually where the problems are, are improved. That the dynamics, etc, are lessened I find very surprising, doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps different ears, different equipment, different resampling software -- I use Audacity to do the job.

Have you tried downsampling that native 96kHz to 44.1, then back up again to 96, and comparing original to new?

Frank
Ive also noticed a difference when using my sony's dac and 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz

And yes, the highs are less harsh and I prefer this sound on the sony's mystery dac when its being run at 48kHz, but I always assumed that there was some kind of DSP screwing around with the sound to make some kind of profile for it at different modes.

But since building the tda1543 with a cs8412 I haven't noticed much if any change between 44.1 and 48kHz, it might need more time for me to listen in.

Last edited by freax; 13th December 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 09:40 AM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
well, I think we have actually been talking about different things.
I think when you say upsampling you are talking about converting a file to a different sample rate, then saving the file, then playing it back.

I have been talking about using the player, either foobar or cPlay to playback a file in real time, at a different sample rate.

I think your way might add dithering, I think my way does not.
Can we discuss?
Indeed we have. The crucial thing is that any conversion is done offline, otherwise the processing of the player software also joins the party, in terms of creating electrical interference.

No dithering occurs with the resampling, it's all about interpolation, working out the inbetween values. This is what happens anyway, one way or the other, when playback occurs ... my exercise was for that to happen during another time period ...

I went through a bizarre example where a 20k bytes MP3 file ended up the size of around 500Meg. And blow me down, that monstrous end result was far superior to the original, compressed version, on playback.

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!